Tomáš Kalas

James

The important thing for him this season was to get noticed by clubs for his potential in the premier league. His debut against Liverpool showed exactly what he's capable of so now there will be a list of good loan offers for him.

We could have loaned him out at the start of the season but I don't think we would have taken the loan move seriously as it would be have been yet another loan spell.

Seems to me Cahill, Terry, Ivanovic, and Kalas should be our CBs next season while Omeruo and Zouma continue playing elsewhere.

Keep clutching at those Champions League spots while not having the guts or confidence to play at all tempos--including quick and incisive, then it's hard to see Chelsea evolving.

If Chelsea get some more quality all-around centre midfielders to sit in front of the CBs along with a superb left back, then I think Chelsea will improve their overall play (and tempo) and be willing to use young players more readily throughout a season.

Chelsea have been shaky going forward well before Drogba left and I see them still unable exhibit the kind of killer transition play and build-up play that scares opponents. If this lack of attacking confidence or rut is overcome in the next season, I think Mourinho should more readily give young defenders and center midfielders more time on the pitch. The question is whether Mourinho is the manager to take Chelsea beyond this rut, because IMO, it's not just about a damn striker; striker is only part of Chelsea's problems.

Seems to me Cahill, Terry, Ivanovic, and Kalas should be our CBs next season while Omeruo and Zouma continue playing elsewhere.

Keep clutching at those Champions League spots while not having the guts or confidence to play at all tempos--including quick and incisive, then it's hard to see Chelsea evolving.

If Chelsea get some more quality all-around centre midfielders to sit in front of the CBs along with a superb left back, then I think Chelsea will improve their overall play (and tempo) and be willing to use young players more readily throughout a season.

Chelsea have been shaky going forward well before Drogba left and I see them still unable exhibit the kind of killer transition play and build-up play that scares opponents. If this lack of attacking confidence or rut is overcome in the next season, I think Mourinho should more readily give young defenders and center midfielders more time on the pitch. The question is whether Mourinho is the manager to take Chelsea beyond this rut, because IMO, it's not just about a damn striker; striker is only part of Chelsea's problems.

i think Mou will decide who's the 4th CB between Kalas or Zouma in next pre-season...

hmm makes no sense to spend so much on a defender just to loan him out for ever...

Kalas seems like a promising young defender, but nothing special so far. He fared well when called upon, but was well protected in very defensive setups. Less so in the last match, but that was the strangest of the season...

Top posts here regarding the loan system. Being ridiculed by rival clubs I can take all day long but as a fan of this club it's downright frustrating to constantly see young talent mishandled in such a way that we have to spend ludicrous sums to fill talent we could've had by simply nurturing.

When a player is promoted from the youth team there's something special. The player is full of appreciation for the club, the player PLAYS FOR THE CLUB not his damn paycheck!! Sure they might move on, but they stay humble for their club most times. Look at one-man clubs.. Zanetti, Scholes, Gerrard and Puyol the adoration they have for fans and club alike.

Maybe I'm getting too sentimental. Kalas gave the game of his life v Suarez, the guy who won the Golden Boot this season. Irrespective of our tactics in the game he held his own and now he's going on loan?! Because why? He didn't cost £12 million like Zouma or doesn't have a £35 million buy out like Mangala? Ridiculous.

The thing is youth promotion works both ways, if we promote the wrong player we are ultimately wasting our's and their's time.
Take the 2010 YC winning side for example, after that we were talking about our future side and most team's i saw had those lads as the spine with Conor Clifford as captain.
From the top off my head Conor is in and out off Southend's side, Billy is in Holland after an epic fail off a loan at Yeovil, Tore is in Turkey, Mitrovic is in serie B, Sala i think is the same, Kane is on Blackburn's bench and Deen Conteh last time i checked was a free agent. Josh ofcourse is endlessly floating around in the Championship.
Miroslav Stoch, who many had down as our next superstar winger, spent last season on loan at PAOK. If a youngster in our academy could come in right now and be as good as Eden Hazard (mentally aswell as technically) he would get played.
If we were holding these guys back and cruelly not giving them chances, they would be at our European rivals right now making us look sill

The thing is youth promotion works both ways, if we promote the wrong player we are ultimately wasting our's and their's time.
Take the 2010 YC winning side for example, after that we were talking about our future side and most team's i saw had those lads as the spine with Conor Clifford as captain.
From the top off my head Conor is in and out off Southend's side, Billy is in Holland after an epic fail off a loan at Yeovil, Tore is in Turkey, Mitrovic is in serie B, Sala i think is the same, Kane is on Blackburn's bench and Deen Conteh last time i checked was a free agent. Josh ofcourse is endlessly floating around in the Championship.
Miroslav Stoch, who many had down as our next superstar winger, spent last season on loan at PAOK. If a youngster in our academy could come in right now and be as good as Eden Hazard (mentally aswell as technically) he would get played.
If we were holding these guys back and cruelly not giving them chances, they would be at our European rivals right now making us look sill

I have to disagree entirely.

