Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Should try to partner him with another striker. He never had the skillset to be a lone striker for a top top team and he never will with that first touch. Him and Benteke up top should be tried and tried until it starts working, because it will work and when it works, it'll be devastating. Benteke holds the ball up, waits for Eden or KDB while Lukaku just makes runs all over the place into space. Just tell Lukaku to always run away from the ball and Benteke to always go towards the ball and let the genius behind the strikers decide where the ball should go - short (bentekkers) to advance play or long (predator) into space.

I'm no fan of Lukaku, but no denying dude is a beast and if used the right way he'd be a handful for the best of the best CBs. The sole aim should be to get him facing a defender 1 on 1. He will destroy that CB, no matter who it is most of the time.

Well looks like Wilmotts took your advice with Origi and Lukaku up front tongue.png. I would like to see that more and think we will see that more when Benteke returns to the NT. Seems to suit Origi as well as or even better due to his blistering place and with Lukaku/Origi being partnered up front with a striker whose hold up play is very good, think it will work wonders.

Meh I don't see the big deal with Origi. I didn't watch the last few Belgium matches so I don't know if he's improved but he was just OK at the world cup.

He is better at some things than Lukaku so his skillset was welcomed to the team because Lukaku won't fit in a team that plays at such a low tempo. But I don't see Origi ever becoming better a better striker than Benteke or Lukaku.

Meh I don't see the big deal with Origi. I didn't watch the last few Belgium matches so I don't know if he's improved but he was just OK at the world cup.

He is better at some things than Lukaku so his skillset was welcomed to the team because Lukaku won't fit in a team that plays at such a low tempo. But I don't see Origi ever becoming better a better striker than Benteke or Lukaku or Lukaku.

TBH, from what I saw last night he looked much more threatening than Lukaku and I guess that was shown in why Origi played the whole game and Lukaku was subbed off. He has blistering pace and I think if he plays with someone who can hold up the ball well and he plays on the last shoulder, I reckon Origi would do very well. But, I would need a Belgian or Lille fan to provide me their general opinion on him.

Why did Roberto Martinez give him the n10 jersey?

Because squad numbers are not as important as they were before. Boulahrouz, Sidwell and Di Santo were our nr. 9, Gallas was the nr. 10 at Arsenal, Lassana Diarra was the nr. 10 for Real Madrid etc etc...

TBH, from what I saw last night he looked much more threatening than Lukaku and I guess that was shown in why Origi played the whole game and Lukaku was subbed off. He has blistering pace and I think if he plays with someone who can hold up the ball well and he plays on the last shoulder, I reckon Origi would do very well. But, I would need a Belgian or Lille fan to provide me their general opinion on him.

You summoned a Belgium fan? ;-)

Origi basically outplays Lukaku in every department. There's not a doubt in anyone's mind in Belgium that Origi is to be preferred over Lukaku. He has great technique, pace, control, and so on. Liverpool have done a fantastic deal with this player. Will be great to see him in action in the EPL next year, as replacement for Balotelli :)

Benteke is different question. Benteke in top form may still get the upperhand on Origi, we'll have to see. One thing's for sure though, Lukaku has dropped to 3rd position already. He will need massive improvement to work his way up again, but people in Belgium have serious doubts this is ever going to happen. Still a good player if your team plays kick & rush counter football though, but not many teams doing that anymore.

Because squad numbers are not as important as they were before. Boulahrouz, Sidwell and Di Santo were our nr. 9, Gallas was the nr. 10 at Arsenal, Lassana Diarra was the nr. 10 for Real Madrid etc etc...

Squad numbers are actually more important than ever, now football is so commerical. Hence why Hazard was not allowed to have 17, and Real Madrid have all their key players/new signings with 11, 10, 8 & 7; Barca with 9, 10 & 11 up top.

The number 10 shirt is ok for any forward type player, hence why Rooney wears it.

Squad numbers are actually more important than ever, now football is so commerical. Hence why Hazard was not allowed to have 17, and Real Madrid have all their key players/new signings with 11, 10, 8 & 7; Barca with 9, 10 & 11 up top.

The number 10 shirt is ok for any forward type player, hence why Rooney wears it.

This. And since Lukaku is their most expensive signing ever, he has to get it.

Origi basically outplays Lukaku in every department. There's not a doubt in anyone's mind in Belgium that Origi is to be preferred over Lukaku. He has great technique, pace, control, and so on. Liverpool have done a fantastic deal with this player. Will be great to see him in action in the EPL next year, as replacement for Balotelli :)

Benteke is different question. Benteke in top form may still get the upperhand on Origi, we'll have to see. One thing's for sure though, Lukaku has dropped to 3rd position already. He will need massive improvement to work his way up again, but people in Belgium have serious doubts this is ever going to happen. Still a good player if your team plays kick & rush counter football though, but not many teams doing that anymore.

