Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

9. Romelu Lukaku

BlueLion.
Followers 4

2 minutes ago, Mana said:

Villa is literally the only game so far that Lukaku scored more than 1 goal. So until that changes, I wouldn't even call him a flat track bully either. 

But yes, you're right that now he is untouchable. And that is worrying because he can have a run of piss poor performances and still play. Who else do we have though? Havertz, Werner, Kovacic, Mount...all these men can't score for the love of toffees themselves!

In the context of big games Kai, Werner and Mount is a proven trio. All heavily involved in the build up and offer elite level pressing.

• Like 2
  • Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm afraid not a lot of you will have seen the interview (let alone be able to understand a single word they say ). So here's the summary of the most important things that have been said: He's feeling

Big words from Drog.

Wrong shirt at the wrong moment Romelu

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

In the context of big games Kai, Werner and Mount is a proven trio. All heavily involved in the build up and offer elite level pressing.

Hindsight is 20/20 but at the moment its looking like we should of spent 100 million on Chiesa. 

Chiesa/Havertz/Mount would've worked like a fiddle. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Warning_Hazard said:

Or mbappe/haaland

:(

Mbappe perhaps buts its becoming more and more evident this system requires interchangeable attackers to succeed. Haaland isn't it. 

He will score against lesser sides, but the more organised ones he will struggle. I think interchangeable attackers workes better against organised sides.

Also, are we creating less chances too with him at front? Is there a stat for that?

Can we trade him for Haaland next year lol. I hope it gets better soon. The first half we couldnt get him the ball. The second half he missed goals he should score with his eyes closed.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Wonder if it is some mental thing. The chances he got today he would score in his sleep if the opponent was Watford or Norwich 

There could be a mental aspect to it, but I believe it's more lack of skill. Like his own goal in the Europa final still at inter.

It just takes him a bit longer to control the football (first touch) and react when tightly marked. This is less of a problem against weaker sides, where poor defending allows him a bit more time on the ball, but against better defenders and defenses, his lack of skill has a cost.

Edited by robsblubot
  • Like 2

Rewatched the game and i have to say the rest of the team, esp our midfielders just don't know how to bring Lukaku into play effecitvely. He usually makes his runs early when the oppositon is still a bit disoragnised but kovacic and jorginho pass it back, receive it agian, spread it out to the wing backs before they think of playing a direct ball into lukaku. this is what he is there for, where he thrives. Whether you play him into feet or let him use his pace for an off-the shoulder run but play it into him while there is space ffs. If we sacrifice our press and intensity by playing lukaku at least play to his strengths

• Thanks 1

All relevant members who tried hounding the grounded posters on here off the site AND gave me and others serious abuse please remove yourselves from the forum.

Jhype

Vesper

Boycie

Kong

magic lamps

mana

...Take your coats with you!!

Edited by Warning_Hazard

Just one signing to dismantle entire team. Both attack and defence. You couldn't make it up. Proper knock down. That's what he is to this team.

Our attack wasn't perfect. Still we managed to create  many chances while remaining defensive solid. Thanks to pressing, ball recoveries  in advanced area, good movement off the ball shown from our front three. We were able to stop other teams from playing. That's how we won CL. Our most productive player in front three, as limited as he was, was involved in around 30 goals and still created plenty of of chances that were missed by him or others. But it was he who created them.

Now Werner is removed from the team. Our major creator and major goal contributor. Others changed positions. Removed to a striker waiting ball to land on his feet. Who should have had the ability to create his own chances, like his predecessor did, and score from them. We see how it works.

We can't press with him to save our lives. To compliment this striker we downgraded our fullbacks to average attacking wingbacks who  are and will be targeted by any decent opposition and as latest games have shown, are major source of opposition goals and our defensive downfall. 

Edited by laura90
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Mana said:

...just to be clear, who is the "he" you are talking about?

Werner. Watch our goal compilation from the last season. We downgraded our play  by removing Werner for Lukaku. We needed Chiesa type, hard working goalscorer, not Lukaku, who is neither against decent opposition.

For his size and shape Lukaku sure has the ability to shrink and get in the pocket of any quality defender he faces. Of course, this ability of his  couldn't be seen alongside his  stats of goals scored.

I just knew all this jokes about Sterling being in Reece's pocket would backfire on us as soon as we were linked with him.

Edited by laura90

I knew this was huge mistake! Especially after seeing real Lukaku salary with bonuses... Not that far from Lewa... But fee much lesser and age argument is stupid because Lewa at 37 will be better player than Rom at 32.

He is in amazing physical shape like CR and Ibra.

9 hours ago, Hermione said:

Lukaku not delivering? Can't be possible his hardest defenders told me he improved and would improve us. If anything the big guy has killed all our attacking acumen while blocking players like Havertz and Werner from progressing and evolving. Can't wait until he scores again a tap in against a fodder team and someone tells me again, you see how wrong you were? The sad part is this is only the beginning unless we find a club dumb enough to get him off our back he is here for the long run, while Havertz and Werner waste their careers away trying to accommodate this mammoth.

Nonsense talk. Youve always been against him and never given him a chance. A sense of personal hatred! Nothing to do with his skills as a player or striker who just won the scudetto in Italy. Had it been another player you would be singing their praises for this achievement