Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Let me preface this by saying I want Lukaku at the club next term.

For me the striker position is more about situational play and form than it is about 1st choice, 2nd choice. You fight for your position to get the starters jersey and the competition can also be good for your mental development. If we sign Costa and Mandzukic its less about 1st choice, 2nd choice and more about who fits the type of game we need to play that particular week. For the sake of argument I think the reason some here are contesting giving Lukaku a chance next year mainly because they don't feel he's ready to be the go to guy on a top 5 club in the world. He's being groomed to be a loan striker at a very high level, he's also very, very young so the need to rush him into the side to see what he can do is not so great(IF we decide to buy, no need to pressure him to be the guy unless we don't buy). Nobody wants to stunt his development by having him here to sit on the bench for weeks at a time, and that's the thing many don't understand, he is still developing not the finished article yet.

As far as McEachran and Kakuta are concerned they showed promise but weren't ready to challenge at the high level of expectation Chelsea have. They went on loan and further regressed. You really think that after the ordeal with Gael that Chelsea didn't want to get him into the 23 man roster? He went to Bolton and shit the bed, back to France and shit the bed now he's at Vitesse and you guested it... shitting the bed. Chelsea is about winning trophies which is different to any other team in the Prem really. The fans want to win, the owner wants to win and the Manager wants to win. Just because someone shows great potential as a youngster doesn't necessarily mean he will grow to be a world beater on a top 5 club in the world, perhaps our expectations are too high? Football isn't a conveyor belt where you pump out quality if you treat it in the right way, there are so many different factors that come into play.

In Lukaku's case I don't think he's matured enough to challenge for the regular start for this Chelsea team, he still has things he needs to work on before that can occur. I want him back because I feel his passion and desire to want to be the best will help further his progression. Working with Jose and understudying possibly Costa and Mandzukic (who is consider in form strikers) will push him to get to the next level in his evolution. He wasn't challenged at West Brom and neither was he challenged mentally at Everton, he knew he was the best there and basically failed to develop mentally in both instances. Sure he scored goals and outscored Chelsea's frontline players(not really that hard) but his on-field mentality hasn't been tested to the fullest. We want to win Champions league and the Prem, Lukaku has been just enjoying his football with no pressure added to him.

I would have him back to fight for a spot, give him the odd Prem start, a few cup games and maybe a few cameos in the CL. If he shows the desire and most importantly the skill to excel in these situations, with two VERY accomplished strikers breathing down his neck then we know we have a striker capable of playing for a top 5 squad.

Bang on.

Who knows that Lukaku wouldn't have forced his way in? He got more minutes than Azpi in those first 4 games and he turned out to be one of the key players this season.

The reality is, Mou didn't trust Ba, and quite evidently lost his patience with Torres by february, Romelu would have probably been sharing minutes with Eto'o for all off the 2nd half to the season.
If he stayed and fought for his place, his superior quality over Ba and especially Nando would have shined through.

Who knows that Lukaku wouldn't have forced his way in? He got more minutes than Azpi in those first 4 games and he turned out to be one of the key players this season.

The reality is, Mou didn't trust Ba, and quite evidently lost his patience with Torres by february, Romelu would have probably been sharing minutes with Eto'o for all off the 2nd half to the season.
If he stayed and fought for his place, his superior quality over Ba and especially Nando would have shined through.

so who should carry the responsibility for the mistake ,, lukaku or Mourinho ???

only place to be used "to be" :D a good poster, but since Mourinho returned he waste his time with disjointed posts defending every controversial (clumsy) decision Mourinho makes.

Lets put the facts right:

*Second game of the season, against Aston Villa, Stamford Bridge. Torres was injured, but Ba was the one who started. I think everyone here were surprised to see Ba starting and not Lukaku.

*Third game of the season, away game against United, Schurle starts as CF, Torres was used in the second half, and Lukaku was sitting on the bench the whole match, the same Lukaku that scored a hat-trick against the same United months earlier.

After that, he decided to leave, and for me thats comprehensible, because it was clear for everyone that Lukaku wasn't Mourinho's first or even second choice (choosing Ba to start Villa game was an insult), and with Mourinho saying the team would buy another CF, his chances here were getting really small.

Right now its easy for Mourinho to say it was Lukaku who decided to leave, but every ambitious player in the world in his situation would do the same.

