Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Such a split of opinion with bringing Rom back. If, which is looking likely, we,ll be in the hunt for a 'strong/target man' CF due to the way we and Conte play. There arent too many that fit that bill - Rom, Moratta. Belotti?, Cavani..

Out of them, Lukaku is the only one to play in England and whether he scores for a mid table team/not against the big boys etc etc he does still get a good return with at least 15 PL goals in 4 out of the 5 seasons he's had a full season.

Cavani for me is a good player- misses a hell of a lot of chances but gets in the right positions to be able to get them chances. Age is catching up with him mind.

Belotti i havnt seen too much of, huge prices being mentioned and only had one good season so far?

Moratta i was totally against 3 months ago but am starting to warm to. Conte seems to love him and you have to trust that.

If Costa leaves Moratta or big Rom to come in and fill his boots for the next 8-10 years id be happy - especially if we can nick sanchez for a hazard----moratta/Rom----Sanchez top three would get me excited

On 19/05/2017 at 0:14 PM, gadget said:

Such a split of opinion with bringing Rom back. If, which is looking likely, we,ll be in the hunt for a 'strong/target man' CF due to the way we and Conte play. There arent too many that fit that bill - Rom, Moratta. Belotti?, Cavani..

Out of them, Lukaku is the only one to play in England and whether he scores for a mid table team/not against the big boys etc etc he does still get a good return with at least 15 PL goals in 4 out of the 5 seasons he's had a full season.

Cavani for me is a good player- misses a hell of a lot of chances but gets in the right positions to be able to get them chances. Age is catching up with him mind.

Belotti i havnt seen too much of, huge prices being mentioned and only had one good season so far?

Moratta i was totally against 3 months ago but am starting to warm to. Conte seems to love him and you have to trust that.

If Costa leaves Moratta or big Rom to come in and fill his boots for the next 8-10 years id be happy - especially if we can nick sanchez for a hazard----moratta/Rom----Sanchez top three would get me excited

Aguero wasnt PL proven when he came to england. Neither did Suarez or Costa.

Its all about skill and mentality. 

Tbh if we get Lukaku and Alexis, everyone will be jumping off their seats, but watch those two play and they will bang hattrick each against wba and shit their pants against bayern real barca. 

I hope we pick better options than those two.

Did anyone here actually watch lukaku this season? Can an everton fan or someone lurking their forum offer some neutral insights about him? much appreciated. Cause when I watch beigian team in Euro and in our match against everton I didn't see him anywhere on the pitch. What about his attitude, movement, work rate?

On May 18, 2017 at 9:46 PM, Pizy said:

We keep saying the fee would be ridiculous, and it is, but when you compare him to what United bought Pogba for it may be a bargain years from now when we look back on it. Pogba doesn't score goals and really doesn't directly create many either. For about the same price we'd be signing a player who's the same age as Pogba but scores a pretty much nailed on 20 goals per season in the PL alone.

So yes, £80m+ is crazy, but if he scores us 20+ goals a season for the duration of his contract that'll be worth it. So long as he's not the sole player we depend on for goals I'll be happy with his signing.

For god sake, just because juve tricked those manchester retards into paying 89m for a dabbing machine doesn't justified we doing the same. We don't really desparate for a  golden boot, we need a player who can shine in big match like Eden is, someone who can support the team when he can't score (dribbling, holding, passing the ball, making movement, pressing defenders).  I don't care if we are 3/4/5-0 against sunderland but if he can score just once aganist the likes of psg then it's hellvua worth it. And truth is I didn't see him in big match so far.

pogba used to be one hottest prospect, a wonderkid chased by real madrid, too bad mr youth killer forgot to buy user manual from conte.

16 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Aguero wasnt PL proven when he came to england. Neither did Suarez or Costa.

Its all about skill and mentality. 

Tbh if we get Lukaku and Alexis, everyone will be jumping off their seats, but watch those two play and they will bang hattrick each against wba and shit their pants against bayern real barca. 

I hope we pick better options than those two.

Agreed and of course unproven players can become stars in the PL lie the names you mentioned but there is also a risk that a player could flop. My argument is you can take away that risk with Lukaku who is proven in the PL.

Thats more of a clubs mentality to shit themselves against a big club, the mentality of us is a completely different thing.

What better options would you put forward?

On 4/21/2017 at 1:42 PM, BlueLyon said:

Technique was never an issue for me with him. You have brilliant technical players, lets say Balotelli who despite all their skill never did it on big stage. 

