Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Babayaro was Belgium Player of Year aged 16

He was the Belgian Young Player of the Year. Don't want to be pedantic, but there is a significant difference between the best young player and the best overall player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_professional_football_awards

Ronnie I think was close to top scorer for Brazil at that age (might of been second or third), however, he went on to be number 1 goal scorer for PSV and Barca before the age of 20.

Anyways, now that I think about it, why are we even discussing this? We all know if Torres does stay, its going to be him and Ba as the number 1 forwards. If we sell/cut Torres, Roman will buy another forward to be the number 1 with Ba.

So, hypothetically, Lukaku will be the 3rd forward on the team and how many appearances do you think he will get??? Not that many I would assume...

Look at Benteke. If Lukaku can be our main forward, so can be Benteke, dont you think?

Besides handling the pressure doesnt come with age, but with experience. Neither Lukaku or Benteke have any bg european match experience.

I would love to have Lukaku next year as main forward, but guys be ready to see average season for him. He wont come and bang goals every match. He wont do a 'whoa' moments. He wont score winner vs barca or Real. But he will help the team. He wont be more effective than Torres realy. But next year he will gain experience and get used to play here. A season after, he could be very good, but nothing close to Ibra, Falcao or Rvp. When he will be aged 24 or sth, he will be able to lead the club attack and bang with ease.

Again next year dont expect anything big from him. His potential is big, lets say he is on 70/100 developed, so what he is doing at this age is unbelievable. But he is still very unexperinced. He never realy played regulary for us, neither played in CL regulary.

I might be completely wrong, but as far I know history of our strikers and young strikers in general, this is most possible to happen. That doesnt mean that I dont support him or whatever, but dont expect from this lad to be some goalscorer next year. Because as I see expectations are very high (like he is 10x better than Torres or Ba, that he will score a lot,...) but when he will dissapoint a bit (look at Ba thread), peopl will run at him and blame him etc. He has superb potential, but as player in general, he is just above average. Yp he scored 13 goals, but so did Benteke or Lambert. The good thing about Lukaku is that he is young and can develop in great st.

Another thing is if he fits this team. He is more of counter attacking striker (long ball to him, he needs plenty of space). Sure he could be target man, but to work up to max with Mata and Hazard, he will need to upgrade his passing and first touch massively. Apart from that he already has all for a big guy. But with a team of technical players, he will need to do much more than just score goals from close range, or he could slow our attack down. His techniqe isnt bad (improved from last year), but he will need to imporve it even further.

P.S. Yesterday was exactly one year since joining this forum and I must say that its been a very nice year and I happy to join such comunity that supports my fav club.

Cheers! :)

It has nothing to do with being ready. That's not is what is at question here. I've merely been suggesting that I think Lukaku can and will be a superstar, but I'm concerned because if there is a way of screwing him up it's thrusting him into the spotlight at Chelsea as the main striker next year. Does that mean I think he'll fail in that role? No. It just means there's no point in rushing him when he can have a second year at WBA get more time, continue to improve, and then be ready for moving into the starting role at 21.

Think about that for a second someone of you want to rely on a 20 year old striker. That really begs the question as to what in the hell is the board doing. There should be a main striker in his mid twenties to handle the top flight duties and easing Lukaku into the spotlight at 21-23 years of age. Clearly Torres is rubbish, but it means Chelsea needs a #1 guy for the immediate future and then have Lukaku as the successor.

Look at Benteke. If Lukaku can be our main forward, so can be Benteke, dont you think?

Besides handling the pressure doesnt come with age, but with experience.

I disagree. Handling pressure is about character and this guy seems to have that in spades. I can name guys in different sports who stepped up when they were thrown into high pressure situations, and I can name guys who had tons of experience but none of the intangibles that you need to succeed.

It has nothing to do with being ready. That's not is what is at question here. I've merely been suggesting that I think Lukaku can and will be a superstar, but I'm concerned because if there is a way of screwing him up it's thrusting him into the spotlight at Chelsea as the main striker next year. Does that mean I think he'll fail in that role? No. It just means there's no point in rushing him when he can have a second year at WBA get more time, continue to improve, and then be ready for moving into the starting role at 21.

So another year at West Brom prepares him for a starting role at Chelsea Football Club?

If people are saying he should spend another year on loan to get ready for Chelsea, then WHY IN FUCK ARE THEY SUGGESTING WEST BROM? Seriously? What more can he learn at West Bromwich Albion?

This guy loves this club - there is not a moment in the next decade when he won't be under pressure at this club. That's because he's a professional footballer. He didn't win a competition, he's not a YTS kid, it's not 'take your son to work day'. He's a man who is paid money to play football and he appears to be pretty good at it. At some point you've got to take the plunge with him and I don't see what else he can learn at West Brom.

I disagree. Handling pressure is about character and this guy seems to have that in spades. I can name guys in different sports who stepped up when they were thrown into high pressure situations, and I can name guys who had tons of experience but none of the intangibles that you need to succeed.

So another year at West Brom prepares him for a starting role at Chelsea Football Club?

If people are saying he should spend another year on loan to get ready for Chelsea, then WHY IN FUCK ARE THEY SUGGESTING WEST BROM? Seriously? What more can he learn at West Bromwich Albion?

This guy loves this club - there is not a moment in the next decade when he won't be under pressure at this club. That's because he's a professional footballer. He didn't win a competition, he's not a YTS kid, it's not 'take your son to work day'. He's a man who is paid money to play football and he appears to be pretty good at it. At some point you've got to take the plunge with him and I don't see what else he can learn at West Brom.

