Juan Mata

Severinb

He isn't going to grow bigger or get any quicker. Don't get me wrong I like Mata a lot but with people so desperate for Mourinho to come back it's an important question to ask.

Obviously. I meant physically stronger. It's something he needs to improve on anyway. Too often he has lost the ball under a bit of pressure when against physical opponents. Silva isn't exactly the strongest or the biggest but he's good at protecting the ball when under pressure.

Obviously. I meant physically stronger. It's something he needs to improve on anyway. Too often he has lost the ball under a bit of pressure when against physical opponents. Silva isn't exactly the strongest or the biggest but he's good at protecting the ball when under pressure.

But Mata is a naturally small guy. He could improve his core strength a little but he'd still be weak. That's my biggest issue with Mata, he loses the ball a lot under pressure because he doesn't have the strength to shield the ball or the quick burst of pace to wriggle out of trouble. When teams pressure us he becomes invisible and for that reason I;m almost certain Mourinho wouldn't trust him in the heat of the battle in the big, tight games when you have to earn the right to play first.

But Mata is a naturally small guy. He could improve his core strength a little but he'd still be weak. That's my biggest issue with Mata, he loses the ball a lot under pressure because he doesn't have the strength to shield the ball or the quick burst of pace to wriggle out of trouble. When teams pressure us he becomes invisible and for that reason I;m almost certain Mourinho wouldn't trust him in the heat of the battle in the big, tight games when you have to earn the right to play first.

Sad but true. :cry:

No one knows whether Mourinho will even come back to Chelsea...yet we are talking about whether he'd trust Mata in big, tight games?

Granted that Mata isn't effective when teams pressurize us...but that's something all three of our No # 10's will have to deal with over the coming seasons..

Mata goes missing in the big games? Rubbish, sorry. Against Arsenal away from home he scores and creates one, at home he scores 1 and played an integral part for the second goal and after Ramires was the best play on the pitch. Tottenham 2-4 Chelsea, was our best player on the pitch, scored 2 that game and created 1. Also, when we lost 3-2 to United this season, his excellent free kick got us back in the game, he went missing when we got players sent off but certainly started to influence the game before the sending off.

Also he is not obviously the strongest but he makes up for that with intelligence, skill and brilliant awareness. Mourinho loves players like Mata, Ozil, Di Maria. He is also not the fastest but he is certainly not a slouch. Also in our Champions League win last season he was along with Drogba and Ramires, one of our most important players throughout the tournament and certainly stepped up in the big games. How you have drawn out those conclusions completely baffle me.

Best and most consistent player for Chelsea this season, one of the best players in the whole EPL. He has turned around so many games earlier in the season (Lampard has been doing that for us more now). We wouldn't even be close to top 4 without him. I mean sure, he has his weaknesses, but his passing, vision, and finishing is top notch, so its no wonder he has so many assists and goals (more in each than Rooney, silva, whoever else you want to mention in the EPL)

Point is, I love Mourinho, but if he is the great manager I know he is, he would recognize Mata is true talent, that will only become greater in the next few years. Mata's biggest flaw to me is how often he plays the ball to Torres, he should know better by now.

For those mentioning Ozil as a similar player you're wrong. Ozil is 6'0, quick and able to hold the ball up far better under pressure than Mata is. Sure they're both flair players but physically they're miles apart.

Mata goes missing in the big games? Rubbish, sorry. Against Arsenal away from home he scores and creates one, at home he scores 1 and played an integral part for the second goal and after Ramires was the best play on the pitch. Tottenham 2-4 Chelsea, was our best player on the pitch, scored 2 that game and created 1. Also, when we lost 3-2 to United this season, his excellent free kick got us back in the game, he went missing when we got players sent off but certainly started to influence the game before the sending off.

Also he is not obviously the strongest but he makes up for that with intelligence, skill and brilliant awareness. Mourinho loves players like Mata, Ozil, Di Maria. He is also not the fastest but he is certainly not a slouch. Also in our Champions League win last season he was along with Drogba and Ramires, one of our most important players throughout the tournament and certainly stepped up in the big games. How you have drawn out those conclusions completely baffle me.

Not so much the big games but the tight games that require a lot of energy, speed and power. When opponents press us he is one of quite a few players who become practically useless as he can't defend or hold the ball up. But don't get me wrong I like Mata and think technically he is a fantastic footballer. I don't want to think what position we'd be in without his goals and assists this season.

I doesnt matter if player is small, he can easily be strong at same time. Look at Messi, Iniesta and xavi they are small, but posses great balance and can hold the ball using their body to protect it. Mata cant do that and we are weak because of it. You dont need realy tall players, but they must hold the ball well.

Some of the comments on here are pure blasphemy.

Three different managers yet always being called upon to rescue their collective asses even despite the additional 80 million spent on other creative players. He hasn't even been here 2 years and already some are wondering if he has a spot in a Mourinho squad? You're right pure blasphemy.

I don't think he'd toss him aside I just struggle to believe a player like Mata could ever be an integral member of a Mourinho team. Has he ever had a player like Mata before? I can't recall him having one at Porto, Chelsea, Inter or now Madrid. Maybe the closest was Deco at Porto but he was bigger and stronger than Mata and was deceptively quick, over the first few yards, in his prime.

Bigger and stronger? Barely. Mata is deceptively quick too and would be fine in a Mourinho team, although I suspect we're going to have a decision regarding Oscar and Mata in the years to come.

He also had Sneijder at Inter albeit in a slightly different role and brought on Modric against United as well.

For those mentioning Ozil as a similar player you're wrong. Ozil is 6'0, quick and able to hold the ball up far better under pressure than Mata is. Sure they're both flair players but physically they're miles apart.

Not so much the big games but the tight games that require a lot of energy, speed and power. When opponents press us he is one of quite a few players who become practically useless as he can't defend or hold the ball up. But don't get me wrong I like Mata and think technically he is a fantastic footballer. I don't want to think what position we'd be in without his goals and assists this season.

Yeah let's completely ignore that in most big games this season Mata has had a big say...

Mata not world class? Are you smoking magic mushrooms? Not consistent enough? My God.

Debatable in how you actually define World Class. Highest Performance on the European Stages/International Stages as well as a High Amount of Consistency. I don't rate players in that category until their prime and Mata surely, (Considering how he has performed with Valencia because i actually know what he can become) is not in his prime yet.

Debatable in how you actually define World Class. Highest Performance on the European Stages/International Stages as well as a High Amount of Consistency. I don't rate players in that category until their prime and Mata surely, (Considering how he has performed with Valencia because i actually know what he can become) is not in his prime yet.

So because he isn't in his prime (or you think he can become better) he isn't world class? Okay...