Tomáš Kalas

James

Who do you think will Mourinho pick as 4th choice CB - Omeruo or Zouma?

Personally i would pick Kenny O..but think Jose will favour Zouma because he was signed on his watch. For it not to be him i expect Kenny would have to be the star player for Nigeria in them getting to the semi's in the World cup and/or a place on the all World cup team, as one of the best CB's in the tournament.

I can see the huge potential in Zouma but as they stand today,i'm not a great fan of his yet.

What's suprising for me is not him being loaned out but the club destination being Cologne, who have just recently been promoted. I think he could get more experience and is probably capable of doing well in a mid table Bundesliga or PL-club instead.

Who do you think will Mourinho pick as 4th choice CB - Omeruo or Zouma?

None.

I've said it before - there's pressure on Jose this season and he'll go for experience this time.

I have a feeling he will sign Mangala (not that experienced, but a proven defender) after the World Cup and send Zouma and Omeruo on loan.

Azpilicueta - Cahill - Mangala - Filipe Luis with Ivanovic (RB, CB), Terry (CB) and Cole/Bertrand/van Aanholt/player X (LB) on the bench.

Typical Chelsea always pushing youngstars away without giving them a proper chance, this is the problem of havin a manager like Mourinho who is short term oriented

Sends 21 year old on loan and will probably promote a 20 or 19 year old = short-term oriented.

:clap::clap:

Why do people have to be so damn negative all the time?

If we'd released Terry to make room for the likes of Kalas and Zouma, the meltdown would have been unimaginable but other than that I fail to see what the club should be doing differently to make enough room for Kalas to have a big enough role so his development won't stall and wasting another season in the stands wouldn't do Tomas any good. Yet loaning him out is somehow still the wrong decision? At least now he will go and play regular first team football at a high level and hopefully return in a year or two when JT is very close to retirement and Ivanovic also well into his 30s.

Within a couple of years there will definitely be a place or two up for grabs in the CB department and if these young players make the most of their loan spells I can honestly see them making it. The situation is unlike never before because earlier the youngsters have had to compete with players in their prime and that's not an easy task, especially with managerial instability, but a year or two from now we would ideally still have Mourinho in charge and there would be a smooth transition between generations if the players are good enough. I would also consider this current crop of young players at the club a much better one than say maybe five years ago, so I consider their chances to be a little higher than those of the previous generations.

Perhaps because we have seen this scenario played out time and again .. WE KEEP saying ,, he will soon be a first team regular ,,, saying that year after year after year

Why do people have to be so damn negative all the time?

If we'd released Terry to make room for the likes of Kalas and Zouma, the meltdown would have been unimaginable but other than that I fail to see what the club should be doing differently to make enough room for Kalas to have a big enough role so his development won't stall and wasting another season in the stands wouldn't do Tomas any good. Yet loaning him out is somehow still the wrong decision? At least now he will go and play regular first team football at a high level and hopefully return in a year or two when JT is very close to retirement and Ivanovic also well into his 30s.

Within a couple of years there will definitely be a place or two up for grabs in the CB department and if these young players make the most of their loan spells I can honestly see them making it. The situation is unlike never before because earlier the youngsters have had to compete with players in their prime and that's not an easy task, especially with managerial instability, but a year or two from now we would ideally still have Mourinho in charge and there would be a smooth transition between generations if the players are good enough. I would also consider this current crop of young players at the club a much better one than say maybe five years ago, so I consider their chances to be a little higher than those of the previous generations.

Loaning isn't really the problem..but there could have been other teams besides Cologne where he could have been loaned to

And off goes another one *sigh* I hope we plan on buy a defender (or two)

Why keep him here and let him waste away on the bench? He'll get games, Zouma needs to be here with Mou. Ivanovic can play CB. Maybe it's not the best team, but he's gonna play in a competitive league. Which is all that matters.

Why keep him here and let him waste away on the bench? He'll get games, Zouma needs to be here with Mou. Ivanovic can play CB. Maybe it's not the best team, but he's gonna play in a competitive league. Which is all that matters.

Him getting consistent games is good for him. I don't think it's a good move for Chelsea though. I haven't been keeping up-to-date these days so forgive me if I'm wrong but since we sold DL that means we have Cahill, Terry (solid but getting older), Ake (not going to get much if any chance), Zouma (not PL tested). Azpi as LB/RB, Ivanovic (RB/CB). No Cole. Seems to me we're walking a fine line; injuries, suspensions etc what's going to happen? We should be focusing on beefing up our attacking with a quality striker imo not looking to fix defense issues as well.

Just because Kalas has gone out on loan, I don't think it necessarily means we will promote Zouma or Omeruo as 4th choice CB. With all the money we have available I can see Mourinho spending big on a CB. Many might disagree or think it is unnecessary but there is no way I can see Mourinho going with Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic and perhaps Zouma as our 4 CB. Ivanovic is a very reliable CB as he has proven but he is not a world class CB. Terry is getting on and while is still a quality defender he may need to sit out the every so often game. If Terry is injured or in need of a rest I think Mourinho would rather a proven CB there.

I know Mourinho approved of the Zouma signing and I have high hopes of him myself but I am not sure if Jose thinks he is ready to step in the firing line as of yet. When the deal was announced that we were signing him he spent a lot of his games on the bench at a team much more inferior to us. Playing for a team challenging for multiple honours is tough. Then you have Ivanovic who always seems to impress at CB but is mainly used as a RB and I think Jose wants a proven CB who is capable of making sure that Terry and Cahill are not guaranteed starters. I can easily see Jose making a move for Benatia or Mangala.

That is why I think if anything the loan of Kalas indicates that Mourinho is going to be signing another top class CB. Mourinho likes competition and next season he is going in with the mentality to win. He will make that known as well and that is why I think he wants quality. Just can't see Mourinho having Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic and Zouma/Omeruo as our CB for next season at all. Terry is 33 and tbh while it will air questions as to the trusting of our young CB etc, buying another CB like Benatia or Mangala would help a lot next season. City won the league but you can see how much of a loss he was when he was out injured despite them having many other CB and I am sure Mourinho has assessed these sort of situations for next season and in case an injury happens to Cahill or Terry we have quality replacements available.