Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Warm evening in Madrid. Chelsea plays round of 16 with Real. Lukaku starts as centre forward. Most important game of the year for Cfc. Is he ready to handle the pressure?

NO. He is not.

Chelsea loses in the end, going out of competition. Decent striker's performance, but unexperienced side could not cope with Ronaldo & co.

But...he would gain important experience and in few years grow into a brillant forward.

---

One million question:

Is Roman ready to wait and trust Lukaku despite no international trophies for few years?

Are YOU ready to wait and trust our youth?

This is the ultimate question if we want this NEW plan with youngsters and attractive football to realy work. Should ask Roman himself, but I lost his phone number, so...

YES. because in a span of 3-4 years we will have the most potent attack in world football. Hazard, mata, oscar, de bruyne, lukaku,moses. but the most important thing is these are players who thrive on link up play, be it between our midfield trio or between the mid and the striker. u cant expect lukaku to have 3 loan spells while scoring 15-20 goals for other epl teams but then coming to chelsea who play a completely different style of football and expect him to adapt within no time. these set of players need the time together and if they get that, i have no doubts that we ll end up being world beaters...

YES. because in a span of 3-4 years we will have the most potent attack in world football. Hazard, mata, oscar, de bruyne, lukaku,moses. but the most important thing is these are players who thrive on link up play, be it between our midfield trio or between the mid and the striker. u cant expect lukaku to have 3 loan spells while scoring 15-20 goals for other epl teams but then coming to chelsea who play a completely different style of football and expect him to adapt within no time. these set of players need the time together and if they get that, i have no doubts that we ll end up being world beaters...

Or we could end up like Arsenal and have our top players leaving every year cause we are not winning!

Dont get my post wrong, my answer would be Yes too :)

Could end up like arsenal, but hell since when Chelsea sells top players? As long as we actualy work on project, players will understand. Arsenal however has no project. They create and sell. We wil create and keep and win. Enough said.

Or we could end up like Arsenal and have our top players leaving every year cause we are not winning!

wrong. arsenal sell players because their board is trying to make it a financial institution. our board (or we can easily say, our ROMAN) will never let any thing of this sort happen ever. the priorities of the board is the main difference here, and there is no way in hell that i can see us going the arsenal way.

plus since when did arsenal have the likes of mata, hazard, oscar, lukaku, moses, kdb, thibaut. all they ever had was fibreglass, a wonder boy in arshavin, and one good season of nasri and persie. we are way better off than arsenal in the talent of our squad..

Dont get my post wrong, my answer would be Yes too :)

Could end up like arsenal, but hell since when Chelsea sells top players? As long as we actualy work on project, players will understand. Arsenal however has no project. They create and sell. We wil create and keep and win. Enough said.

EXACTLY!!!!

wrong. arsenal sell players because their board is trying to make it a financial institution. our board (or we can easily say, our ROMAN) will never let any thing of this sort happen ever. the priorities of the board is the main difference here, and there is no way in hell that i can see us going the arsenal way.

plus since when did arsenal have the likes of mata, hazard, oscar, lukaku, moses, kdb, thibaut. all they ever had was fibreglass, a wonder boy in arshavin, and one good season of nasri and persie. we are way better off than arsenal in the talent of our squad..

Arsenal is probably worse case scenario. However, with FFP, we won't have the upper hand when it comes to throwing millions of euros like its pocket change anymore... So, you won't really know what Roman plan is for the future...

Also, your comment concerning Arsenal departures...LOL. Arsenal probably has the best talent out of any team (EPL) in the past decade.

Arsenal is probably worse case scenario. However, with FFP, we won't have the upper hand when it comes to throwing millions of euros like its pocket change anymore... So, you won't really know what Roman plan is for the future...

