Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

But then why has it been so successful in the years 2005-10?

Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba. Both are on the wane sadly and while we don't have a replacement for Lamps, Lukaku is too young to be handed that responsibility.

This season, yes that was the story.

But then why has it been so successful in the years 2005-10?

I don't think the succes of those tactics, not saying we played long ball football during '05-'10, is his issue but the fact that's it horrible to watch. You don't spend huge amounts of money and play that kind of football.

Though, if you could get him for reasonnable price, it could be a good buy. I mean, even if we want to get away from our old style (ie a target man up front) and start to play like Barcelona with little players, it could be good to have a big man to change our formation or playing style when necessary. It's important to have a plan B.

Like what Spain did at the world cup with Llorente. I remember when they were struggling with their traditional playing style, they did play him, that changed the physiognomy of the game...

But for £20m it would be to expensive, and I don't know if he wants to be that kind of player (benched..)

It's an argument that divides fans about how the game should be played but you can ask yourself. Would you rather lump it up, play a physical game... or piss around with the ball outside the penalty box for 10 minutes... (Arsenal)

It ain't pretty people, but it's effective

Though, if you could get him for reasonnable price, it could be a good buy. I mean, even if we want to get away from our old style (ie a target man up front) and start to play like Barcelona with little players, it could be good to have a big man to change our formation or playing style when necessary. It's important to have a plan B.

Like what Spain did at the world cup with Llorente. I remember when they were struggling with their traditional playing style, they did play him, that changed the physiognomy of the game...

But for £20m it would be to expensive, and I don't know if he wants to be that kind of player (benched..)

Not to forget that you don't buy a 18-year old to be a impact player..

Roman is looking to Barcelona, not Arsenal ... and Barca don't piss about with it trying to reach the 100 pass milestone before walking it in. Football's changing,teams have figured out how to play us, so we must show some initiative and alter our playing style. It's important to have skillful, deft, creative ball players and combine it with intelligent off the ball movement and urgency in pressing when out of possession. Though like G_Z said, a plan B is always handy to freshen things up if it isn't going well.

It's an argument that divides fans about how the game should be played but you can ask yourself. Would you rather lump it up, play a physical game... or piss around with the ball outside the penalty box for 10 minutes... (Arsenal)

It kills my love for the game so a big no for me.

Not sure Roman agrees with you though...

We can still do this, we just lack the creativity in the team! when you also ask what was so effective about those styles is that we had creativity, width and depth in our squad. Something we've lacked this year. We're never going to be a Barcelona because of the players we have, you may need to shuffle almost the entire squad...

If this is the plan then it won't happen over night. Like I said teams have figured us out because we lack those things we once had. Once we retain them we can go back to effective, ugly, winning football. Yes it's not pretty but I think we'd struggle big time trying to adapt.

This is why, if we are getting rid of DD then we need someone like Lukaku

I've been bored shitless watching Chelsea play this past season. If it weren't for my love for us, I really wouldn't sit through that. And I really don't want more of the same over the next few years. To each his own, I guess.

You don't have to play like Barcelona, sides like Milan, Udinese, Napoli, Valencia etc. play good football but their style doesn't resemble Barcelona's. The likes of Blackpool, Bolton and West Brom played good football as well this season and if they can do it, everybody can.

And I'm glad Roman wants attacking/attractive football too. But like MM said, to each his own.

I've been bored shitless watching Chelsea play this past season. If it weren't for my love for us, I really wouldn't sit through that. And I really don't want more of the same over the next few years. To each his own, I guess.

this...

In truth Lukaku would be something of a luxury signing. Not a player we NEED for our squad next season. Other positions are more important, 2 wingers, creative midfielder and right back. Would not mind us signing Lukaku but it isn't a signing that we MUST make,.