Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

I would still get him if we can't get Higuian. 

Higuian would be my first choice but looking long term Lukaku would be better. 

Mistake selling these young players without any buy back clause. 

If you going to sell young players at least insert something like that. 

A front duo of Costa and Lukaku could be very comical though, even more so if in bad shape. At least Costa, even with all his limitations technique-wise, wants to win at all costs and on his day he is nearly unplayable, he could easily produce 30-35 goal per season if fit throughout and consistently supplied with chances, one of the few players in this team that has truly won me over.

2 hours ago, Fernando said:

I would still get him if we can't get Higuian. 

Higuian would be my first choice but looking long term Lukaku would be better. 

Mistake selling these young players without any buy back clause. 

If you going to sell young players at least insert something like that. 

Higuain had an awesome season, but when you look at the past seasons, you realize his goal record is not really better than Lukaku's. In Europe Higuain played for Real, a team that scores goals for fun in Spain, and Napoli, a team that have different status in Serie A, than Everton have in Premier League. Between Lukaku and Higuain, Lukaku is easily the better choice. He is younger and already have PL experience, and no doubt he will be cheaper than Higuain.

2 minutes ago, Henrique said:

Higuain had an awesome season, but when you look at the past seasons, you realize his goal record is not really better than Lukaku's. In Europe Higuain played for Real, a team that scores goals for fun in Spain, and Napoli, a team that have different status in Serie A, than Everton have in Premier League. Between Lukaku and Higuain, Lukaku is easily the better choice. He is younger and already have PL experience, and no doubt he will be cheaper than Higuain.

I remember years ago when I said I wanted to see Sturridge and Lukaku in the team. That of course before we sold them both. That would have been a deadly combination like Gudjohnsen and Hasselbaink of years ago. 

I think if we get Lukaku back that might help Hazard and Courtois feel more comfortable. So I guess that is also a good reason to go for him. 

2 hours ago, Henrique said:

Real may score goals for fun but you must appreciate what Higuain is working with. Not only was he not preferential to Benzema but he also had to compete with Cristiano Ronaldo. Despite it all, Ronaldo is the backbone, the brain and everything of Real Madrid. Higauin has scored many important goals for all of his club, and yes he did have a terrible run of 2013/14 but never doubt this Argentine's ability. To score 120+ goals for a team that not only focuses on another forward but actively chooses another centre forward is nothing short of an amazing job. If it were so easy past failed strikers would have scored many more for Real, and aged van Nistelrooj, Huntelaar, Adebayor, Soldado, Negreo...you know the tune.

I feel it is the zeitgeist to write off Higuian for three incidents. World Cup, Copa Sudamericana and that Champions League ending penalty miss. However those are only three instances in a long career of consistency and improvement. The intelligence and guile of Gonzalo trumps Romulu's power in my eyes.