Juan Mata

Severinb

Does it have to be intentional to count as an assist? For example, hat if a player gets past a defender in the box and before he can shoot his team mate who's in a better position takes it off his toes and scores, does the player who got past the defender get the assist? Also, how long before the goal should the assisting pass be played? If Cole plays a simple short pass to Hazard down the left flank and the latter skins 2-3 players, cuts into the area and shoots, does Cole get the assist? What if the player was put clear on goal by the pass but had to run a long distance before scoring? Does Cole get the assist for Torres' goal against Barcelona (this is also a good example about intentional/unintentional assist)?

So, I stick with what I said, there is no official agreement about the definition of an assist.

Whoscored.com has him at 16 assists this season.

16 assist is probably in the league, remember Mata got to 50 assists in the chelsea shirt the other week :)

Nop, all competitions except FA cup and Capital One:

Untitled.png

I think the rate at which mata gives assists is higher than how he scores.

Since he got 50 assists for chelsea in two years some time ago, and had about 24 assists last season, then I'm sure he has had more than just 16 assists for chelsea. And notice that that table is just 4 competitions when we've played in more and I think mata already has almost 48 appearances already. So that table could be wrong.

There is no way mata has scored more than his assists.

I think the rate at which mata gives assists is higher than how he scores.

Since he got 50 assists for chelsea in two years some time ago, and had about 24 assists last season, then I'm sure he has had more than just 16 assists for chelsea. And notice that that table is just 4 competitions when we've played in more and I think mata already has almost 48 appearances already. So that table could be wrong.

There is no way mata has scored more than his assists.

I'm not trying in any way to belittle Mata's contribution and I'm not saying those stats are right, the point behind the original post I wrote is that everyone sees and counts assists his own way which is why everyone arrives at a different number.

But regardless of the numbers you chose to believe, no one can argue that Mata is not doing a great assisting(in the general not footballing meaning) his teammates to score.

I'm not trying in any way to belittle in any way and I'm not saying those stats are right, the point behind the original post I wrote is that everyone sees and counts assists his own way which is why everyone arrives at a different number.

But regardless of the numbers you chose to believe, no one can argue that Mata is not doing a great assisting(in the general not footballing meaning) his teammates to score.

Okay. Anyway I was implying that by just watching our matches I can tell he has more assists than goals, that's why I thought the table was wrong.

Does it have to be intentional to count as an assist? For example, hat if a player gets past a defender in the box and before he can shoot his team mate who's in a better position takes it off his toes and scores, does the player who got past the defender get the assist? Also, how long before the goal should the assisting pass be played? If Cole plays a simple short pass to Hazard down the left flank and the latter skins 2-3 players, cuts into the area and shoots, does Cole get the assist? What if the player was put clear on goal by the pass but had to run a long distance before scoring? Does Cole get the assist for Torres' goal against Barcelona (this is also a good example about intentional/unintentional assist)?

So, I stick with what I said, there is no official agreement about the definition of an assist.

Intentional or unintentional and regardless of how long it takes to score based on your example there, as long as it is the final pass that led to a goal as defined by Opta, then it counts as an assist. Bertrand got the assist for Hazard's goal against Sparta Prague and yes, Cole claimed the assist for Torres's goal at the Camp Nou.

My point is what should be counted as an assist is the one defined by Opta. It's just that some people are being selective and add winning penalties and free kicks(which a player scores directly from) to the assist count because it looks good on the player.

Funny. I came to this thread to link an article from the Guardian for the non-UK people (and some UK I suppose) who haven't seen it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/05/juan-mata-chelsea-gianfranco-zola

The article says 31 assists.

Interesting...

Carlo Ancelotti had been made aware of the Spaniard's potential recruitment prior to his dismissal as manager that May, but the new man, Villas-Boas, preferred to target Oriol Romeu and Raul Meireles as priority additions. It was Roman Abramovich who pushed to pursue Mata as a third, bonus buy. The perception may be that players are often purchased on the owner's whim, but it is the exception.

Assist stats are tricky. For example take this goal scored by Hazard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuRxrs8-ScM

Mata is given an assist for passing the ball 5 yards to Hazard who is nearly 40 yards from goal. He had a tremendous amount of work to do to score from there. To me an assist should only be awarded if the pass creates a clear-cut goal scoring opportunity. So I wouldn't give Mata an assist for that Hazard goal for instance.

I think the distinction needs to be made clear as it devalues brilliant assists like for Ba's goal against Man Utd.

Interesting...

This is where having a continental set-up has it's advantages. I think that our managerial carousel is overblown here in the UK because people are used to the old/traditional set-up where the manager makes the purchases/builds the team.

A lot of our recent buys have been long time targets, we've probably gone through about 3 managers between first tracking Lukaku and signing him.

This is where having a continental set-up has it's advantages. I think that our managerial carousel is overblown here in the UK because people are used to the old/traditional set-up where the manager makes the purchases/builds the team.

A lot of our recent buys have been long time targets, we've probably gone through about 3 managers between first tracking Lukaku and signing him.

I know that. It's just that I'm surprised it was Roman who pushed for this particular transfer.

(and yes, I am aware that he got Shevchenko and Torres!)

I know that. It's just that I'm surprised it was Roman who pushed for this particular transfer.

(and yes, I am aware that he got Shevchenko and Torres!)

You're right, it's not the type of player he usually goes for. He's usually all about the big names, chases them, then eventually gets them about 2 years too late.

Hazard on Mata...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/307819/Eden-Hazard-Jaun-Mata-must-be-player-of-the-year/

Hazard said: “It’s a pleasure to play alongside Juan. He’s one of the best footballers in the Premier League.

“He has that ability to see and make the pass that others wouldn’t and sees it faster than others.

“He deserves to be the Player of the Year. Definitely. There are others who have performed very well this season but he’s my colleague, so I would back him.”

Should probably say Mata is the best player he has ever played with and not Gervinho. :lol: