Juan Mata

Severinb

mata often placed as wide midfielder when he had his chance. i remembered he bagged a goal when he was placed in his fav position against arsenal.

cant imagine how confusing for jose to have these two. its like having aguero, baloteli, tevez, and dzeko for blue eastland last year. phew

One of the disadvantage of having too many quality players. This is why teams like MU under Ferguson, Juventus atm, PSG essentially have the best team around. Not because their squad is the best but because they have world class players and don't have many players to compete with, making them more happy and perform better. While in the some case it might results in some player turning arrogant, it is worth it most of the time.

It's really not that simple.

With the way Oscar's been performing this season it would be very hard to justify him losing his place in the team too so no matter who Mourinho plays in the number ten position he will make the wrong choice in some people's eyes, depending on which of the two they fancy. Last season they both played at the same time but anyone with a working pair of eyes could see that forcing Oscar out wide made him much less influential and then again Mata playing on the right wing doesn't sound that good an idea to me either after the arrivals of Willian and Schürrle who are both much better all-round wingers than Mata is. Mata is a great playmaker if he gets a free role without much defensive responsibilities but with the limited selection of central midfielders we currently have that really isn't possible if the plan is to remain solid at the back so at least for now Oscar has been preferred and rightly so because the Brazilian hasn't put a foot wrong all season.

Football is a team game and in the end of the day it's the team's result that matters most so if we keep winning matches with the players Mourinho selects to play people shouldn't complain too much.

We must have different definition of the roles of a playmaker and I disagree that oscar hasn't put a foot wring this season. in fact it's a false statement as just 12 days ago before the int'l break after 2 inept performances against Newcastle and W'brom,he was one of the players fairly singled out for criticism. for a playmaker, he has barely created any quality chances and looked generally devoid of ideas in the attacking third.

With all of Oscar's "work ethic" this season, he still remains a far (and I emphasize the word far) inferior playmaker and footballer to mata. if mourinho is so obsessed with work ethic he should save some money, sell all the technical players in the squad and recruit some workhorses from the English lower league and french ligue 2. some players in those league have ridiculous engine and work ethic since the technical aspect of football is so overrated and hold little significance.

Scrap that I have a better idea, Jose should lure Mo farah and Haile Selassie. Their stamina is highly proven and would put themselves about on the pitch.

We must have different definition of the roles of a playmaker and I disagree that oscar hasn't put a foot wring this season. in fact it's a false statement as just 12 days ago before the int'l break after 2 inept performances against Newcastle and W'brom,he was one of the players fairly singled out for criticism. for a playmaker, he has barely created any quality chances and looked generally devoid of ideas in the attacking third.

With all of Oscar's "work ethic" this season, he still remains a far (and I emphasize the word far) inferior playmaker and footballer to mata. if mourinho is so obsessed with work ethic he should save some money, sell all the technical players in the squad and recruit some workhorses from the English lower league and french ligue 2. some players in those league have ridiculous engine and work ethic since the technical aspect of football is so overrated and hold little significance.

Scrap that I have a better idea, Jose should lure Mo farah and Haile Selassie. Their stamina is highly proven and would put themselves about on the pitch.

This is funny. Mata was the primary "playmaker" for Spain in the olympics and guess what happened to spain.

Mata was the primary playmaker for Chelsea the past 2 seasons and we got 6th and 3rd in a water down EPL.

This season, the EPL is probably as a whole strongest Ive seen and we are fighting for top place again.

It's funny cause Jose had Ozil, a player that wasnt know for his defensive contribution, yet played him as much as any player on RM.

Maybe it's the fact that Mata isnt as good as Chelsea fans brand him out to be.

Look at RDM, guess who he played as the ten.

Look at Del Bosque, Mata isnt never going to be in their 11.

Only one that favored Mata was the Spainard that favored Torres as well.

And Guess what. Guess who our favorite manager AVB wanted as his primary signing for Tottenham.

