Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Please lets make sure we DO NOT do a Matic V.2.....

Why not? That worked out perfectly for us. He would never have developed like he did had he stayed here and the fact that he was here as a youngster helped us get him back quickly and for a low price and helped him settle in almost immediately after his return.

If anything this would be a Sturidge V2. Now THAT was pure idiocy.

I know exactly what you said. Make all the excuses for him that you want but the guy was getting chances.

Yeahyeahyeah whatever. If Torres, Ba and even Schurrle get starting spots before you and Eto'o is coming, you pretty much know the manager doesn't rate you.

I'm starting to doubt he'll ever come back, especially after a good World Cup. The only European club that doesn't seem to appreciate him at this time seems to be Chelsea. He's such a big fan. If he'd just been given a decent run of games, I don't think he'd ever want to leave. He should have started the first three matches, as a reward for last season and his productive pre-season. There would have never been a loan, nor a problem.

Lukaku is a very proud guy. I'm curious about what will happen, but I wouldn't put any money on the outcome right now.

lukaku may have been getting minutes and maybe when we bought etoo he thought that even those minutes would go out of the window. he was already losing the striker spot in chelsea and just dint want to lose the striker spot for belgium too to benteke.

he is a 20 year old. maybe he panicked. maybe he made a mistake. but so what? one mistake does not mean me sell him specially when he can be a major asset to us. simply dont see why we should be selling the best U-21 striker in the world right now.

I don't think we should sell him necessarily. I think a year or two on loan might be the best if we get in Costa and Mandzukic and then assess him from there.

Having said that there's also a case for selling him for profit and using that to strengthen the squad in the short term.

Yeahyeahyeah whatever. If Torres, Ba and even Schurrle get starting spots before you and Eto'o is coming, you pretty much know the manager doesn't rate you.

How many starts did Azpi get in those four matches?

How about minutes? Less than a minute at United. His first start was a month later in the COC but he took that chance, worked his bollocks off and became a first-choice member of this squad. That's the type of player Jose likes.

Lukaku is a very proud guy. I'm curious about what will happen, but I wouldn't put any money on the outcome right now.

I also think he's poorly advised. Last season he had Torres, Ba and Eto'o as competition. The shirt was there to be won.

Next season he could quite possibly have Costa and Mandzukic as competition. If he wants to leave then we sell him for a profit or loan him. If he wants to stay and fight then good for him.

Ultimately this club wins and that's the most important thing. As I've said before, he needs Chelsea more than Chelsea needs Romelu Lukaku.

I don't think we should sell him necessarily. I think a year or two on loan might be the best if we get in Costa and Mandzukic and then assess him from there.

Having said that there's also a case for selling him for profit and using that to strengthen the squad in the short term.

loaning him IS the best possible option. specially with a success at a mid-table team like wba, then a europa team like everton and now maybe,,, ATM/bvb.

selling lukaku gives us no profit. just like selling sturridge dint give us any "profit". the loss in the number of goals, plus buying another striker in a couple of years after mandzukic gets 30 years old simply negates any 2mil profit we would get out of lukaku by selling him for 20mi.

Explain to me why he desperately needs Chelsea at this moment?

Because we're the club he's always wanted to play for, and we're one of the biggest clubs in the world. If he wants to go and play for a team like Everton or Spurs then he can do that and I would wish him happiness. If he wants to go abroad then the same applies.

But this club will survive and prosper with or without him. Honestly speaking, if we do get in Costa and Mandzukic then it really doesn't matter what he asks to do. His value right now is quite high but it could quite easily decrease if he doesn't keep progressing as a footballer. Conversely it could increase if he adds more to his game. The potential that it could increase is why we should probably loan him for at least one season.

He's still young, he has time and that's what his advisors should have told him at the start of September.

I really wouldn't call letting go of a young player without giving him a chance and then buying him back for 21m as 'working out perfectly'.

Why? You think he would have gotten the playing time he got at Benfica had he stayed here? He would never have developed like he did. It is just impossible for a team always looking for success and trophies like Chelsea in a competitive league like the EPL to trust an unproven rising player. That's the sad reality.

Why? You think he would have gotten the playing time he got at Benfica had he stayed here? He would never have developed like he did. It is just impossible for a team always looking for success and trophies like Chelsea in a competitive league like the EPL to trust an unproven rising player. That's the sad reality.

Because as valid points as those points are referring to it as 'working out perfectly' is disingenuous in my honest opinion. I don't mind that we bought him back and 20m+ is the going-rate for good midfielders but that term doesn't sit well with me because he was ours and we never game him the chance.

Because as valid points as those points are referring to it as 'working out perfectly' is disingenuous in my honest opinion. I don't mind that we bought him back and 20m+ is the going-rate for good midfielders but that term doesn't sit well with me because he was ours and we never game him the chance.

Yeah but it's shorter than "it worked out in one of the best ways realistically possible for our current position and status in the modern game" :P

Why not? That worked out perfectly for us. He would never have developed like he did had he stayed here and the fact that he was here as a youngster helped us get him back quickly and for a low price and helped him settle in almost immediately after his return.

If anything this would be a Sturidge V2. Now THAT was pure idiocy.

I get what you are saying about the Sturridge v 2 analogy, but the difference being that we got Lukaku for some 18(15?) million pounds a few years back, and he has had the chance to develop elsewhere last 2 years.

At the moment, he is more than qualified to play in a 4-4-2, or as a second striker option behind costa or cavani.

Thats the reason i say we should keep him.

Even if we were to sell him, we would surely have to buy him back for a huge sum, much closer to a 30 million amount or so in 2 years time....maybe more if he becomes crazy good?

Matic was a chelsea youth guy so he was for free when we let him go, and bought him back for 21 million or so.

Anyways, i think he is ready to play as a second striker, whether its 4-4-2 regular starting position, or to be chosen among two strikers based on the opponent.

I think all our 3 strikers scored a combined 17 goals this season, and as for Lukaku, he will cross that in the PL alone, even as a second striker.

Because we're the club he's always wanted to play for, and we're one of the biggest clubs in the world. If he wants to go and play for a team like Everton or Spurs then he can do that and I would wish him happiness. If he wants to go abroad then the same applies.

But this club will survive and prosper with or without him. Honestly speaking, if we do get in Costa and Mandzukic then it really doesn't matter what he asks to do. His value right now is quite high but it could quite easily decrease if he doesn't keep progressing as a footballer. Conversely it could increase if he adds more to his game. The potential that it could increase is why we should probably loan him for at least one season.

He's still young, he has time and that's what his advisors should have told him at the start of September.

With the special circumstance being its a world cup year and you don't have that opportunity very often.