Juan Mata

Severinb

The only realistic scenario that I see to this is Atletico Madrid trading Diego Costa for him.

On one hand, Chelsea would get the top striker it desperately needs. On the other hand, Atletico Madrid won't be able to keep its striker much longer with a buyout clause of 37m. And when they do get the 37m, they still won't manage to attract a world class player like Mata. They won't get another chance like this one.

It's also a plus for both players. Mata will get the playing time he needs to play the world cup and Diego Costa will be at one of the best European clubs.

Yea that might be the best solution for everyone. Mata could play behind villa and athletico would still be great in attack too.

That should also prevent us from using courtois as a bargaining chip for Diego Costa.

Schurrle managed. KDB has managed. Cole has managed. Plenty of players have managed.

I understand he must've been frustrated but petulance like that from someone like Mata can seem a little calculated. He's an intelligent man, he understands how stuff like this works.

Easy to say all that really when there are so many factors in this situation. And as for KDB has managed, yeah, he hasn't even been seen practically at all this season to even be able to say he has managed.

@theonlyplacetobe wrote Why has he received crappy treatment? Jose just rates Oscar higher than him in the middle and Willian better than him on the right-wing. How on Earth is that crappy treatment?

And that's why I want him to join a club that would treat him with the level of respect he deserves. he's too good a playmaker to play second fiddle to anyone not named Iniesta,Ozil and Silva (possibly). Most teams in Europe realise this as he's very highly rated and he won't be having much regret if he moves in Jan or summer. so fair fucks

How anyone can be unappreciative of what Mata has done is not even in it, I don't think there would be a single person on here, or anywhere.

The debate isn't of that, the debate is about his long term future here and yesterdays happenings.

Think Chelsea fans do appreciate what Mata has contributed to this club but right now, it seems as if some are just completely dismissing that like it never even existed.

As for yesterday's happenings, just find it 'curious' that there are some who is quick to jump to conclusions and not really even looking at both sides of the coin to evaluate the whole situation in relation to the incident.

@theonlyplacetobe wrote Why has he received crappy treatment? Jose just rates Oscar higher than him in the middle and Willian better than him on the right-wing. How on Earth is that crappy treatment?

And that's why I want him to join a club that would treat him with the level of respect he deserves. he's too good a playmaker to play second fiddle to anyone not named Iniesta,Ozil and Silva (possibly). Most teams in Europe realise this as he's very highly rated and he won't be having much regret if he moves in Jan or summer. so fair fucks

Well, if he does leave. he will play second fiddle to any big team he potentially joins...

However, if he goes to an emerging squad, than maybe not...

Think Chelsea fans do appreciate what Mata has contributed to this club but right now, it seems as if some are just completely dismissing that like it never even existed.

As for yesterday's happenings, just find it 'curious' that there are some who is quick to jump to conclusions and not really even looking at both sides of the coin to evaluate the whole situation in relation to the incident.

Well that would be very typical of people in this day and age.

I'm looking at it from all angles possible, I still keep coming up with the same answer.....He doesn't offer what Jose wants!!! So therefore he cannot be allowed to sit out games, the bloke is a top notch player and deserves to be playing football, he needs to leave for his own career if Jose does not see him in this system, which he doesn't.

So you're upset that he's playing second fiddle to the guy who has been our best player all season.

Jose Mourinho thinks that Oscar is better for this club in the number 10 position than Mata. That's not being disrespectful.

So you're upset that he's playing second fiddle to the guy who has been our best player all season.

Jose Mourinho thinks that Oscar is better for this club in the number 10 position than Mata. That's not being disrespectful.

If you also share the same sentiments as Jose then why would you or anyone with that POV care whether mata leaves or not?. Oscar is superior playmaker to mata according to you and Jose, some people like myself disagree and believe he is too good to ride the bench so what's the issue. he should be allowed to leave for his own good then since we have a "better player" and are well stocked in his position right?

If you also share the same sentiments as Jose then why would you or anyone with that POV care whether mata leaves or not. Oscar is superior playmaker to mata according to you and Jose, some people feel otherwise and believe he is too good to ride the bench so what's the issue. he should be allowed to leave for his own good.

He should be allowed to leave because we have better players for our system and need strengthening in other areas.

@ I applaud you for calling Mata up on his petulant attitude to being substituted. No player is above the club and I personally tip my hat to you for having no tolerance for that kind of behavior. But I think there is a point where our reaction to a players’ attitude crosses over to an overreaction – and your post, I feel, is hovering over that point.

This same player you’re berating is the same player who said this………

“It’s a new thing, and I’m just trying to find the positive things in a hard moment,” he tells us quickly. “I always try to be a better player, no matter the manager that I have, so that’s what I’m doing right now – just trying to be better.”

and this…………….

“To be honest, I feel really loved by the fans,” he explains. “That’s what makes me feel strong, and I try to play my best because of them.”
…..

And I could go on. My point is that if we put it into context, he’s been nothing but professional and has showed an exemplary attitude to his sudden fringe status in the team. To clarify, I’m not saying that Mata shouldn't be called up for allowing his frustrations to show while on camera nor I’m I excusing Mata for his petulant reaction. What I’m saying is that this is just one slip-up from a player who most would agree has handled his situation admirably. My issue with your post is that there seems to be sanctimonious tone of “how dare Mata kick up a fuss when he’s been nothing but average? Sit your ass down and know your place”. That could just be me making assumptions, but that seems to be the underlying tone of your post and to me that smacks of self righteous entitlement – this player has been nothing but humble and a model professional but because he had this one moment of weakness, you’re berating him and calling him childish? That’s an overreaction in my opinion. He's never once stomp down the tunnel when he's been substituted; he’s never once run to the Spanish press to bitch about not being selected for the champions league final unlike another player; he’s done absolutely nothing wrong but keep his chin up and attempt to remain positive in a situation that is undoubtedly a difficult one for him. How many of us could remain positive and not allow our frustrations to get the better of us if we were in a similar position?

