Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Costa deserved all the stick he got until December, he was garbage and that's putting it lightly. Overall Lukaku has been having a much better season, he needs to forget how to play football completely for his season to end worse than Costa's. I think if both were on form, I'd still choose Costa in this moment, but Lukaku has two undeniable selling points compared to Diego - age and aerial play. Glad we have at least one of them (could have had both, but oh well).

End of the day if he came back here he would be second choice. Sure he has improved his link and aerial play as well as having a decent goal record for a 22 year old but he sure wasn't happy as a number two option for Chelsea 2 years ago so why would he be now? Even now Bertrand Traore is breaking through and he has looked extremely promising in limited appearances. 56M pounds on Lukaku or a player we already have who has impressive technical attributes and has made an impact in limited appearances who can play two or three positions?

These were similar questions when we went to sign Costa regarding the whole Traore bit up there but selling Lukaku for 28M and signing Costa for 4M more has been completely justified.

On 07/03/2016 at 4:50 PM, manpe said:

Costa deserved all the stick he got until December, he was garbage and that's putting it lightly. Overall Lukaku has been having a much better season, he needs to forget how to play football completely for his season to end worse than Costa's. I think if both were on form, I'd still choose Costa in this moment, but Lukaku has two undeniable selling points compared to Diego - age and aerial play. Glad we have at least one of them (could have had both, but oh well).

Of course Costa deserved the stick he was getting, but what didn't sit right with me was all these comments writing Costa off and declaring Lukaku the much better player and we should never have sold him (months after Diego fired us to the title), I mean it wouldn't annoy me so much if those people maintained that even when Costa is playing well, but they don't, the same thing is happening with Courtois now, a bit of bad form and suddenly ever choosing him in the first place was a massive catastrophic error :doh: this type of kneejerking on form is what Arsenal fans are widely mocked for.

Even a couple of people said during the Leicester game that Torres was better than Costa overall (will be in the match thread for that game somewhere) I mean fucking hell comparing The Spaniard favorably against Eto'o and Ba was cringeworthy enough.

On 07/03/2016 at 7:06 PM, OneMoSalah said:

End of the day if he came back here he would be second choice. Sure he has improved his link and aerial play as well as having a decent goal record for a 22 year old but he sure wasn't happy as a number two option for Chelsea 2 years ago so why would he be now? Even now Bertrand Traore is breaking through and he has looked extremely promising in limited appearances. 56M pounds on Lukaku or a player we already have who has impressive technical attributes and has made an impact in limited appearances who can play two or three positions?

These were similar questions when we went to sign Costa regarding the whole Traore bit up there but selling Lukaku for 28M and signing Costa for 4M more has been completely justified.

Funny you mention that because Traores recent appearances got me thinking back to when Lukaku got handed a few chances in 11/12.

Every time he played he was average at best and horrendous at worst, Traore with similar minutes has made them count and has (it appears) leapedfroged Remy to the spot of immediate back up to Diego.

Well Played Son!!!

What a player.

Cant believe we had sold him. Cant believe people wanted him sold.

Hope this will shut up the fans who were happy to see him gone because of his "attitude".

Well, there was one striker who scored a worldie and made a dull 0-0 into 2-0 and another who was playing the wrong sport altogether.

On 07/03/2016 at 4:50 PM, manpe said:

This is not a knee-jerk reaction as Lukaku has been excellent all season but I think Costa and Lukaku are on the same level. Maybe even Lukaku better. Last season, I would have said Costa for sure. Lukaku has good dribbling skills, excellent strength, great hold up play (now), great finishing, runs the channels excellently. Just look at his goal today and against West Ham last week. Lukaku is great at scoring these type of goals. Costa scored a great goal against PSG but Lukaku is more rounded for me now.

Costa has been excellent in recent weeks but unfortunately just came a bit too late. I can't deny that Costa proved short term that Mourinho made the right decision but when you think about it long term, we invested in the best striker of his generation and sold him. And with Costa, there are constant rumours about him retuning to Madrid etc. Lukaku is/was a Chelsea fan and it is clear to see that he is going to be one of the best stikers in the world soon. Actually I would artgue he is up there now. He has everything.

I knew it was going to happen eventually when he scored against us and showed us what we really we were missing. Today was the day. Great performance and a shame he was not given time to do that here.

• Hungry
  • Clinical
  • Strong
  • Aggressive
  • Power
  • Ability
  • Improving

Everything we lack, everything we need and just damn right criminal to watch. I'm not going to hate him for it because I appreciate watching it, well done lad.

1 hour ago, Stats said:

Pure quality. Will be one of the best in the world soon. Meanwhile our Costa is being a prat and looks like he is turning into Suarez. Should reach 30 goals this season. Remarkable :clap:

Put him in a TOP club, and he immediately will be.

Would love to see him in Juve instead of Mandzukic, making tandem with Dybala.

Will be even more salt in the wound when he turns up at City or United. Nailed on to happen. Way too good to be at Everton long. 

Like KdB he will likely haunt us for years at a rival.

Just now, Pizy said:

Will be even more salt in the wound when he turns up at City or United. Nailed on to happen. Way too good to be at Everton long. 

Like KdB he will likely haunt us for years at a rival.

Well, not at United, since they'll have the "Special" One there next year.