The reason those players from the FAYC 2010 didn't reach the heights that they did is because we didn't give them any sort of platform to step up. They were always designated to be loaned out to useless clubs where the club mismanaged them and failed to help them. Why does a youngster in the academy have to be as good as Eden Hazard in their current mentality too?

Eden Hazard is successful because Lille gave him the opportunity to shine by playing in their first team. They didn't care about his age. And he went on to establish himself as that good. If our players show the potential to be as good as Hazard it's about the club to make potential a reality. We have Piazon for example who's a great talent. Malaga loved him 2 seasons ago and they're raving about him at Vitesse.. Yet he's in trouble of being one of those players we fail if we don't give him an opportunity.

I have to disagree entirely.

The reason those players from the FAYC 2010 didn't reach the heights that they did is because we didn't give them any sort of platform to step up. They were always designated to be loaned out to useless clubs where the club mismanaged them and failed to help them. Why does a youngster in the academy have to be as good as Eden Hazard in their current mentality too?

Eden Hazard is successful because Lille gave him the opportunity to shine by playing in their first team. They didn't care about his age. And he went on to establish himself as that good. If our players show the potential to be as good as Hazard it's about the club to make potential a reality. We have Piazon for example who's a great talent. Malaga loved him 2 seasons ago and they're raving about him at Vitesse.. Yet he's in trouble of being one of those players we fail if we don't give him an opportunity.

So are you saying the only reason Deen Conteh is a free agent instead off a PL full back is solely the way we handled him?
Jack Cork never got an appearance (one off the few that could actually feel aggreved) but his talent shone through and is now a PL footballer. Leicester took Conor Cliifford on trial after we released him, surely they would have given him a shot if he was good enough? Bertrand kept going on loans and eventually got the squad role he was good enough for, all be it only for a couple off season's.
The Hazard point was extreme, but if Lillie didn't give him a chance he would have likely gone elsewhere and his quality would have shined through, like Pogba, his lack off chances under Fergie didn't stop him shining at Juve.

All this worry and bother about youth coming through, folks the main problem we've had with integrating youth is chopping and changing of managers. When Jose's been here for 3-4 yrs you will see youth come through, the myth about Chelsea always buying and not developing will be demystified when we have a long term manager and we do now in Jose.

Kalas is in the final stages of his development, if he goes on loan its just to get him Prem ready for the likelihood that JT may be close to the end.

So are you saying the only reason Deen Conteh is a free agent instead off a PL full back is solely the way we handled him?
Jack Cork never got an appearance (one off the few that could actually feel aggreved) but his talent shone through and is now a PL footballer. Leicester took Conor Cliifford on trial after we released him, surely they would have given him a shot if he was good enough? Bertrand kept going on loans and eventually got the squad role he was good enough for, all be it only for a couple off season's.
The Hazard point was extreme, but if Lillie didn't give him a chance he would have likely gone elsewhere and his quality would have shined through, like Pogba, his lack off chances under Fergie didn't stop him shining at Juve.

I'm not implying that they would have been a success or anything, but I do believe mishandling of young players contributes significantly to the way their careers don't reach the heights they should. It's natural for an academy to release players without giving them a chance if they genuinely believe they're not good enough, to have never given them a chance is a cruel waste of talent on the club's part.

You look at McEachran and how a series of useless loans have basically seen his career fall apart and he may never be allowed to reach the potential he undoubtedly has. Him and Wilshere made themselves known as the same time, but where Arsenal nurtured Wilshere (yes they did loan him out once, but made sure they also gave him chances and nurtured him) we simply allowed McEachran to disappear.

Chalobah was at risk. After having a great season with Watford we sent him to Nottingham Forest where he only made 12 appearances.. He played 38 for Watford and was easily one their most consistent and important players and yet we simply dismissed him and sent him away. The problem with Chelsea and young players is we don't like developing them within the club.. We just make it another club's problem and if they do well then we'll consider them (although evidence of this is yet to be shown).

