Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

1) You're undermining the role he could have here. Torres and Ba started matches... Torres too many. If Lukaku proved he was a best scorer than they - which isn't that hard he could have started many matches. Who said he was destined to play 10-15 minutes for a whole season? I've never expected him to be a super sub throughout the whole season and that the fear that made him move. For someone that believes he's so great he doesn't have proportional confidence in his game. It's almost like he has to convince us with his words because in the pitch he's not sure he will. You misunderstood my point about Benteke, what I meant is that he's much better than all the three mentioned (Lukaku, Torres and Ba) although he isn't an Aguero, let's say. I may even like him better than Costa as I'm not that much of a Costa fan...

2) Again with the assumption he wouldn't play. Last season he would have played a lot of minutes. This year with Costa it's more difficult, that's why last year was his chance and HE wasted it. And yes, he's 21. Why should he have more than a few minutes until he gives José a problem about who should start. You talk of him being 21 as if he was 25. A 25yo has to start every match because he's at his peak, a 21 has to grab every chance thrown his way. Sorry if this offends you, but you seem to think a lot like he does, and that's my problem with him. You earn things, you aren't handled them. A 21 has to prove his value and fight, that's how at age 24/25 you have a guaranteed place, because you fought for it, you worked for it. Lukaku hasn't done that in a top team yet and he will have to do it somewhere if he wants to reach the top.

3) It's not even about being better (although he is better, but he's also older). He was sacrificed for Torres. That was our main mistake. He's scored goals while being here while being second to Didier and Torres (sometimes he was third actually). We made a mistake, we had a gem but we sacrificed him for some blondie. You can never predict precisely a player's future. I didn't expect him to become so good so fast after he left us, but we treated him really badly imo, something we haven't done with Lukaku yet.

4) He does have his qualities, I said as much, but the last one you mentioned is that kind that he isn't willing to offer because to play against tired defenses he has to be in the bench and he (and you seemingly) thinks what he needs now is to start matches. What he needs and what he deserves can be completely different things.

5) Nothing to say about it. we definitely agree on that.

I like Rodriguez he would be perfect. We already have 20 non-HG players for 17 spots, if we let go of a HG player we need to replace him with another one. I'd say bring Jay. It doesn't matter much of who (as it can hardly get worse than Torres), but the profile. A younger player tutored by DD and even Costa, willing to fight his space in the team with some quality will already help us immensely. Of course it can't be a guy that doesn't seem to be promising, but I mean we don't need another WC striker.

1. It's hard to say what his role would have been had he stayed at Chelsea for 2013/2014. At Everton he played 2598 minutes in 33 appearances which comes to 78.73 minutes per appearance. He missed 5 leagues games due to injury but my guess is that he would have had an additional 350-400 minutes from those games. Yes the Striker core was poor last year, but I think it would have been a terrible idea to have him leading the line at 20 even if he was the best. Remember that Mourinho was really trying to land Rooney as the #1 guy up until the deadline.

2. It's not an assumption he wouldn't play but rather he'd play a less than he did at Everton, which isn't the steam cooker that Chelsea is in terms of pressure etc. I think this would be a much better year for him to step into the #2 role because he can get acclimatized to Chelsea plus he's not the #1 but he can get 1500+ minutes and take over the #1 duties should Costa get hurt. I don't think he's being handed anything. I think it's more of a bit of apprehension from happen when he was 18 and AVB didn't loan him out and he sat at Chelsea doing very little. Each player is different some can handle working from the bottom getting nothing and some need to be coddled more. You can choose to get rid of those that needs to be coddled but players do need to be treated based on how their personality works and within the framework of the coaches system. If Mou think that can't work then he should get rid of Lukaku and I'm behind that.

3. It's not about treating a player badly as it is not falling prey to salary and shirt selling pressures. Unfortunately it happens in soccer and all other sports. Players that teams invest in get much longer leashes and they aren't easily displaced by less heralded players because of egos.

4. I don't think he's adverse to coming off of the bench, but I think it's a question of being able to see a future and I'm not sure he sees a future at Chelsea under Mourinho just I don't think Jose sees a future with him leading the line at Chelsea.

It just needs to be someone who can give quality minutes not need to start and be happy that he's playing for a big club and has a shot at trophies. Ideally a younger guy 23/24 would be good but lots of players at that age have starting ambition.

Costa-Drogba-Torres is better than what we had last year. There will be no "downfall" of Jose. He'll replace Lukaku is he leaves v

It might be better than last year but it's not good enough to fight on 4 fronts. Let's hope he does replace Lukaku if he sells him but I'm not too sure.

Sturridge is the more complete striker (compared to Lukaku), that's why people miss him now even to this day. Sturridge is technically sound, fast and able to keep the ball under pressure. We all know he's a selfish cunt but i have to say under Rodgers he passes a lot more. I still wouldn't say he's world class but he would have offered something different upfront, a new 'dimension' as AVB would say.

I don't care anymore if Lukaku leaves. But if he is leaving then we must buy a good second choice striker. Drogba and Torres cannot be considered good enough backups. Should have bought Mandzukic. Who else is possible?

Remy would be a good shout.

Just visited the sturridge thread. DEJA-VU!!! probably worse as lukaku WILL be bought by city/united. A direct title competitor in coming years. Atleast with sturridge we can be sure that he won't challenge for the title for the coming future.

Lukaku is staying, 10 minutes conversation with Drogba and he will stay, he knows that he will get more chance because he will be our second striker + Drogba is going to be his mentor

Selling a player for 30m that never scored a single goal in official matches for Chelsea, is an amazing deal for me.

Drogba still is a very good player, and at least a decent "squad player".

But not to me, because he has potentional to be next Drogba. And we don´t need money so much.

To start season with Costa, Torres and Drogba is suicide :rant:

All I ask is one good season, say the right things, then he can get his wish granted and sold next summer. He has the mindset of being the main man but sorry, Diego is the alpha who's going to be a nightmare for opponents this season.

With psg ready to sell cavani, if we sell him for 30mil £, I expect us to buy cavani

How does that work?

If we can sell Lukaku AND Torres then a deal with PSG might happen, especially if they also want Cech.

If we just sell Lukaku then we have Costa, Drogba and Torres still.