Also, your comment concerning Arsenal departures...LOL. Arsenal probably has the best talent out of any team (EPL) in the past decade.

past decade but never at the same exact time as ours, cazorla and podolski dint play when rvp was their. heck even rvp was barely playing (because of injury) when fibreglass was at his peak. arsenal has a come and go policy but at no point did their squad have so much talent as ours does right now. we without a doubt have the hottest properties in world football. iplus y would we need to throw in more millions? we might need to for a player or 2 but which team does not. FFP does not mean end of transfer, it just means we woould now think twice before making a 50 mil pound mistake again which is quite good for us.

also u still doubt what roman's plans for the future is when he just splashed 80 mil in the transfer market to get hazard, oscar, azpi, moses,marin,kdb, ba. thats a little harsh on him.

Huh? Best talent in the last decade?

Also with FFP. We are In a great situation. We have a great young squad already. That gives us 3 things:

1. Quality players

2. Players who can be here a long time.

3. Resale value

Mata is already considered the leader of our attack and the "wise head" and he is only 24... Hazard is showing signs of greatness and he is only 22. Lukaku 19. Oscar 21. KDB 21. Chalobah 18. Azpi 23. Courtois 20.

That's 8 of some of the highest rated young talent under 24... All of whom could potentially play on the same team, and could be here for a long time.

Because of that we don't need to break the bank every single transfer window.

Hopefully, but a big reason why players go to Chelsea is due to high wages. Also, ideally, it be great if Roman didn't go crazy in the transfer market, but everyone knows other teams sell their.players high when it comes to dealing with Chelsea.

i agree with that wewe have a good young setup going on, however, how many will succeed at Chelsea realistically.

Yup, Lukaku has definitely done more than enough to earn his chance in the squad next season especially with the goalscoring rate of our strikers. His age should not be a problem as the really talented young players like Romelu don't need that many chances to show their ability. That was the case this year with him in West Brom as he became the live wire of their attack and the center of almost anything dangerous they do in front of goal. Yes, there is a lot of pressure when you play in a top team and there is even extra pressure when you are a Chelsea striker, but I think he'll deal with that well.

Can anyone actually give me a qualifiable argument on why Lukaku won't be able to handle the pressure because of his age? Age does NOT define maturity in football. You can't write Lukaku off based on conditional, superficial statements that haven't even happened before.

I agree with every comment regarding the notion of him 'not being ready' being a crap statement to make with such conviction.

Lukaku has more senior appearances at club level than some players 5 years older have!

He has 19 Senior National Team caps - That's more than Luiz, Oscar, Moses, Marin, Azpi & Ba have for their countries. It's also only 2 short of what Mata has for Spain. Between Anderlecht and West Brom, he's been knocking in goals at just under 1 goal a game - (around 100 league appearances for both teams combined with just 4 short of 50 goals.) Impressive for a nineteen year old, no?

At West Brom, he currently averages exactly 1 goal every 2 games if you look at stats - but a closer look reveals that he scores on just about every start he gets for the team (where-as he rarely scores coming off the bench.)

Maybe that is what should be commented on regarding his mental more than anything - his inability (it would seem) to come in and change a game. It seems he has to grow into the games and takes typically 25-30mins before starting to boss things.

At the age of 16 I believe he was the top scorer in the Belgium league. "It's just the Belgium league" you may say - but name one other league anywhere in the world where a 16 year old has been the top scorer. (Obscure leagues such as Sardinia or Chile don't count!!!)

Outside of football, he holds himself well in interviews both before/after games and on proper TV shows back in Belgium. He's incredibly humble despite clearly being aware that despite only making 8 league appearances for Chelsea, he's actually the club's best striker!

People develop at different rates. Some are early bloomers, some are late. There isn't some magical switch which just turns on/off depending on your age though. You don't suddenly wake up 'ready' one day. It's all about what you put into it.

Lukaku was a regular first-teamer at 16 years of age. Most players in the Premier League are lucky to be regular first teamers at 22. That's 6 years difference. Which in theory, if we were to follow the original idea that a player's age dictates his readiness to play for a big team - would mean that he's basically playing as a 25 year old given the fact he's currently 19 yet had all those extra years playing as a 1st-teamer.