Juan Mata

Severinb

Dude, it has nothing to do with Oscar! I even said that had Willian and Oscar had bad matches, it still would make him look bad. It's how he questioned his superior authority like a spoiled child that bothered me. I bet all of you denfending it do the same in your professional environment.

As my posts are too long people may not read them til the end, but the last line I said I hope his actions as well as Oscar's shameful dive were a once-in-a-lifetime thing... I just disapprove that kind of reaction and if it was Luiz, Mikel, Suarez, or someone else, I'm positive a lot of people defending Mata here would be saying that's shameful too. I would despise their reaction the same way I despised Oscar's... one standard for all.

Well, your beloved Oscar was given a special treatment when Mourinho said 5 months ago that he was the choosen one and you didn't say anything about that.

no I didn't - although I said I think his main man is Hazard, not Oscar.

I was also one of the first to say Oscar should be dropped when he played awfully 3-4 weeks ago and also the first to criticize his shameful diving yesterday (by first I don't mean literally). So yeah, you have a point alright

It's how he questioned his superior authority like a spoiled child that bothered me.

That's your interpretation of it. My interpretation is that he was frustrated that he couldn't influence the game.

At the end of the day hes fucked off at not playing which for a team game has to be good -its a competitive sport, and surely it would have been worse if he'd strolled nonchalantly off, or even worse came off smiling.

I cant fault the man but, for the good of the team the best and most suitable players for the occasion must take precedence, which yesterday were Oscar and Willian.

That's your interpretation of it. My interpretation is that he was frustrated that he couldn't influence the game.

how come if he refused to greet Mourinho and if he pointed towards his direction in the sideline bitching with gestures, body language and probably language too? He was absolutely pissed at Mourinho, my interpretation of that is very clear, but you're right, it's my own interpretation.

I think you guys see what you want to see... but I won't discuss it anymore. As I said (and it doesn't apply to you) had it been other guys in our team or players hated around here, they'd be criticized til tomorrow. It's Mata so people find a way to defend it.

To interpret Mata´s behavior as he was pissed off because the team was not doing well at that moment is laughable.

Mata was pissed off because he was pulled out, as clearly seen.

To undermine Jose was wrong, even Essien tried to hold him back.

If PSG is willing to fork out 30m for him, let him go. Personally, I was always defending him, was not happy when he was not playing.

However, Chelsea is the team I root for & one Mata is not going to dictate where to play or how often.

Sorry to see it now, but Chelsea is the name & trophies are my game.

To be honest, whether it is what you expect of a Chelsea player or not, I imagine the majority of our squad members would do the same. In fact you could say Mata has been quite exemplary and patient up until and a lot of players would have done what he did yesterday far sooner.

I dont think the vast majority of our squad members would do that. Mata isnt the first person to ever be subbed when he wants to stay on.

For anyone that cares to read, here: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/mata-had-100-per-cent-pass-completion-why-144117558.html

It tries to explain why Mata was subbed off.

Doesn't really explain a lot other than he didn't have an attempt on goal. I thought he played well out of position, aside from his lack of athleticism, couple of great moments with Hazard. Can see him being immense for PSG, feeding Cavani and Ibra. Wish we could find a role for him, just won't be enough games for him as a no.10.

Doesn't really explain a lot other than he didn't have an attempt on goal. I thought he played well out of position, aside from his lack of athleticism, couple of great moments with Hazard. Can see him being immense for PSG, feeding Cavani and Ibra. Wish we could find a role for him, just won't be enough games for him as a no.10.

So you agree that he deserves more than what he's getting here?

I'd hate to see him go, but come on, he's too good to be a squad player. He's just not a Mourinho-type guy; he's pure offense.

So you agree that he deserves more than what he's getting here?

I'd hate to see him go, but come on, he's too good to be a squad player. He's just not a Mourinho-type guy; he's pure offense.

How is he too good to be a squad player?

I dont get that type of idea that players who are very talented cant be squad players. hIf e isnt too good to be a squad player for Spain, then he isnt too good to be a squad player for our club.

On the topic of mata, we WONT sell Mata people need to relax! It takes one long term injury to either oscar,hazard or willian and we will NEED Mata. Then he will have an opportunity to show his brilliance. In the end Mourinho makes the final decision and, he has said he does not want to sell mata.

How is he too good to be a squad player?