To me all that matters is that whatever they can do they can do it on big stage against top opponents. Diego is rather poor techician, but he was just unplayable in some big games (first city game this season how he cought that ball before scoring or psg goal last year). We all know he is no Aguero, but he showed all his quality in these big games. 

Problem for me with Lukaku is that despite he is ok technician, maybe not great, but in big games he is not even the  half of player he is usualy. 

Ben Arfa who is not a striker tho, he is brilliant dribbler but absolute piss in psg this season. 

You can have all the talent in world, if you cant use it its useless. Many players with less talent who know how to use what they have are alot more valuable. Because they train harder and eventualy it makes them bigger character because they know how hard they tried.

That brings me to second point, Lukaku never looked like serious hard worker to me. He is quite a moody player and plays well when he likes to and if things go south, he doesnt care anymore. Much like Sanchez, but Sanchez still has the work rate. 

Im not entirely convinced by Lukaku, but his technique is the last problem I have with him. Its great that Drogba vouches for him, and its great that he is a big chelsea fan, but he will have to work alot harder if he joins us to become top striker, which Im not so sure will have happy ending. 

He is young tho and Drogba came here when he was 26 after one very good season in Marseille. 

One thing you can account for is one's love for the club. When you have players who live and die for the badge you can get that bit extra out of them, Lukaku has loved Chelsea forever and that will help his mentality. Not to mention that he'll be playing with much much better players at Chelsea than he was at Everton.

1 hour ago, gadget said:

Agreed and of course unproven players can become stars in the PL lie the names you mentioned but there is also a risk that a player could flop. My argument is you can take away that risk with Lukaku who is proven in the PL.

Thats more of a clubs mentality to shit themselves against a big club, the mentality of us is a completely different thing.

If we are prepared to spend 150m plus on Lukaku and Sanchez, then we should target Griezmann/Isco/Silva/Lemar maybe even Gnabry for RW spot. I have no idea about the striker though, Lukakus mentality is not my cup of tea, Belotti is rather unproven and Morata needs to have another goalscorer next to him. But I think I would go for Morata. Even better, if Costa decides to stay, I would be more than happy.

Sanchez gonna be 29 soon, he likes Arsenal alot, I would prefer we target someone younger who can create history here and be remembered as Chelsea boys like Eden and Azpi.

Now very unrealistic, but lets say we get 80m for Costa, we can easily bid 80m for Lewandowski, think Bayern wouldnt refuse that. 100m is alot and I dont think Lukaku is worth it. 

49 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

One thing you can account for is one's love for the club. When you have players who live and die for the badge you can get that bit extra out of them, Lukaku has loved Chelsea forever and that will help his mentality. Not to mention that he'll be playing with much much better players at Chelsea than he was at Everton.

I completely agree, passion is big part with players. Those who love club will put even better perfornances.

Lukaku might be fan of Chelsea, but I doubt he will give that passion. He has big ambitions, but Im not sure if has right thinking to achieve them.

He demands the respect and move to a big club, but he has to earn it. Right now, I see him as big fish in small pound. Regardless of goals he scores, the only two reasons I would get him are that he is young, so he can improve and likes Chelsea. Not sure he is already established striker to lead us into glory.

5 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

If we are prepared to spend 150m plus on Lukaku and Sanchez, then we should target Griezmann/Isco/Silva/Lemar maybe even Gnabry for RW spot. I have no idea about the striker though, Lukakus mentality is not my cup of tea, Belotti is rather unproven and Morata needs to have another goalscorer next to him. But I think I would go for Morata. Even better, if Costa decides to stay, I would be more than happy.

Sanchez gonna be 29 soon, he likes Arsenal alot, I would prefer we target someone younger who can create history here and be remembered as Chelsea boys like Eden and Azpi.

Now very unrealistic, but lets say we get 80m for Costa, we can easily bid 80m for Lewandowski, think Bayern wouldnt refuse that. 100m is alot and I dont think Lukaku is worth it. 

not sure where you've pulled £150m but i wouldn't want all tat spent either. Griezmann- Yes although £80m+ and almost certain going to United. Isco/silva id take happily but cant see them fitting in the RW spot. Lemar i haunt seen enough of and you must be smoking for Gnabry.

Lewandowsk is class but i doubt he will want to leave, plus the age argument again 80m for a striker whos got 2/3 good years left? My point is that we could do alot worse than Lukaku given his age and proven

With the amount we'd no doubt spend on Lukaku + 2 back up players who never see 10 appearances each, we could buy Messi. 
We could buy any of Ronaldo, Isco, Modric, Suarez, Dybala, Cavani, Mbappe, Bale, Belotti, Kroos, Vidal, Nainggolan, so many more. Everyone's available when we realistically consider how much we tend to spend. (90% of the superstars in world football, including at Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona, would come to us these days, all things considered, no doubt.) Couple that with league-win money...