The first part of your post is inciting a reaction from a member, and if memory serves me right you have him on ignore or vice versa, so why bother with the direct pop at him? It's a one way ticket to derailing a thread which you are culpable of. You know he will come back with a response and it's not what we want.

You are walking a fine line right now after what I spoke to you about the other day in another thread. The rest of your post is relevant to the thread, now carry on from there please.

Both should have probably handled the situation a bit better.

Can't agree Lukaku is young and inexperienced ,, Jose should have known better and dealt with it much better ..

Lukaku 5%to blame Jose 95% ,,, earlier I said 10% to 90% but on reflection that was hard on the boy

only place to be used "to be" :D a good poster, but since Mourinho returned he waste his time with disjointed posts defending every controversial (clumsy) decision Mourinho makes.

Lets put the facts right:

*Second game of the season, against Aston Villa, Stamford Bridge. Torres was injured, but Ba was the one who started. I think everyone here were surprised to see Ba starting and not Lukaku.

*Third game of the season, away game against United, Schurle starts as CF, Torres was used in the second half, and Lukaku was sitting on the bench the whole match, the same Lukaku that scored a hat-trick against the same United months earlier.

After that, he decided to leave, and for me thats comprehensible, because it was clear for everyone that Lukaku wasn't Mourinho's first or even second choice (choosing Ba to start Villa game was an insult), and with Mourinho saying the team would buy another CF, his chances here were getting really small.

Right now its easy for Mourinho to say it was Lukaku who decided to leave, but every ambitious player in the world in his situation would do the same.

Lets not ignore the fact that even though he didn't start, each striker was given the same amount of time on the pitch to prove their worth. Lukaku was never going to be our first choice striker and rightfully so he was twenty no need to put that kind of pressure on him.

I still envision him as a guy that can be a super sub for Chelsea until he's ready to take the mantle. I would recall him and still only give him the odd start, SLOWLY integrate him into the first team.

I think the missed penalty against Bayern Munich made him go out on a loan deal.. I mean it was hard for him and people lost faith before the league begun. On the other hand, why oh why was KDB not given any chances? Maybe this loan was the best choice for Romelu...

I think the missed penalty against Bayern Munich made him go out on a loan deal.. I mean it was hard for him and people lost faith before the league begun. On the other hand, why oh why was KDB not given any chances? Maybe this loan was the best choice for Romelu...

The KDB case shows I think that Jose has fixed ideas on his type of player and Kevin didnt match that as with Mata . It is a pity as when I had seen KDB

I was struck by his crossing ability and his delivery of free kicks .. I hope he has a great future pity it wont be with us

The KDB case shows I think that Jose has fixed ideas on his type of player and Kevin didnt match that as with Mata .

... Or maybe he's just in a better position to take a call seeing as he works with them 6 days a week?

The KDB case shows I think that Jose has fixed ideas on his type of player and Kevin didnt match that as with Mata . It is a pity as when I had seen KDB

I was struck by his crossing ability and his delivery of free kicks .. I hope he has a great future pity it wont be with us

KDB started the first game last season and he played against United after that. His attitude in training was the reason he was dropped.

Would rather see Lukaku then Torres next season.

KDB started the first game last season and he played against United after that. His attitude in training was the reason he was dropped.

Would rather see Lukaku then Torres next season.

I don't get to Cobham often .. perhaps you and Max do

Weak mentality, if that is the case. Hopefully he has improved on that matter.

Boy was that a poor penalty, one of the worst I've ever seen from a Chelsea player.

Boy was that a poor penalty, one of the worst I've ever seen from a Chelsea player.

Who cares about that penalty? It was just a UEFA super cup match.. Players like Roberto Baggio, Trezeguet, Shevchenko, Cristiano Ronaldo or Schweinsteiger missed penalties in way more important matches, it doesn't make them worse player or weak.

Who cares about that penalty? It was just a UEFA super cup match.. Players like Roberto Baggio, Trezeguet, Shevchenko, Cristiano Ronaldo or Schweinsteiger missed penalties in way more important matches, it doesn't make them worse player or weak.

Are you trying to compare Lukaku with these players? You missed my point. I said if that penalty was the reason he lost faith and asked to be loaned out then yes, he was weak at that moment. But he's still young and there is more than enough time to build that kind of character. Problem is: you can't built it playing for Everton (no disrespect), only by playing on the biggest stages for the strongest clubs.