I dont get that type of idea that players who are very talented cant be squad players. hIf e isnt too good to be a squad player for Spain, then he isnt too good to be a squad player for our club.

You're comparing one of the most talented teams of all time to our club(who is a great team, but not best of all time)? Why?

I'm sorry, but I like the player and thinks he should be playing somewhere where he can get minutes in. Crucify me if you must, but I think my stance is understandable.

I think the whole argument of “well if [insert name of disliked player] did that, they would be crucified and beaten mercifully” is a somewhat slippery slope and I’m not sure if that’s a path we want to venture down for this particular issue. I could also use that slant and say, well if Mata had made headlines for going to our rivals’ Christmas party a day before our match against them, he probably wouldn’t have been so lucky to escape criticisms as Ash seemingly has been able to. My point is that we can sit here and trade “if this person did that” scenarios from now till tomorrow, but at the end of the day the fact still remains – using one, singular moment of outward frustration and ignoring all the other times that this player has been a model professional, all the other times this player has responded admirably - dismissing that and using that one incident to define this player well…..I’m sorry but that’s not only unreasonable but borders on narrow-mindedness.

If I’m an employee that is always early on time and I show up for work late and my boss slates me, going as far as questioning my work ethics, well he/she might feel that they are justified in doing so, but this person is still acting unreasonably. This isn’t a player that is constantly sulking on the bench, complaining to the press and generally being poisonous to the atmosphere. He had only one moment where he showed visible signs of frustration, so what? If we choose to singularly focus on that one moment of human error – one that a lot of players, even the most upstanding ones would be guilty of doing – and berate him for “questioning mourinho’s authority” then that’s no longer a rational criticism. That's being - in every sense of the word - myopic.

Fair point. Thanks for the reminder (no cynicism intended).

You're comparing one of the most talented teams of all time to our club(who is a great team, but not best of all time)? Why?

I'm sorry, but I like the player and thinks he should be playing somewhere where he can get minutes in. Crucify me if you must, but I think my stance is understandable.

Because a guy too good to be a squad player would have to be more than a squad player for their nation to get placed in such a category.

To even be at this club you have to be at the top 1-2% or so of footballers on this earth. There isnt a player in our senior squad who isnt good enough to go somewhere and have a very capable, if not great, side built around them. They ALL are too good to be squad players, but if you add them together we have a great squad. That is what every club should be reaching for.

People conveniently forget that for half the season already Mata hasn't set the world alight with his play. He's played a lot of matches, he's played on the right, he's played in his position - can you name one match when he influenced the result with his play, especially when we were doing badly? Oscar got some important goals, Hazard pulled us out of trouble a couple of times, Willian at least twice helped turn things around, even Schurrle had some decisive action. For Mata the only really good game he had was maybe against Arsenal in LC, and in that match we were cruising.

Some argue that he is playing out of position - not always, he's played #10 this season. Yesterday Oscar wan't playing his position too, he played on the left (well, they interchanged a lot, I distinctly remember him on the right minute or so before his goal, but nominally he was left, Willian right and Hazard center) and managed to do well. Not to mention Azpi who made himself an indisputable starter on "wrong" position.

In yesterday's match the difference was obvious not because Oscar and Willian scored and made a result, that's not the point. The second they came on the tempo of our play increased dramatically, and at that speed every fault of Soton's defence became glaring. That was what is needed to make a result. Mata is a good player based on past results, but so far this season he's failed to demonstrate it. I've read on tumblr that Mourinho purposefully makes him play with crap players just so he will look bad - maybe that is the reason? Or maybe Mata just doesn't do enough. It's not that he didn't have chances to show he is the best AM in our squad and should be playing every game.

But the main point is - it's impossible to build a whole teamplay around one player even if he is Messi (and Mata is not Messi, btw). It takes injury or streak of bad form to lose everything if you're relying on just one player. On the other hand, if there is a system in place and there are players who can adapt and cover at least two positions, you are pretty safe in most cases, no matter what happens with individuals.

Maybe Mata will be able to find a club that is going to build everything around him, but it certainly won't be a top club with big ambitions. I'm starting to understand why Real let him go instead of making him a starter. He is a very talented player, but his play has defects, and either he overcomes them or team should adapt to them.

Because a guy too good to be a squad player would have to be more than a squad player for their nation to get placed in such a category.

If he would have born in any other country than he had, he wouldn't be a squad player.