Oriol Romeu

termninja

Certainly making a solid claim to stay with the first team. I think, unless Mikel leaves, either him and MVG will leave on loan. Their performances in preseason could largely influence Jose's decision on this.

Is it true he will count as home grown if he stay in England for one more year? Must be one of the factor why we extend his contract.

No. He joined us when he's 19.

There's definitely a strong possibility that he might be loaned out but I also wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho decided to keep him. Last season there were reports in the Spanish press that Valencia were keen to include an option to buy clause in his loan agreement but Chelsea were adamant that he was part of their future plans, and through out the season the local press were certain that even if Valencia wanted to keep him, Chelsea would refuse. Romeu even said that the club were constantly in contact with him and were closely monitoring his progress.

So he might be loaned out but I think there's a likeliness he might stay.

If he does stay then I think he can be more than just a back up for Matic. Actually wouldn't mind seeing him used in the same way David Luiz was used for much of last season - sitting alongside Matic. Yes it would be defensive but the good thing about a Romeu-Matic combo is that it would take the shackles off of Fabregas. It would also allow both Luis and Azpi to get forward. I like the Oscar-Fabregas-Matic midfield for home games but for away games at tough grounds like St James Park, Selhurst Park, Britannia etc that midfield would get run over.

There's definitely a strong possibility that he might be loaned out but I also wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho decided to keep him. Last season there were reports in the Spanish press that Valencia were keen to include an option to buy clause in his loan agreement but Chelsea were adamant that he was part of their future plans, and through out the season the local press were certain that even if Valencia wanted to keep him, Chelsea would refuse. Romeu even said that the club were constantly in contact with him and were closely monitoring his progress.

So he might be loaned out but I think there's a likeliness he might stay.

If he does stay then I think he can be more than just a back up for Matic. Actually wouldn't mind seeing him used in the same way David Luiz was used for much of last season - sitting alongside Matic. Yes it would be defensive but the good thing about a Romeu-Matic combo is that it would take the shackles off of Fabregas. It would also allow both Luis and Azpi to get forward. I like the Oscar-Fabregas-Matic midfield for home games but for away games at tough grounds like St James Park, Selhurst Park, Britannia etc that midfield would get run over.

When teams line up with two defensive midfielders people just assume it's defensive tactics when that isn't always the case.

During Ronaldo s spell at United Fergie often picked two DMs to supplement Cristianos free role, even against shit teams, it's not negative, it's balancing the team out so CR7s free role didn't hurt the team defensively.

4 pre-season matches only. but have to admit that he has been our best player. near perfect whenever he has been on the pitch!!!

yep. nice ball in the build up, to the torres goal.

hopefully its enough for him to stay.

I like Romeu and i liked his interview saying that he feels at home at Chesea. The contract extension was a surprise for me but it's a squad game and every player counts. Jose obviously likes him and has seen a fair bit of him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2711932/Fernando-Torres-going-says-Chelsea-boss-Jose-Mourinho.html

It seems Jose always mentioned 18 players non HG (3 ST, 3 GK, 3 DF, 4 CM, 5 AM). Instead we have 5 CM (Matic, Van Ginkel, Romeu, Mikel, Ramires), so I think he is never rated Romeu I guess? Makes me wonder why we extend his contract.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2711932/Fernando-Torres-going-says-Chelsea-boss-Jose-Mourinho.html

It seems Jose always mentioned 18 players non HG (3 ST, 3 GK, 3 DF, 4 CM, 5 AM). Instead we have 5 CM (Matic, Van Ginkel, Romeu, Mikel, Ramires), so I think he is never rated Romeu I guess? Makes me wonder why we extend his contract.

maybe Mikel is not rated

I think it made sense to extend his contract, he is still young and has resell value. Plus, he was really impressive before his injury. I hope that he can regain that form and fight for a place or go for a good fee. Mikel would probably be the excess CM, but he is difficult to move due to his wage and he wouldn't command a large fee.