Tomáš Kalas

James

This

Actually as defenders they are the complete opposite of each other

I think Kalas simply should play RB, as i understand Wallace is loaned out anyway. I want to see him against bigger and better oppositions first to judge him as a defender. Most people would not give a shit what an attacker does when you are 8 goals up. Communication and experience will come, but his size worries me. He is sooo small, he will not stand a chance against most EPL strikers physically.

So small? He's around 6 ft 2, and is quite filled out for his frame. No idea what you're on about. Kalas is a great athlete, has size and pace to match.

the goal itself was not the problem, the way in which the striker went past him is the cos of concern.

also i think both the goals we conceded were his mistakes. the first goal (the one from the set-piece in the 2nd match) would have been cleared by any of cahill, JT, DL or iva.

a couple of poor back-passes in the first match to cech.

couple of horrible passes in the last match,

the way he lost a long ball to an indonesian striker when he jumped to early was bad too.

so as i see it, so many mistakes when we were not even tested is a sign to worry.

I honestly think some of these supposed mistakes have been exaggerrated or in some cases not even happened (opinions though I guess). The only time his communication skills were lacking was in that first game. His passing has been nothing special like Luiz standard, but then nothing awful, just keeps it simple. The Indonesian striker who created the own goal had also given Cahill and Wallace a few issues during the game too, not just Kalas. Really don't think there's anything to worry about yet

He's a young kid with a lot of potential and he's going to make mistakes. That's what young players do. What we do is support them, understand that and don't immediately question them and ask for them to be loaned out.

Personally I'm hoping the club looks to loan out some of the supporters this year. Coming into a club like Chelsea who are looking to develop youngsters is a big step up and some time at a smaller club where the blooding of youngsters is a necessity would help develop their skills when it comes to understanding that youngsters take time to settle in new teams, new systems and new environments.

Six months at somewhere like Crewe would be great and then they can come back in for the title run-in when we need them.

He's a young kid with a lot of potential and he's going to make mistakes. That's what young players do. What we do is support them, understand that and don't immediately question them and ask for them to be loaned out.

Personally I'm hoping the club looks to loan out some of the supporters this year. Coming into a club like Chelsea who are looking to develop youngsters is a big step up and some time at a smaller club where the blooding of youngsters is a necessity would help develop their skills when it comes to understanding that youngsters take time to settle in new teams, new systems and new environments.

Six months at somewhere like Crewe would be great and then they can come back in for the title run-in when we need them.

Agree with everything you said but he's far above Crewe's level. If we were to send him out on loan he'd go to a decent PL team. He was one of Vitesse's best players last season and the season before.

Agree with everything you said but he's far above Crewe's level. If we were to send him out on loan he'd go to a decent PL team. He was one of Vitesse's best players last season and the season before.

I don't think he'd get regular time on a decent PL team yet. I'd rather he go to a Championship side and get regular playing time than to languish on some team's bench. I don't think there's any particular rush to bring any of our youngsters into our squad and a loan to a side where he doesn't get playing time can be extremely damaging to a players' development. (Look at Kakuta or McEachran for examples of that).

I don't think he'd get regular time on a decent PL team yet. I'd rather he go to a Championship side and get regular playing time than to languish on some team's bench. I don't think there's any particular rush to bring any of our youngsters into our squad and a loan to a side where he doesn't get playing time can be extremely damaging to a players' development. (Look at Kakuta or McEachran for examples of that).

He's ahead of Kakuta and McEachran in his development though. He's been one of the better defenders in the Eredivisie for two years now, a Championship loan would be a step down. He's definitely good enough to play for a decent Premier League team, trust me. He's already been capped once by his senior national team. Vitesse are a decent Europa League standard team, and he's been one of their better players.

I think you should re-read what 'The only place to be' said mate.........

Give me a break that we should blood in youngsters and live with the mistakes. This is Chelsea, the stakes are a little too high to be gambling 3 points for development of a kid. People want Luiz sold because he made a mistake, people would want the manager and the player out when Kalas makes a mistake. At smaller teams, if young CBs make mistakes resulting in goals, you may finish 10th instead of 8th but get a chance to develop him into a beast next season. That's fine. You do that at Chelsea, you drop from 1st to 2nd, that's the stupidest thing I've heard ever. Yeah, let's run Chelsea like Crewe is ran.

I don't mind rushing a striker or mids, because they have a lot of help and others around them can pick up the slack, but a weak CB that doesn't provide a team with confidence is going to have a detrimental mental affect on the entire team. Last year, we gave up 2-0 leads for that very reason. The confidence within the team was shot, every player was expecting we would concede and that the defence isn't good enough. Playing 20 year olds who make mistakes isn't going to help, neither him nor us.

Imo, CBs should never be rushed. Considering the stakes, you're putting so much pressure on them because they know one mistake will result in a goal. That's a little too much pressure for a 20 year old kid.

Not to mention the fact that because off our not great record recently people seem to get desperate for any Tom, Dick and Harry to come from the academy, some genuinely slagg off the club for not giving Micheal Mancienne and Scott Sinclair chances, despite both being painfully average.

Not to mention the fact that because off our not great record recently people seem to get desperate for any Tom, Dick and Harry to come from the academy, some genuinely slagg off the club for not giving Micheal Mancienne and Scott Sinclair chances, despite both being painfully average.

That's true as well. But, I think Kalas is a great prospect and def has the potential to play for us, I just don't get what the rush is. I fear he'll have a season like Lukaku's first season where he'll train with the squad but barely get any playing time.

Let's see how he does in the US tour and if he can eradicate the mistakes and put in decent performances then we can truly trust him as the 4th choice CB and keep him around because then he'll get enough time, but if he's going to be called the 4th choice CB but actually be behind even Ivanovic then he'll probably never get any games. In that case, we should loan him out.