Origi is simply the better footballer. At the World Cup he looked really good with the ball at his feet and his speed is ridiculous. I was more impressed by him in the summer than I have been in nearly 3 years of watching Lukaku, and I'm sure that's how many in Belgium football feel.

Needs to find some form, he's looked dire every time I've seen him this season... It's strange how few aerial duels he wins as well, being his size. Probably too heavy.

Clearly going to be 3rd striker for Belgium in the near future and who knows what'll happen if Batshuayi starts getting more playtime in Marseille.

As a Chelsea fan said before the World Cup, we should sell him ahead of the tournament because his value could only fall as potential buyers saw more of him. Someone also said, during the tournament, that Lukaku spent the summer transforming himself from Belgium's second choice striker into Belgium's third choice striker. The only surprise would be if anyone was surprised about that.

Many congratulations to CFC for cashing-out so well because there is no such thing as a top quality striker who lacks top level technique. Adequate ones maybe, but top ones no. Rom lacks technique in a big way and anyone waiting for that to change will be disappointed. It isn't going to happen.

It's so frustrating when he can't even make a simple pass sideways to keep the play going.

He's definitely the type of player that, when he's scoring people look over his faults, but they're so fucking glaring when he isn't playing well.

Not at all frustrating.

Any more. :)

+captains...

I can bet sponsors pick the captains for the national teams these days...

Rom lacks technique in a big way and anyone waiting for that to change will be disappointed.

Strange thing is that in his last matches it's not only the technique that's missing. He doesn't even put his immense power to good use anymore. Against Bosnia he lost just about every duel, air our ground. So easily pushed away. A friend of mine suggested that maybe he wants to prove his technicality so badly that he deliberately stops using his strong body & raw power ... which evidently leaves him with nothing.

Personally I think it's just a typical striker confidence issue. He can do better than what he's showing today. But not a lot.

I was never a fan of him, and still aren't, but jeez... Some people acting as if his hopes of being a class player are dashed at 21? Furthermore acting as if it serves him right or whatever. We have no idea what went on. It's whatever though... lol.

He has flaws, and if he works hard, he can iron them out. Like any player. Anyone acting as if they can predict the future on this kid. Sure... keep thinking it. No one knows how anyone will pan out. No one expected Bale to be this good today. No one expected Messi to pan out the way he did. No one expected Matic to make the progress he did at his age.

Yes, it was a great piece of business by us. but the guy is young... Maybe he is stupid, ignorant and far too arrogant at his age, but then again, I'm sure a lot of us were, and we weren't anywhere near the position he is in currently. Hope he figures it out, despite not being a fan. He is fun to watch when he is on.

I was never a fan of him, and still aren't, but jeez... Some people acting as if his hopes of being a class player are dashed at 21? Furthermore acting as if it serves him right or whatever. We have no idea what went on. It's whatever though... lol.

He has flaws, and if he works hard, he can iron them out. Like any player. Anyone acting as if they can predict the future on this kid. Sure... keep thinking it. No one knows how anyone will pan out. No one expected Bale to be this good today. No one expected Messi to pan out the way he did. No one expected Matic to make the progress he did at his age.

Yes, it was a great piece of business by us. but the guy is young... Maybe he is stupid, ignorant and far too arrogant at his age, but then again, I'm sure a lot of us were, and we weren't anywhere near the position he is in currently. Hope he figures it out, despite not being a fan. He is fun to watch when he is on.

I was never a fan of Romelu's and nor did I ever think he had any hope of becoming a top player. Once before someone told me that trying to predict Romelu's future would make me look foolish. In the end, we all see the same evidence, it's just that each of us assesses that evidence in our own way. My assessment leads me to stick to the opinion I formed the very first time I saw him play; Rom can make a contribution but he will never reach the level of a first-choice Chelsea player.

So far that prediction has not made me look foolish. If this changes I'll be pleased for the lad but, sadly, I don't expect it to.

As I say, I agree with the view ParNolio7 expresses above. Rom can be a competent striker if he structures his game around his strengths and minimises the exposure of his weaknesses. I don't know if the kid is yet ready to accept that he's stuck with his weaknesses but he's bright so, if he hasn't done so yet, he will get there soon enough. It seems likely to take some members of this board a little longer however. :)

I have a feeling Lukaku will be sold in the next 2-3 seasons if martinez wants to keep his job.

Martinez has made a lot of questionable transfers in the likes of besic, lukaku and mccarthy.

McCarthy has been great for them