Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Are you kidding? the kid was doing great, he was involved in nearly every chance, i'll give you an exemple (nicked from bbc).

72:56 Attempt blocked. Romelu Lukaku (Belgium) header from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Sébastien Pocognoli with a cross.
63:40 Goal scored Goal! Goal! Belgium 1, Wales 0. Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium) right footed shot from the right side of the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Romelu Lukaku

62:48 Attempt saved. Eden Hazard (Belgium) right footed shot from the centre of the box is saved in the centre of the goal. Assisted by Romelu Lukaku

53:08 Attempt missed. Thomas Vermaelen (Belgium) left footed shot from the left side of the box misses to the right. Assisted by Romelu Lukaku

50:54 Attempt missed. Romelu Lukaku (Belgium) right footed shot from the right side of the box is high and wide to the right. Assisted by Toby Alderweireld.

43:28 Attempt blocked. Romelu Lukaku (Belgium) left footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked

39:40 Attempt missed. Romelu Lukaku (Belgium) header from the centre of the box is close, but misses to the right. Assisted by Kevin Mirallas with a cross.

38:06 Attempt missed. Romelu Lukaku (Belgium) left footed shot from a difficult angle on the left misses to the left.

18:26 Attempt saved. Romelu Lukaku (Belgium) right footed shot from the right side of the box is saved in the bottom right corner. Assisted by Kevin Mirallas.

this is wat he's doing, he creates chances. you can be sure he looks clumsy at certain (more than one tbh) moments, but he ALWAYS creates chances, even against defending teams. This is Lukaku Accept it.

This was my first post but I follow you guys for years, great forum!!

So, Belgium is losing 0x1 against Neverland, it's 80' so not much time left... you gotta pick a striker (can't say both - not how the game works:)) between Benteke and Lukaku, who would you pick? Note that the great side of Neverland is defending with 11 men behind the ball.

I agree he's a threat and he weighs on the defense, and he will score more than our other strikers even at this stage of his development, but all of this is not enough for a world class team. If he should be first striker for Chelsea, he should be compared to the first striker of teams like Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid and so on. I am a believer that he one day will be in the same league, considering what he has already shown at the age of 20, but I also believe that he's technically not yet at the level to lead the line of a team with our ambitions.

I agree he's a threat and he weighs on the defense, and he will score more than our other strikers even at this stage of his development, but all of this is not enough for a world class team. If he should be first striker for Chelsea, he should be compared to the first striker of teams like Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid and so on. I am a believer that he one day will be in the same league, considering what he has already shown at the age of 20, but I also believe that he's technically not yet at the level to lead the line of a team with our ambitions.

First of al I agree he will be (much) better, But when you see him like this he will never be ready, he has other qualitys that make him a same level word class striker.

First of al I agree he will be (much) better, But when you see him like this he will never be ready, he has other qualitys that make him a same level word class striker.

Well, it's a bit complicated: he is ready now for a "catenaccio" type of playing style, which could perhaps be with a top class team.

But I don't think he is ready to play in a team that plays dominant, possession-based football. Although I hope that one day soon, he will.

So he'd score more goals than our other strikers, but isn't good enough for a world-class team?

Firstly, we aren't a world-class team. We're a team in a building phase so why he couldn't be part of that I don't know. If that is the case, why couldn't he grow around us? Why couldn't he train everyday under some of the best coaches in football and alongside some of the best players around?

If you want to compare him to those teams then why don't you? Benzema has 2 goals in 8 games. Mandzukic has 4 goals in 8 games. Lukaku has 4 goals in 5 games.

So, after a really good game against Croatia and people going "ARE YOU WATCHING JOSE", he proved Mourinho right yesterday against Wales.

As a strong, fast, clinical striker for counter football, he is already top notch. The Croatia game (they needed to win) was perfect for him.

Against teams that shut up shop, contrastingly, he is rather useless. Technically just not good enough.

So... it confirmed what has been said by most: huge potential, some strong qualities already, but not good enough for a dominant style team as of yet.

Well, that's pretty short sighted.

While he's better in a team built for the counter, he was still very active against Wales. Multiple chances, made the decisive pass leading to Kevin's goal and most important of all: he's an absolute burden on any defense. He might not score every match but he's always a threat.

Btw, don't forget the fact that Belgium was already qualified, pressure was gone and several key players started on the bench. Judge him on matches where he has to make the difference under pressure.

I dont understand that people continue to doubt about this guy. I read that he s not talented enough cause he can t dribble like hazard or torres. Or that he s first touch is not good enough. People who say that don t get the point. Talent for a forward is about consistently scoring goals and this guy is doing just that.

The facts back this up.

2009-2010

Topscorer with 15 goals in the belgian league at the age of 16! ! ! ! (does anybody know someone else?)

2010-2011

scores 16 goals at the age of 17 in his confirmation year. (always difficult cause defenders are targetting him way more)

2011-2012

scores 2 in 2 games for anderlecht and then lost a year thanks to the first Portuguese coach that doesn t give him a proper chance

2012-2013

scores 17 for WBA despite the fact that this f.ck..g steve clark is always putting him on the bench

2013-2014

Despite a decent preparation another Portuguese coach suddenly lost his faith in him and he almost lost a year again. Scores 4 in 2.5 games and is on his way to 20 goals

I think the guy is already a beast and should have had a proper chance in our team. He always confirms that he s lethal in front of a goal. Too bad that these Portuguese coaches didn t dare to put a young newcomer in the team despite clear facts.

Regarding Lukaku, I just dismiss it when people bring up his goalscoring stats simply because everyone knows the kid can score goals already. That's not the reason he's gone out on loan. He's gone out on loan to become a more complete footballer, to improve his back-to-goal play, his link up game with players etc.

That's why it really doesn't phase me when people try to bring up his goalscoring record, or the fact that he's outscored our forwards.

Regarding Lukaku, I just dismiss it when people bring up his goalscoring stats simply because everyone knows the kid can score goals already. That's not the reason he's gone out on loan. He's gone out on loan to become a more complete footballer, to improve his back-to-goal play, his link up game with players etc.

That's why it really doesn't phase me when people try to bring up his goalscoring record, or the fact that he's outscored our forwards.

He's out on loan because the board has fucked up.

He's gone out on loan to become a more complete footballer, to improve his back-to-goal play, his link up game with players etc.

Can't our coaches coach that?

Or are you suggesting that he'd get more games at Everton? Won't Martinez only continue to select him if he's scoring goals?? Is that a different criteria to the one Jose selects strikers on?

Can't our coaches coach that?

Or are you suggesting that he'd get more games at Everton? Won't Martinez only continue to select him if he's scoring goals?? Is that a different criteria to the one Jose selects strikers on?

All about games. If he's still here, Eto'o and Torres will play more than him. He will play sporadically, more times than none off the bench.

At Everton he really has no competition - Jelavic has been ridiculous for months, and Kone misses more than he scores - and also not the same kind of pressure to perform.