I find it crazy how people cant see the potential in Oscar as a playmaker... But than again, its probably the same players that thought Neymar would flop as well.

Grammar by Yoda you learned. Just kiddin. I agree with the conent of your post. Has to be a combination of Mata actually not being that good offensively, Oscar emerging and Mata not providing the necessary defensive prowess.

NEIN! Du bringst mich zum lachen! The first sentence made me laugh!

On topic: Mata is at the moment my favorite player but his recent performances didn't really gave us much to root for :(

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3550263/title/mourinho-its-the-season-to-be-brave

One of the players likely to be given action in the coming weeks is Juan Mata who Mourinho emphasised has been unfortunate to miss out.

'I can't start matches with 12, 13 or 14 players which I would love to do because many people deserve to play and Juan is one of them, with the way he works, the way he behaves and the way we see him every day. But if I played him people would be asking me about not playing Hazard or Oscar and for these three positions behind the striker we have so many options.

'Against West Ham I left out Mata who is an international for Spain, I left out Schurrle who is an international for Germany, De Bruyne who was probably the best Belgian player in the qualification group. I left out Willian who has just played for Brazil the last two matches, so it is a good problem for me but it is hard for them and it is hard for me because I don't have pleasure when I leave them out. '

Here is how I see the situation. We have Oscar who has been great since he's come to the club. This year tho, he's taken his game to another level. He's been out POTY so far.

On the other hand we have Mata who has had an unfortunate (because of injury setbacks) start to the season but in my opinion Mourinho has mismanaged him. Mata only got a run of games when we were in need against Spurs and he came up with the goods in a great performance coming off the bench. Juan is a big game player. He earned his place in our next game at Steaua and he put in a solid performance. He was involved in most of our positive play and didn't put a foot wrong. He was unfortunate not to score when he hit the post in that game. Jose started Juan against Norwich the following weekend and again, Mata was good. His link up play was good he created a couple opportunities and again, Jose started him in our next game against Cardiff. This game, he was poor. Fast forward to the next game in which he was played. Arsenal away in the league cup. He watched from the touchline 2 games in a row. At the Emirates, it was as if Mata was at his best again. He looked sharp, clever feet, tricks and flicks .. And to wrap it all up he scored a fantastic goal. He played against Newcastle the next game but the entire team was shit... That being said, he was tracking back in that game and didn't really have freedom. (imo Mata was our best player in that dreadful performance) He hasn't played since.

Now, let's look at the similarities and try to make a connection between the games in which Juan was good. In the Spurs game, he was played centrally and was given the freedom of WHL and he was terrific [Got us a point]. He didn't need to worry about defensive duties... He didn't need to do that at the Emirates either. Bang ! He was excellent there too [Through to the next round]. In the Steaua game, he very good. Again, I don't remember him chasing back at all in that game. Freedom [3 points, and 4-0 win]. Norwich, he was offered that freedom, he was deployed on the right hand side but he drifted in towards the middle more often than not. When he was on the pitch we were good, but we failed to kill off the game. The Cardiff game, was the one game out all of the games in which Mata was started/offered a free role that he didn't play well.

I reckon if Mourinho put a bit if faith into Mata and played to his strengths, then we would see how good he really is. I don't think its fair/right to have Mata on the bench of 2-3 games regularly. He's too good to be a squad rotation player.

Grammar by Yoda you learned. Just kiddin. I agree with the conent of your post. Has to be a combination of Mata actually not being that good offensively, Oscar emerging and Mata not providing the necessary defensive prowess.

I genuinely did not see this post before posting this! Haha.

Are you Master Yoda in disguise???

He does talk as if he were addressing Luke Skywalker in every post!

I see the kids here are into Star Wars, lately.

Back to Mata. Read on kids.

Mata should be playing regularly for Chelsea but he is not. The question, whom to drop ?

Since Jose isn´t willing to play Mata, then Mata should ask to leave in January, I feel.

This classy guy, deserves much better than being shoved aside just because he can´t trace back defensively as Jose likes.