Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/jose-mourinho-risking-short-term-pain-2369404

Martin Lipton on the Lukaku loan and strikers situation..

even though Mirror and even though martin Lipton is a douche, the article is a decent read.

It's easy to say throw them all in because of their potential and eventually they will win us trophies, but look at what happened Arsenal, it doesn't work like that.

Because that isn't what happened at Arsenal. Not even close.

As for Lukaku the argument in favour of the loan seems to be based on two things.

1. That he'll play regularly at Everton

2. That he wouldn't get game time here.

Now 2 doesn't seem all that good an argument now. He would definitely have got a shot because our other strikers have been under-performing, and if Lukaku were to under-perform at Everton then he may well be dropped too.

Back between 2006-2011, it was widely regarded that Arsenal had this great young team and eventually the eggs would hatch.

Were in 2013 now, and we are still waiting.

Arsenal's problem was that they underinvested and let their best players leave, something we've not done.

Arsenal's problem was that they underinvested and let their best players leave, something we've not done.

That's a fair point, but at the same time if we went a while without winning stuff the the likes of Hazard would surely get itchy feet.

Us as fans can have all the patience in the world because we will still be around if or when our patience get's rewarded, but players have short career's and need to grab what they can.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/jose-mourinho-risking-short-term-pain-2369404

Martin Lipton on the Lukaku loan and strikers situation..

Well that was surprisingly sensible and level-headed. What the hell has gotten into Martin Lipton?! :blink:

Because that isn't what happened at Arsenal. Not even close.

As for Lukaku the argument in favour of the loan seems to be based on two things.

1. That he'll play regularly at Everton

2. That he wouldn't get game time here.

Now 2 doesn't seem all that good an argument now. He would definitely have got a shot because our other strikers have been under-performing, and if Lukaku were to under-perform at Everton then he may well be dropped too.

Yes, eventually, he would've got a shot but who's to say he would've replicated the form he's shown at Everton? Lukaku has gone there and Martinez has basically said "Romelu, you're my guy", hence the 'last piece of the puzzle' comment from him. As we can all see, that type of faith in one so young does wonders for his confidence. He's basically been given free reign to go and express himself at the club; similar to Barkley.

Now compare that to him waiting and biding his time here being 3rd/4th choice striker or whatever; knowing that if he performs bad even once, he's out of the team. As Mourinho said, performing here and at Everton are two different things altogether. We know how much pressure is here and looking at Lukaku in the Super Cup no one can say for absolute certainty he's ready for the pressure on the big stages (although his Euro qualifiers game was brilliant).

Yes, people can also go on about developing him here and having him fight his way to first choice striker etc. etc. But these people really need to get their heads out of the clouds. Having Lukaku deployed as 1st striker above Torres/Eto'o is only a fantasy we could dream about, it wouldn't actually happen. I personally feel that most of the deadweight in the striking department needs to be moved on (mainly Torres) before Romelu has a real chance at becoming no. 1.

So for the time being I'd rather have him banging in the goals at Everton while Torres runs down another year in his contract instead of risking him being benched for another season...

Yes, eventually, he would've got a shot but who's to say he would've replicated the form he's shown at Everton? Lukaku has gone there and Martinez has basically said "Romelu, you're my guy", hence the 'last piece of the puzzle' comment from him. As we can all see, that type of faith in one so young does wonders for his confidence. He's basically been given free reign to go and express himself at the club; similar to Barkley.

Now compare that to him waiting and biding his time here being 3rd/4th choice striker or whatever; knowing that if he performs bad even once, he's out of the team. As Mourinho said, performing here and at Everton are two different things altogether. We know how much pressure is here and looking at Lukaku in the Super Cup no one can say for absolute certainty he's ready for the pressure on the big stages (although his Euro qualifiers game was brilliant).