I'm not implying that they would have been a success or anything, but I do believe mishandling of young players contributes significantly to the way their careers don't reach the heights they should. It's natural for an academy to release players without giving them a chance if they genuinely believe they're not good enough, to have never given them a chance is a cruel waste of talent on the club's part.

You look at McEachran and how a series of useless loans have basically seen his career fall apart and he may never be allowed to reach the potential he undoubtedly has. Him and Wilshere made themselves known as the same time, but where Arsenal nurtured Wilshere (yes they did loan him out once, but made sure they also gave him chances and nurtured him) we simply allowed McEachran to disappear.

Chalobah was at risk. After having a great season with Watford we sent him to Nottingham Forest where he only made 12 appearances.. He played 38 for Watford and was easily one their most consistent and important players and yet we simply dismissed him and sent him away. The problem with Chelsea and young players is we don't like developing them within the club.. We just make it another club's problem and if they do well then we'll consider them (although evidence of this is yet to be shown).

Where Wilshere and McEachran separated in terms off development was their respective PL loans, Jack grabbed his with both hands while Josh got chances at the start but blew them and found himself on the bench for the rest off his stay. His pre season in 2012 when he returned didn't help thing's either.

Would RDM/Rafa have given him the chances if he shone at Swansea? no one will ever know the answer, but he would have made a much better case for himself.

Youth development at top clubs seem to be an issue, like we mention Wilshere but for one Jack there's 20 Lansbury's and Frimpong's.

All this worry and bother about youth coming through, folks the main problem we've had with integrating youth is chopping and changing of managers. When Jose's been here for 3-4 yrs you will see youth come through, the myth about Chelsea always buying and not developing will be demystified when we have a long term manager and we do now in Jose.

Kalas is in the final stages of his development, if he goes on loan its just to get him Prem ready for the likelihood that JT may be close to the end.

that's a beautiful picture you have painted ,,, Sadly I just can't see any of it happening

Where Wilshere and McEachran separated in terms off development was their respective PL loans, Jack grabbed his with both hands while Josh got chances at the start but blew them and found himself on the bench for the rest off his stay. His pre season in 2012 when he returned didn't help thing's either.

Would RDM/Rafa have given him the chances if he shone at Swansea? no one will ever know the answer, but he would have made a much better case for himself.

Youth development at top clubs seem to be an issue, like we mention Wilshere but for one Jack there's 20 Lansbury's and Frimpong's.

I agree, there's only a certain extent to which we can blame to club for a failed loan opportunity. But when McEachran failed at Swansea the club should've realised that

• Their midfield was already settled.. Josh is talented but wasn't that talented to break the trio of Allen, Ledley and whoever else was there.
  • When it was evident Josh wasn't going to play they should've recalled him.

Then we did a Chalobah.. After good numbers at Middlesbrough we sent him to Watford & Wigan were, again, nothing happened. So he's gone and proved himself by cementing a regular role at the club we sent him on loan to and didn't give him an opportunity?!

Trying to bring this back to Kalas, he's shown he is capable of holding his own and he's shown he's able to perform to his very best in a Chelsea shirt. Why then is he being sent out on loan when Terry's coming to the end of his career and we've basically got the capability of developing him among our own ranks?

My main point before was that continously going on loan can be detrimental to a player's confidence and Southgate has even said this about McEachran,

"Hopefully, the opportunity to come and train with us rekindles a fire for them because young players can be hit in terms of their confidence when progress is not always in an upward direction.

"We are hoping Josh being with us this week sets him up with renewed enthusiasm for next season because we know what talent he has got."

This is also echoed in this article I found rather true as well..

Kakuta, though, is not the only player to have either been brought in at an early age or progressed through the ranks at academy level only to then be shipped out on-loan season after season. Josh McEachran, Sam Hutchinson, Ryan Bertrand and Patrick Van Aanholt have all experienced what it is like to have a brief taste of first team action at Chelsea before being cast off to various parts of the country or to Chelsea’s feeder club, Vitesse.

This sort of treatment is simply not conducive to productive growth as a footballer. If the premise behind the loaning of a young player to another club is gaining experience in preparation for first team football, then where is the incentive to maintain a high performance level if that very same player is just going to be sent out on loan at every given opportunity.

http://soccerlens.com/chelseas-handling-young-talent-wrong-damaging/134040/