Juan Mata

Severinb

Mata is a great player, but the problem's in the team go well beyond whether he plays of not, seems to be forgotten he came against Basle at Stamford Bridge when we were 1-0 up and we lost 2-1.

too bad I didn't remember that when I defended Mourinho not playing him today. Isn't it clear it would have been suicide especially when they dominated us so completely in the first half as it was? That's the problem, people see only the benefit and ignore the price that comes with it. With Mata in the midfield today I'm positive Basel wouldhave dominated us even farther. This was never the match for Mata, NEVER, but I do understand people begging him to start more often. I want to see him more often, but tonight's wasn't the match for that at all.

This time last year we were as good as out of the Champions League and just slipped out of the title race.

This time two years ago we well out of the title race and got done at home by Liverpool twice in a week.

But hey atleast Mata was playing every week.

Thankgod for that hey.

too bad I didn't remember that when I defended Mourinho not playing him today. Isn't it clear it would have been suicide especially when they dominated us so completely in the first half as it was? That's the problem, people see only the benefit and ignore the price that comes with it. With Mata in the midfield today I'm positive Basel wouldhave dominated us even farther. This was never the match for Mata, NEVER, but I do understand people begging him to start more often. I want to see him more often, but tonight's wasn't the match for that at all.

City, Bayern not games for Mata. Not an average team like Basel.

City, Bayern not games for Mata. Not an average team like Basel.

I'd agree beforehand, but watching the match and seeing how their AMs were ripping us apart, I think he would have made it worse. In theory it would be a match for him based on how superior we are, but when you see Stocker and Salah having a party with our midfield, I think it would have been worse... Also I don't believe he isn't fit for big matches, I guess it depends on how the other team plays. Whoever plays possession football (as long as it doesn't come with pace) fits Mata, but fast attacking players, teams playing wide, but starting the plays from the middle don't fit him imo. Maybe he would have been more useful in the attack, but I feel like he would detract even more us defensively. Also, let's be honest, Zidane himself couldn't save that team today. We were awful through and through and only one man in the middle wouldn't have solved our problems :( If anything we'd be burning him gratuitously.

Maybe this result may change Jose's mind about Mata...from the recent lineups and substitutions it almost looks like he has developed a phobia of seeing Juan in the playing 11.

I didn't see this match, but when I heard about the 4-3-3 lineup the first thing I wondered was why Oscar was being tossed out on the wing, when Mata can do a better job than him over there. Oscar plays better in a central role, and it would have made more sense to play Mata on the wing especially on the right hand side..

With Ramires and Ivanovic to provide cover, there would have been minimal risk to the defensive setup.

If Jose keeps faith with Oscar after that dire performance then I don't know. Mata should play against Southampton, be it as a #10 or a right winger or whatever, he needs to feature. We didn't create much tonight, Mata can unlock teams, he needs to play...

I'd agree beforehand, but watching the match and seeing how their AMs were ripping us apart, I think he would have made it worse. In theory it would be a match for him based on how superior we are, but when you see Stocker and Salah having a party with our midfield, I think it would have been worse... Also I don't believe he isn't fit for big matches, I guess it depends on how the other team plays. Whoever plays possession football (as long as it doesn't come with pace) fits Mata, but fast attacking players, teams playing wide, but starting the plays from the middle don't fit him imo. Maybe he would have been more useful in the attack, but I feel like he would detract even more us defensively. Also, let's be honest, Zidane himself couldn't save that team today. We were awful through and through and only one man in the middle wouldn't have solved our problems :( If anything we'd be burning him gratuitously.

We had 130m of AM talent in our 18, no excuse for getting outshone by whatever Basel got.

Last year in the exact same fixture we played with Hazard and Moses and ripped them, it was criminal we only scored once before that Luiz goal.

I had no problem with Oscar playing, but we paid for not having another quick player from the start. There was no outlet whenever Willian had the ball, and no one else in attack with Oscar playing badly.

Every decent thing we did in the game came when Willian and Hazard were out there. But by then we had no playmaker, Mourinho could have solved this by bringing on KDB or Mata earlier, but he stuck with his negative mindset and tried to settle for the point.

Mata might have made a difference or not, but regardless he is too good to not even come on in a game we can't create anything. Anyone should agree with that.

We had 130m of AM talent in our 18, no excuse for getting outshone by whatever Basel got.

Last year in the exact same fixture we played with Hazard and Moses and ripped them, it was criminal we only scored once before that Luiz goal.

I had no problem with Oscar playing, but we paid for not having another quick player from the start. There was no outlet whenever Willian had the ball, and no one else in attack with Oscar playing badly.

Every decent thing we did in the game came when Willian and Hazard were out there. But by then we had no playmaker, Mourinho could have solved this by bringing on KDB or Mata earlier, but he stuck with his negative mindset and tried to settle for the point.

Mata might have made a difference or not, but regardless he is too good to not even come on in a game we can't create anything. Anyone should agree with that.

it was a fucking awful performance but you make a number of excellent points .. Schurrle or Hazard or both should have come on Ht ..or one with Mata

Now, I read Oscar isn´t a play-maker. May I ask what is he, then ?

This kid, works hard, passes the ball, creates chances & even scores goals this year, at least I have seen it.

he's a box to box midfielder. that's what he is.

I must have missed all these lovely, out of the ordinary passes and chances he's being creating since joining us.

And how many of those fancy, out of this world passes actually worked?

I must say this way, he's more effective. Still a playmaker though. They doesn't always work with creative passing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

What i don't get is last time (under Mou) Ricardo Carvalho was in and out of the team a bit like Mata is now, but i never saw the bile and crap given to Mourinho about that.

Why is that? because Carvalho was just as good a defender as Mata is midfielder.

Mata is a bigger name than Carvalho, was one of the best midfielders in the league last season and also, this is a different media frenzy time

This time last year we were as good as out of the Champions League and just slipped out of the title race.

This time two years ago we well out of the title race and got done at home by Liverpool twice in a week.

But hey atleast Mata was playing every week.

Thankgod for that hey.

With posts such as that, it makes you look like you have an agenda against Mata and trying to pin all our failures for the past 2 years because Mata was starting...