And yet out of all these, out of all the others not mentioned, people want to focus on Lukaku.:blush:

If Drogba had never existed we'd never have been linked to this guy. He wouldn't be watched or courted by any of us. Only a romantic notion of somehow reliving the old days keeps this silly Romelu flame alive. It's like Milan fans thinking they were replacing Pirlo by bringing in Montolivo :doh:; and Barcelona fans gagging over any short dribbler from South America (Araujo, Iturbe, Dybala, Correa) in hope they're the next Messi. They never come close, even the best of them.

All Lukaku offers is goals, and there's plenty of strikers without the marketing power who score just as many, have more experience and all-round qualities, yet wouldn't cost a penny over £14m, since they've played their days in the Bundesliga or Serie A. And of course, they've never made an emotional Youtube video to connect with the hoards of young people who influence a player's value more than performances do.
A player's value's determined by his social media following, not his ability. That's the reality football has embraced. The majority of huge-sum transfers in the past 3-4 years, plus the ones to come in the next couple, have involved potentially above average players, with large followings & unique personalities.
Never before in football would you pay even half the amount we do now, unless a player was already exceptional

Players are just brands now. The change only happened a couple years ago, but the change was aggressive. I've never taken a marketing lesson in my life but even to me it's clear as day how the entire structure of the game, the way players are recruited/promoted, has changed. 

We're still in the infancy of this new era, so we don't have many bad examples yet for people to learn from - but Pogba's showing to be one, slowly, and so would Lukaku, quickly. 

8 minutes ago, gadget said:

not sure where you've pulled £150m but i wouldn't want all tat spent either. Griezmann- Yes although £80m+ and almost certain going to United. Isco/silva id take happily but cant see them fitting in the RW spot. Lemar i haunt seen enough of and you must be smoking for Gnabry.

Lewandowsk is class but i doubt he will want to leave, plus the age argument again 80m for a striker whos got 2/3 good years left? My point is that we could do alot worse than Lukaku given his age and proven

Just going by the rumours. Everton wants close to 100m for Lukaku and Arsenal will definately want 50m for Alexis considering we are rivals.

Thats 150m. For that money we can basicaly compete for nearly any player we want (obviously if they want to join us). 

Sure we can do alot worse than Lukaku. But we should target someone who is better than Costa at his best, which Lukaku definately isnt. 

Obviously those are unlikely, but we should at least try. Griezmann might be off, but I dont agree Isco wont fit us. He is almost as good as Eden on the ball, that would give us another dimension in game. Gnabry btw is having brilliant season, he definately has the potential. He would be the kind of transfer like Azpi was. If we cant get anyone from top like Grizi, Isco etc,...Gnabry would be more than welcome. Not expensive and some serious potential. But obviously we should aim higher right now.

2 hours ago, gadget said:

That doesn't take away the risk atall.

I think people on here are a little too harsh against Lukaku, how i look at things is he is a young physical force who has been scoring goals in a top league at a young age for a mid table team.

Frankly people discussing his mindset and their perception of his mentality i don't necessarily agree with, you don't know whats going on inside his head or how he feels.

I have to believe that Conte has signed off on a transfer of this magnitude so clearly the people in charge see something in him. I think that with a team built like ours and the service we can provide he will be a more consistent scorer than Diego with far less headache, he is still a young developing striker and with a proper team behind him and coaches to push him who says he cant continue to add things to his game. When is a player ever fully formed at 23/24? 

He might not be my #1 option(Belotti for silly personal reasons) but I do believe that if we sign him he will get 25 goals a year for us and he will score against the top 6 and be a handful in the CL. This guy can flat out score and is a physical freak if Conte thinks he can work with him then on the day we announce the signing ill be happy and in time I think he will prove he can lead the line for Chelsea.  

Never have been less excited about transfers as this summer. I'm pretty positive we will spend about 200 mil ( Only from this year transfer income and just a little bit from tv rights) but how many players we can get for 200 mil? Max two decent , not  guaranteed great players and some pocket change? <_< Hardly enough to improve our lack of depth and to replace every player that has left. And to think one of those special players could well be Lukaku, goalscorer yes, but world class - far from. I'm afraid that Europe will disclose his shortcomings. If he comes I really really hope that Sanchez loves London and isn't interested in learning German language. He is the cheapest decent winger we can get. I reckon Hazard wont go. With those two, I could be happy with Lukaku.