Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Meh. I think Sturridge was a bigger mistake than Lukaku, I don't even view the Lukaku sale as a mistake to be honest because it's best for all parties involved. Romelu doesn't want to stay, Mourinho doesn't want him, Everton are in need of a striker and we get a decent fee. It's fine.

Romelu Lukaku isn't the only young striker talent out there. It's not a really big deal for me because he hasn't done anything for us and tbh, will only realise his potential at a club like Everton where he is given constant adoration by his coach and where he is the undisputed number 1 striker. He won't have that here.

there are a lot of young strikers but how many of them HG? how many were already in chelsea? the market is so inflamed that origi plays 2 good games as u sub (he was poor in the 3rd match where he started, average against USA and pathetic against argentina) and that dude goes for 10mil.

also, i seriously dont get the "lukaku dint want to stay" argument. he said multiple times that he wanted to play for a CL team, and he ends up at everton who may NEVER get a CL spot. i think its a case of jose not rating him (and i will leave my personal feelings aside and support it like i did with MATA). but this WILL come back to bite us massively.

On another note, we're currently on a net transfer profit in this window :

In

Costa 32m + Fabregas 27m + Luis 15.8m = 74.8m

Out

Luiz 50m + Ba 4.7m + Lukaku 24m = 78.7m

(figures from wikipedia)

That's only partially true because it only takes transfer fees into account, not wages.

However, Lampard and Cole leaving certainly helped on that front too.

there are a lot of young strikers but how many of them HG? how many were already in chelsea? the market is so inflamed that origi plays 2 good games as u sub (he was poor in the 3rd match where he started, average against USA and pathetic against argentina) and that dude goes for 10mil.

Well, if Lukaku wasn't constantly angling for a move out of the club we may have gotten more for him but everyone knew he wanted to go because of the noises he's been making all year round. And CFC won't keep a player just because he's HG.

also, i seriously dont get the "lukaku dint want to stay" argument. he said multiple times that he wanted to play for a CL team, and he ends up at everton who may NEVER get a CL spot. i think its a case of jose not rating him (and i will leave my personal feelings aside and support it like i did with MATA). but this WILL come back to bite us massively.

No CL team made a serious push for Lukaku so naturally he'd like to go to a club that is challenging for a CL spot, under a manager that supports him and his development. Couple that with the fact that Jose probably doesn't rate him highly and it's very easy to see why he's been sold.

I don't think it will come back to haunt us massively at all, because whilst I do think Romelu will develop further into a good striker, he won't ever be one of the best; of course you never know in football, but I trust Mourinho and the board know what they're doing. As I said, there will always be other players that'll come through. We'll see how things pan out in the future.

After some people on here thought I was being offensive and disrespectful for saying I'm "over" Mata's departure, I'll state in advance I'll make no apologies for the following statement:

Anyone else not really bothered that he's going? He's played for Chelsea about ten times, his attitude stinks (can't seem to deal with the competition) and every time I've watched him play for Everton he's mainly looked sloppy and lazy, and his inconsistent performances are papered over by a half-decent goalscoring return.

£25 million to go and spend on someone who won't moan their way out of the club. José clearly doesn't think he's good enough for Chelsea, and I have to agree with him, personally.

If that offends you then I can recommend a good cure for butthurt, but I have literally no emotional attachment to the player whatsoever. Sorry guys, but I'm siding with TSO's judgement here.

Have a scroll back through the last 10 or so pages and have a look at some of the posts. We'll need a pallet of that cream methinks.

In Mourinhos biography he expects three attributes from his strikers;

1. Goals. 2. An ability to be the first line of defence. 3.A technical ability to stitch the midfield and attacking phases together.

Although hes been scoring, Its patently obvious Lukaku doesnt meet the criteria, and seems reluctant to learn. Diego ticks all the boxes, and if another attacker is signed, Jose wants to see those skills on his CV.

This should be the first and last post in this thread.

How many strikers have scored 15 goals in the league? Mourinho wants more from strikers.

Drogba scored more than Lukaku's 15 PL goals last season on only TWO occasions (2007, 2010) but he brought so much more to the team than just goals. He made the team better, he made Robben, Duff, Malouda, Lamps, Ballack, Anelka etc. better players and he made the team more structured.

And you're spot on about Costa fitting that criteria. In the last friendly Costa impressed me not with his goal, but with what he did in the first minute.

He sprinted to close down a defender and told the players behind him to follow him. Lukaku doesn't have that in him.