Yes, people can also go on about developing him here and having him fight his way to first choice striker etc. etc. But these people really need to get their heads out of the clouds. Having Lukaku deployed as 1st striker above Torres/Eto'o is only a fantasy we could dream about, it wouldn't actually happen. I personally feel that most of the deadweight in the striking department needs to be moved on (mainly Torres) before Romelu has a real chance at becoming no. 1.

So for the time being I'd rather have him banging in the goals at Everton while Torres runs down another year in his contract instead of risking him being benched for another season...

Isn't he under pressure playing for Belgium?

I have faith in this guy. I like his character and you can't use the argument that the pressure at Chelsea is too great for him without then accepting that it will still be great in a year's time. You either step up when the pressure is on or you shirk away and crumble - if you're telling me that he doesn't have the character to survive now then I you're living in a dreamland if you think he'll have it in a year's time.

I've heard this man speak, I've seen the dedication that he puts into his job and I've watched him grow as a footballer through over 150 first-team appearances and earn over 20 international caps. My opinion is that right now this guy could do a job for us but there's something in this club that simply isn't prepared to take that step and I don't think it's good for us. The fact that some supporters seem willing to defend it isn't going to help us in the long-term either.

But at least he'll be back next season. There's always the next season.....

Like @hjperdeath, said, i think the loan decision had a lot to do with the relative youth off our attacking mid's, an angle that no one has really covered.

If we had our 09/10 squad now (at the age they were then too) Lukaku would have stayed, rotated/backed up Drogba and learned a lot, but what will he learn from players who are in the learning process as-well? Experience is a under rated term in football, i think it was one of the reason's Willian was brought, because before then we were a Mata injury away to relying on 22 year old's in our key position.

Like @hjperdeath, said, i think the loan decision had a lot to do with the relative youth off our attacking mid's, an angle that no one has really covered.

If we had our 09/10 squad now (at the age they were then too) Lukaku would have stayed, rotated/backed up Drogba and learned a lot, but what will he learn from players who are in the learning process as-well? Experience is a under rated term in football, i think it was one of the reason's Willian was brought, because before then we were a Mata injury away to relying on 22 year old's in our key position.

So he goes to Everton whose key playmaker this season has been that wise old head....Ross Barkley???

There's also Deulofeu and James McCarthy playing first-team roles, all selected by Martinez who (with the greatest respect) isn't exactly at Jose Mourinho's level. I suppose there's always Leon Osman and Kevin Mirallas around to offer words of wisdom to Lukaku.

That last point is interesting, because that 22 year old is Oscar...a man who will carry much of the weight of Brazil's hopes in the next world cup which just happens to be on home soil. Is there a person with more pressure on him in world football in the next 12 months? Messi maybe?

So he goes to Everton whose key playmaker this season has been that wise old head....Ross Barkley???

There's also Deulofeu and James McCarthy playing first-team roles, all selected by Martinez who (with the greatest respect) isn't exactly at Jose Mourinho's level. I suppose there's always Leon Osman and Kevin Mirallas around to offer words of wisdom to Lukaku.

That last point is interesting, because that 22 year old is Oscar...a man who will carry much of the weight of Brazil's hopes in the next world cup which just happens to be on home soil. Is there a person with more pressure on him in world football in the next 12 months? Messi maybe?

There often in with Mirallas, Piennar and sometimes Naismith, experienced players who have been around the block, especially the latter two. Unless Mata and Willian started every single match, he wouldn't get similar numbers here in terms of experience playing close to him

I think Old Trafford was a good example when our front 4 were all 22, while all are talented to say they showed they still have a bit to learn was an understatement.

I think Brazil will find it tough in the world cup, because their hopes are mainly on Oscar and Neymar, two incredibly young but talented shoulders, i would have fancied their chances more if they hosted it in 2006 when they had Dinho and Kaka in their pomp.

I think the next WC is Argentina's personally,Messi will light up the world cup and truly put his name on the wall of greatness in Brazil, if their's ever something written in the stars, it's that.