Juan Mata

Severinb

DEAR AVB,

NEXT TIME YOU KNOW ABOUT A TRANSFER AND YOU MUMBLE I KNOW NOTHING OF THIS! IMMA SHAVE YOUR BEARDS OFF AND SERVE THEM AS FOOD TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M HAPPY THO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOURS SINCERELY

A CHELSEA FAN

I don't know what the fuck that means but I agree with you.

On 21 August 2011, Valencia announced they had agreed a £23.5 million fee for the transfer of Mata to Premier League club Chelsea, subject to a medical. On 24 August 2011, Mata signed a five-year deal with Chelsea. He revealed that Fernando Torres helped persuade him to move to Stamford Bridge, saying "Fernando got me excited about the thought of coming here. He said it would be good for me here, and that me and him together could be good. I also talked to my family and friends about it as well."

On 26 August 2011, Yossi Benayoun offered Juan Mata his number 10 shirt. The Israeli captain said: "I decided to give Mata the number 10 his favourite. For me it's just a number, not my lucky 15." (Florent Malouda wears number 15 for Chelsea.) Mata wore the shirt for Valencia, and for Spain's Under 21s in the summer and expressed his gratitude to Benayoun. "It is a very important number to me so I'm pleased to be wearing it. I want to thank Yossi," he said. Mata follows on from Chelsea players Joe Cole, Mark Hughes, Ian Hutchinson and Terry Venables in adopting the number 10 shirt.

201112 season

Mata made his debut for Chelsea against Norwich City on 27 August 2011 where he came on as a substitute and scored in stoppage time. Chelsea went on to win the match 31. He started his first game for his new club in their next fixture on 10 September away to Sunderland, helping Chelsea secure a 21 win. On 14 September Mata made his Champions League debut for Chelsea and netted in stoppage time to help his side defeat Bayer Leverkusen 20. On 29 October, Mata assisted Chelsea's 6,000th league goal with an in-swinging cross which was headed in by Frank Lampard. In the same game, Mata scored with a spectacular 25 yard strike in a 35 home defeat to Arsenal. On 26 November 2011, Mata set up the first two goals which were scored by John Terry and Daniel Sturridge and also scored the third goal himself in a 30 win against Wolverhampton Wanderers. He was awarded the Man of The Match in a 03 away win at St James' Park for his performance against Newcastle United.

On 6 December 2011, during Chelsea's decisive Champions League match against former club Valencia, Mata made two assists for both of Didier Drogba goals. The game ended in a 30 win, which resulted in Chelsea qualifying first from their group. On Boxing Day, Mata scored his side's only goal in a 11 draw at Stamford Bridge against Fulham. Mata scored Chelsea's first goal of their FA Cup campaign in a 40 win over Portsmouth at Stamford Bridge.

In the FA Cup 4th round tie with QPR at Loftus Road, Mata scored his side's only goal from the penalty spot a 10 victory. On 5 February 2012, Mata scored an unstoppable volley against Manchester United after a beautiful cross from Spanish team-mate Fernando Torres. The game finished 33. On 21 February, Mata scored his side's only goal in their 31 defeat away at Napoli in the first leg of the Champions League round of 16.

After the appointment of Roberto di Matteo as Interim first-team coach, Mata was played as a central attacking midfielder rather than being played on the left wing. Mata scored and had a penalty saved by Colin Doyle in the 5th Round replay against Birmingham City at St Andrews, which Chelsea won 20, he helping them into the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and continued his trait of scoring in each round, however this run ended against Leicester City in the quarter-final, which Chelsea won 52. On 7 April 2012, Mata scored his 11th goal of the season against Wigan Athletic, it was a vital goal that gave the Blues a 21 victory over the Latics and kept alive Chelsea's fight for a Champions League spot. On 15 April 2012, in Chelsea's 51 win against Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup Semi-final at Wembley, Mata scored a controversial goal and assisted Ramires and Florent Malouda for their goals, adding to his statistic's in the 201112 FA Cup with 4 goals and 3 assists. Mata started in both legs of Chelsea's Champions League semi-final clash with reigning champions Barcelona, helping his side to a 32 win on aggregate and set up a final clash with Bayern Munich on 19 May.

Mata provided two assists to fellow Spaniard Fernando Torres, in the 61 thrashing of West London rivals Queens Park Rangers on 29 April, bringing his tally to 13 Premier League assists on the season. Mata assisted the first goal in the FA Cup Final which Ramires scored, as Chelsea beat Liverpool 21 at Wembley, with Mata picking up Man of the Match award. On 10 May 2012, Mata was rewarded for his consistent form throughout his first Chelsea season by the fans voting him the club's Player of the Year, following on from Chelsea legends such as Dennis Wise and Gianfranco Zola, whom he had been compared to on various occasions.

In the Champions League final against Bayern Munich on 19 May 2012, Mata assisted Didier Drogba's headed equalizer, via Mata's corner in the 88th minute. The match went on to extra-time then penalties, with Mata missing Chelsea's first. However, Chelsea won went on to win 43 in the penalty-shootout, lifting their first Champions League title. Mata finished his first season at Stamford Bridge with 573 passes, creating 66 chances and completing 61 successful crosses, which all contributed to Chelsea's cup-double winning season. He finished the premier league season with 13 assists (2nd highest in the league after David Silva) and 6 goals.

Click here to view the record

Some Spanish reports saying his medical will be done in next few hrs. Is he already in London? Maybe yesterdays rumour was true? :yes:

Woah woah woah, has it been confirmed?

Sorry, haven't been updating myself on events!

yes on Valencia website, and all spanish media