Exactly. We gotta take the plunge, he'll have his ups and downs but at the end of the day, he's a massive talent.

I just hope that our next manager doesn't screw up his development...

my question is how can we justify taking a gamble and players "unproven in PL" like hazard and oscar and not take the same with lukaku who in his first true season in the PL has shown he can do more than just a job... granted the two mention are a different breed of player but the idea is the same... I say give him a shot the lad loves chelsea lets show him chelsea loves him back :cfc:

He can learn to play a full 90 on a regular basis and continue to develop his game with a lot less scrutiny at West Brom and with nearly the same cast of characters. Are you suggesting that Chelsea fans are going to be patient with him as he's still learning at age 20 while trying to be the main striker?

As for West Brom they're a top 8 club right now and they may push even higher before the year is through so it's not like they're a side battling relegation.

New coach, huge expectations for Lukaku, and Chelsea, new system what could possibly go wrong ....

He can learn to play a full 90 on a regular basis and continue to develop his game with a lot less scrutiny at West Brom and with nearly the same cast of characters. Are you suggesting that Chelsea fans are going to be patient with him as he's still learning at age 20 while trying to be the main striker?

Yes.

As for West Brom they're a top 8 club right now and they may push even higher before the year is through so it's not like they're a side battling relegation.

They're a mid-table team who play some nice stuff but playing for them isn't close to what it will be like playing at Chelsea.

New coach, huge expectations for Lukaku, and Chelsea, new system what could possibly go wrong ....

Can you tell me a date....no a month in the next 10 years when there won't be huge expectations for him? This is what top level sport is all about. If you don't think he can handle the pressure now having heard him speak and seen the way he conducts himself, then that's fine. But I completely disagree.

This guy seems to have elite level intangibles and he's been playing professional football for about half a decade. I don't think that West Brom will push him like he needs to be pushed and I think he's ready to be part of our first-team squad.

Yes.

They're a mid-table team who play some nice stuff but playing for them isn't close to what it will be like playing at Chelsea.

Can you tell me a date....no a month in the next 10 years when there won't be huge expectations for him? This is what top level sport is all about. If you don't think he can handle the pressure now having heard him speak and seen the way he conducts himself, then that's fine. But I completely disagree.

This guy seems to have elite level intangibles and he's been playing professional football for about half a decade. I don't think that West Brom will push him like he needs to be pushed and I think he's ready to be part of our first-team squad.

There will always be crazy expectations for him. It's not a question of handling the pressure but rather put him in the best possible position to succeed and I think that having him at Chelsea when there is so much yet to be determined for next year seems like an unnecessary risk.

He's been improving dramatically at West Brom so why bring him back unless the coach and system are in place.

I don't disagree about being pushed but he's not starting that many games at WBA so why not spend another year there get more playing time and then come to Chelsea. Gain more confidence by in a settled place with settled team and known quantity at coach.

The main problem as I mentioned before is the fact that Chelsea is in this position in the first place. I'd be much more in favor of bringing him back if there was a top flight striker at Chelsea who could be counted on for a year or two while Lukaku eases into the role of main striker.

He does have his head screwed on straight and has superb values but that doesn't make him immune from having difficulties from pressure inconsistency etc.

Even if he does come back I expect him to do well I just don't like exposing to the one thing (rushing him to main striker) while extremely unlikely that could kill his career.

Besides handling the pressure doesnt come with age, but with experience. Neither Lukaku or Benteke have any bg european match experience.

I would love to have Lukaku next year as main forward, but guys be ready to see average season for him. He wont come and bang goals every match. He wont do a 'whoa' moments. He wont score winner vs barca or Real. But he will help the team. He wont be more effective than Torres realy. But next year he will gain experience and get used to play here. A season after, he could be very good, but nothing close to Ibra, Falcao or Rvp. When he will be aged 24 or sth, he will be able to lead the club attack and bang with ease.

Again next year dont expect anything big from him. His potential is big, lets say he is on 70/100 developed, so what he is doing at this age is unbelievable. But he is still very unexperinced. He never realy played regulary for us, neither played in CL regulary.

I might be completely wrong, but as far I know history of our strikers and young strikers in general, this is most possible to happen. That doesnt mean that I dont support him or whatever, but dont expect from this lad to be some goalscorer next year. Because as I see expectations are very high (like he is 10x better than Torres or Ba, that he will score a lot,...) but when he will dissapoint a bit (look at Ba thread), peopl will run at him and blame him etc. He has superb potential, but as player in general, he is just above average. Yp he scored 13 goals, but so did Benteke or Lambert. The good thing about Lukaku is that he is young and can develop in great st.

Another thing is if he fits this team. He is more of counter attacking striker (long ball to him, he needs plenty of space). Sure he could be target man, but to work up to max with Mata and Hazard, he will need to upgrade his passing and first touch massively. Apart from that he already has all for a big guy. But with a team of technical players, he will need to do much more than just score goals from close range, or he could slow our attack down. His techniqe isnt bad (improved from last year), but he will need to imporve it even further.

P.S. Yesterday was exactly one year since joining this forum and I must say that its been a very nice year and I happy to join such comunity that supports my fav club.

Cheers! :)

Lukaku for the smaller games, Ba for the bigger games, Torres for practices