Like that post, mainly for that highlighted point which is pretty much spot in regards to Alex's bashing of Mata previously.

As long as it's not in England (we obviously aren't that daft) then I'm sort of resigned to losing Mata. Absolutely love him and wish there was a way to have him and Oscar in the same team every game, but it's just not going to work with Jose's style.

It's really going to hurt at first seeing him tear it up for another club if he's sold and I'm sure there will be times where we'll watch him and regret selling him, but as someone else stated he can be used as an incredible bargaining tool. Dortmund & PSG would be my first calls. Both have excellent players that are nearing the end of their contracts and in positions we desperately need.

I'd personally see it as great business if we can sell a player from a position of excess and gain one in a position of dire need.

People are judging him on his actions. No-one is ignoring his contribution to this club but simply putting it into context. I haven't seen anyone belittle him.

In fact what I've seen is more people moaning about Mata not playing at the first opportunity (especially on Twitter) than praising Oscar's emergence as one of the most exciting prospects in world football.

BluesMaster has already answered for me:

When the reaction is greater than the offence it portrays a lack of acknowledgement or respect for what he has done for the club up until now. If they say thanks for his service but also turn around say stuff like he 'challenged' the manager, it completely negates their 'appreciation' of him. Such accusations are absolutely ridiculous. It feels like people are blowing the whole situation out of proportion to suit their arguments.

If they say thanks for his service but also turn around say stuff like he 'challenged' the manager, it completely negates their 'appreciation' of him.

No it doesn't. Not in my opinion anyway. You can appreciate what someone has done in the past whilst being critical of their recent behaviour.

No it doesn't. Not in my opinion anyway. You can appreciate what someone has done in the past whilst being critical of their recent behaviour.

There's a difference between being critical and having an overreaction. @remains of the day, has pretty much summed it up.

@Peace. We’re pretty much on the same page. My point is that there's now this profit oriented aim in the club’s focus in investing on young players. The 12 million pound fee for Sturridge might seem like a steal now, but at the time he was sold, many (including Liverpool fans) thought that the club did well to get such a fee for a fringe player and one who was signed for only 4 mill. The fee for kdb is rumoured to be over 20 mill. We acquired him for 7 mill and he’s also never played any significant role for us. Given this, I would be very surprised if the club’s valuation of Mata isn't higher than 30 million and it’s not a stretch that a club would be willing to pay such a high amount to acquire Mata’s services. After all, we've seen many players go for exuberant fees in the transfer market.

@ I applaud you for calling Mata up on his petulant attitude to being substituted. No player is above the club and I personally tip my hat to you for having no tolerance for that kind of behaviour. But I think there is a point where our reaction to a player's attitude crosses over to an overreaction – and your post, I feel, is hovering over that point.

This same player you’re berating is the same player who said this………

“It’s a new thing, and I’m just trying to find the positive things in a hard moment,” he tells us quickly. “I always try to be a better player, no matter the manager that I have, so that’s what I’m doing right now – just trying to be better.”

and this…………….

“To be honest, I feel really loved by the fans,” he explains. “That’s what makes me feel strong, and I try to play my best because of them.”

And I could go on. My point is that if we put it into context, he’s been nothing but professional and has showed an exemplary attitude to his sudden fringe status in the team. To clarify, I’m not saying that Mata shouldn't be called up for allowing his frustrations to show while on camera nor I’m I excusing Mata for his petulant reaction. What I’m saying is that this is just one slip-up from a player who most would agree has handled his situation admirably. My issue with your post is that there seems to be sanctimonious tone of “how dare Mata kick up a fuss when he’s been nothing but average? Sit your ass down and know your place”. That could just be me making assumptions, but that seems to be the underlying tone of your post and to me that smacks of self righteous entitlement – this player has been nothing but humble and a model professional but because he had this one moment of weakness, you’re berating him and calling him childish? That’s an overreaction in my opinion. He's never once stomp down the tunnel when he's been substituted; he’s never once run to the Spanish press to bitch about not being selected for the champions league final unlike another player; he’s done absolutely nothing wrong but keep his chin up and attempt to remain positive in a situation that is undoubtedly a difficult one for him. How many of us could be so positive and not allow our frustrations to get the better of us if we were in a similar position?

Juan Mata has been a credit to this club on and off the pitch- players like him are very few and far between in football. Like Lionsend said, if the club decides to sell him, they'll be no shortage of suitors.

And despite all that, he was the headline after yesterday's matches. He's a great guy, he's an intelligent guy but he had no reason for that reaction when you look at the context of the match and his performance.

There's a difference between being critical and having an overreaction. @remains of the day, has pretty much summed it up.

But now you recognise that you can appreciate someone's contribution whilst being critical of some of their behaviour?

But now you recognise that you can appreciate someone's contribution whilst being critical of some of their behaviour?

...not when the criticism is disproportionate to the offence. When that happens, it seems like they're acting as if Mata is Marin.

There's nothing more I can say without repeating myself again.