Juan Mata

Severinb

Surely the likes of Mata, KDB, Schurrle deserve minutes now?

Mata and Schurrle will surely get playing time in December but I doubt KdB will get minutes. Especially if Mikel-Ramires-Lampard continues in midfield

there is no obligation to start him. he doesn't fit well with a counter-attacking system. Works far better in a game where Chelsea's trying to break down a stubborn defence

Agree. I thought that's how Mourinho would share game time between Oscar and Mata, with the former playing games where we adopt a counter attacking system, and Mata playing against teams who come to SB and don't leave their half.

But i guess he had other plans... :lol:

Yeah but don't think you're helping your case when you repeat such stuff...

And don't get why people have to take the easy way out and jump to conclusions that anybody that wants Mata to start is immediately deemed as putting players before club first or not being supportive of the team as a whole.

Yeah I think some posters have actually raised perfectly legitimate reasons as to why Oscar deserves to be starting in the hole over Mata. I don't necessarily agree, but that's okay....people will obviously have their own ideas that differs greatly from mine about what's best for the team, at the end of the day it's really just a matter of individuals' preferences. What does my head in though is this whole thing of "you're not a true supporter if......" So if you genuinely believe that Mata's involvement will benefit the team more than Oscar's then you're supporting the player over the club but it's not supporting a player over the club if you prefer Oscar over Mata? What's the difference?

Yeah I think some posters have actually raised perfectly legitimate reasons as to why Oscar deserves to be starting in the hole over Mata. I don't necessarily agree, but that's okay....people will obviously have their own ideas that differs greatly from mine about what's best for the team, at the end of the day it's really just a matter of individuals' preferences. What does my head in though is this whole thing of "you're not a true supporter if......" So if you genuinely believe that Mata's involvement will benefit the team more than Oscar's then you're supporting the player over the club but it's not supporting a player over the club if you prefer Oscar over Mata? What's the difference?

Because favoring Oscar over mata is what jose wants and having it the other way round goes against the popular opinion as majority are Jose bootlickers. straight logic there. The people that now see mata as a liability and inferior to oscar where the same people that rated the Spaniard as not only our best player but also a top 3 player in the epl last season. It's no coincidence that their change in opinion coincided with Mou's decision to drop mata in favor of Oscar.

Mou could favor Charlie adam over maradona in his prime and some fans will still find a way to make it sound like it's a reasonable and logical decision.

The people that now see mata as a liability and inferior to oscar where the same people that rated the Spaniard as not only our best player but also a top 3 player in the epl last season.

It is possible to think that he's one of the best players in the league but also a liability in a certain type of team.

Personally I always thought we'd eventually have to choose between Oscar or Mata at some point.

It is possible to think that he's one of the best players in the league but also a liability in a certain type of team.

Personally I always thought we'd eventually have to choose between Oscar or Mata at some point.

So what you are basically saying is a player that is highly regarded by most people (including neutrals) as one of the finest playmakers in Europe and has consistently performed at elite level for 2 seasons in a row should and does deserve to be relegated to the bench on the basis of "tactical inflexibility".

Since I have been watching football, clubs have always built a team around its best and most influential outfield players and managers devise tactics that suits and gets the best out of them.

And what does that say about mourinho? That he's a manager incapable of changing tactics or playing any other style apart from counter attacking football . if mata can be criticized for lacking tactical flexibility then it should also be fair to label Jose a one trick pony too right?

So what you are basically saying is a player that is highly regarded by most people (including neutrals) as one of the finest playmakers in Europe and has consistently performed at elite level for 2 seasons in a row should and does deserve to be relegated to the bench on the basis of "tactical inflexibility".

What I'm saying is that if you have another option who you think offers more to the team then there's no problem with using him. I know you don't think Oscar is a playmaker but most people (including neutrals) do.

Since I have been watching football, clubs have always built a team around its best and most influential outfield players and managers devise tactics that suits and gets the best out of them.

Managers have also looked to change the way players play the game in order to better serve their philosophy. Our best and most influential player this season has been Oscar as well.

And what does that say about mourinho? That he's a manager incapable of changing tactics or playing any other style apart from counter attacking football . if mata can be criticized for lacking tactical flexibility then it should also be fair to label Jose a one trick pony too right?

Sure you can.

Because favoring Oscar over mata is what jose wants and having it the other way round goes against the popular opinion as majority are Jose bootlickers. straight logic there. The people that now see mata as a liability and inferior to oscar where the same people that rated the Spaniard as not only our best player but also a top 3 player in the epl last season. It's no coincidence that their change in opinion coincided with Mou's decision to drop mata in favor of Oscar.

Mou could favor Charlie adam over maradona in his prime and some fans will still find a way to make it sound like it's a reasonable and logical decision.

I remember before we played Barcelona at The Nou Camp under Di Matteo, many people didn't want Mata to start that match for the same reason he (seemingly) lost his place to Oscar this term.

Mata (like every player) has his weaknesses's but because we were so reliant on him (to the point if he didn't turn up we would almost certainly drop points) people were in denial.

I remember before we played Barcelona at The Nou Camp under Di Matteo, many people didn't want Mata to start that match for the same reason he (seemingly) lost his place to Oscar this term.

Mata (like every player) has his weaknesses's but because we were so reliant on him (to the point if he didn't turn up we would almost certainly drop points) people were in denial.

Not many will disagree with that. But his weaknesses aren't so massive that he can't play 1 minute against Basel or West ham. Or comes on as a sub against teams like West brom etc etc.

Not many will disagree with that. But his weakness aren't so massive that he can't play 1 minute against Basel or West ham. Or comes on as a sub against teams like West brom etc etc.

West Ham i agree, last night however wasn't the game for him considering we went out for a point. If Basle scored in the first half, then half time would have probably been the best time to haul him on.

West Ham i agree, last night however wasn't the game for him considering we went out for a point. If Basle scored in the first half, then half time would have probably been the best time to haul him on.

Just stop please. Mata destroyed the same team only this year.

I do miss the little man, but I can't find a place for him in the team. I love the team philosophy of high pressing more than I love seeing Mata out on the pitch.

On the wing he can't compete with Willian, Schurrle or Hazard. Only in a high possession game could I see him be effective.

But if I had the choice of gegenpressing. or possession based football I'd always pick the high pressing option.

Absolutely no idea why he didn't play midweek. That was a huge error in the type of game where there was no risk. Oscar, Ramires and Willian did precisely nothing between them and we went the whole game without a shot off or on target. Shocking.

We lost yet we're in a fantastic position. I'll never know or understand Jose's thinking midweek.

“He’s a very good player and a very good professional. When he is not playing, I’m not happy. It hurts me,” Mourinho said.

“The boy works and behaves. I have nothing negative to stay. If somebody is waiting for me to give a negative reason about him playing more or less, I have nothing negative to say about him.

“It’s just a question of an option. He will play this week. It’s a week for everybody. It will be difficult for somebody to be completely out of it.

“He will have at least a couple of matches.”

Good then I would like to see a bit of Mata and KDB.

This period of December is the time for someone to make a name for himself.

Hopefully one of these two or both produce good that might change the momentum of their career and the team in general.