Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

1 hour ago, Blusan Alamb said:

"Working hard in training" is such a cliche I'm so tired of it. Always talk talk talk, time to apply all that hard work on the pitch, but nope... we see same recurring shit regularly and not only with him. Just shut up and deliver the goods or fuck off.

6 hours ago, Tomo said:

So after Wednesday it's clear most of you want a new keeper, maybe De Gea or Donnaruma, they would never let their team down and concede avoidable goals on a big European night.

In comparison to De Gea Courtois makes this mistakes for years now. He got exposed from the near post regularly in 2015 and still didn´t improve ever since. Courtois isn´t a bad keeper at all, no one in their right mind would claim that, but he isn´t anywhere near the likes of De Gea or Oblak for example. 

5 hours ago, Bosnian Blue said:

giphy.gif

I've noticed this a lot of times this season and the fault cannot be entirely on Courtois. He must be under pressure from Conte to play in this way. Courtois in my opinion is a very good goalkeeper but he is not good with the ball at his feet, yet we seem to insist on playing out from the back. It's all fine and well when we're not being pressed as we recycle possession but when teams press high against us we still seem to do it and have got ourselves into trouble on multiple occasions this season.

It's ironic because City don't even try and play out from the back as much as us. They will coax a team to push up a little higher and Ederson will then launch it long over the top for Aguero, Sane, Sterling to chase. We never seem to mix it up.

3 hours ago, Beigl said:

In comparison to De Gea Courtois makes this mistakes for years now. He got exposed from the near post regularly in 2015 and still didn´t improve ever since. Courtois isn´t a bad keeper at all, no one in their right mind would claim that, but he isn´t anywhere near the likes of De Gea or Oblak for example. 

De Gea fucks up a lot more than general opinion suggests, he's made many errors vs us alone in the past (including being easily beaten for Willian's recent goal at Old Trafford) and single handedly derailed Spain Euro 2016. I mean he's very good but he's helped by playing for such a shite defense that gives him the exposure to make up for his mistakes, i just can't subscribe to have a keeper who's average at best at commanding his area (even United fans are picking up on this) and makes silly mistakes often as the worlds best keeper (not saying Courtois is either). 

For the supposed best thing since sliced bread there ain't half some embarrassing blunders in there and that's only last season (plus Euro 2016). De Gea actually reminds me of Cudicini (he's better but they share striking similarities), excellent shot stopper and in his element when facing shot after shot, but when we started building a top team where Cudicini only needed to be called upon once or twice a game, he looked lost and couldn't keep concentration. If/when DDG transfers to Real i will be very intreged to see how he copes with the transition.

15 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I've noticed this a lot of times this season and the fault cannot be entirely on Courtois. He must be under pressure from Conte to play in this way. Courtois in my opinion is a very good goalkeeper but he is not good with the ball at his feet, yet we seem to insist on playing out from the back. It's all fine and well when we're not being pressed as we recycle possession but when teams press high against us we still seem to do it and have got ourselves into trouble on multiple occasions this season.

It's ironic because City don't even try and play out from the back as much as us. They will coax a team to push up a little higher and Ederson will then launch it long over the top for Aguero, Sane, Sterling to chase. We never seem to mix it up.

The reason being that Ederson has far superior passing skills and range, awareness, and vision. He can hit those bullet passes like Hummels and Luiz. I remember when everybody was laughing at the sum City paid for Ederson one of the common selling points about Ederson that Benfica supporters mentioned was his long range passing and his goal kicks, often referencing this goal kick in particular.

11 hours ago, Amblève. said:

The reason being that Ederson has far superior passing skills and range, awareness, and vision. He can hit those bullet passes like Hummels and Luiz. I remember when everybody was laughing at the sum City paid for Ederson one of the common selling points about Ederson that Benfica supporters mentioned was his long range passing and his goal kicks, often referencing this goal kick in particular.

I agree with this, he does have far superior passing skills and range.

But I would still rather Courtois mix it up a little. He will nearly always try to play it short and in recent games I'm pretty certain we get caught out or dispossessed in a dangerous area at least a couple of times a game, and it's cost us a few goals to boot. There are no excuses when Morata or Giroud are playing up front because we have a target man to send the ball up to.

I'm happy to try and keep possession and not simply gift it back to the opposition but it needs to be in a far more sensible way than what we are doing at the moment.

13 hours ago, Tomo said:

De Gea fucks up a lot more than general opinion suggests, he's made many errors vs us alone in the past (including being easily beaten for Willian's recent goal at Old Trafford) and single handedly derailed Spain Euro 2016. I mean he's very good but he's helped by playing for such a shite defense that gives him the exposure to make up for his mistakes, i just can't subscribe to have a keeper who's average at best at commanding his area (even United fans are picking up on this) and makes silly mistakes often as the worlds best keeper (not saying Courtois is either).

For the supposed best thing since sliced bread there ain't half some embarrassing blunders in there and that's only last season (plus Euro 2016). De Gea actually reminds me of Cudicini (he's better but they share striking similarities), excellent shot stopper and in his element when facing shot after shot, but when we started building a top team where Cudicini only needed to be called upon once or twice a game, he looked lost and couldn't keep concentration. If/when DDG transfers to Real i will be very intreged to see how he copes with the transition.

Fair enough and I get your points, but I still believe that he is superior that Courtois, because even though both have their weaknesses De Gea is the one who truly elevates the team. Just think about where United would stand in the table if De Gea didn´t pull out world class saves left, right and centre. Courtois is in my opinion good when the team plays well like in 2014/15 or in our winning run in late 2016, but when our team struggles he simply doesn´t put us out of misery like Cech did for example numerous times. He was very bad in 2015/16 and even deservedly got dropped for Begovic mid season. 

He is a level below Ter Stegen, De Gea and Oblak which means he is still a good goalkeeper and on his day he is even great (unpopular opinion: his save vs Van Aanholt probably won us the league last season).

On the other hand we should still keep him, because the need of an upgrade at other positions like RWB for example is much more important. 

Liverpool want to sign £70m-rated Roma keeper Alisson, but Real Madrid are the favourites to sign the 25-year-old Brazilian. (Sunday Mirror)

Courtios has egg on his face now Real Madrid don't even want him sell this media mouth piece in the summer or let him rot on the bench next season 

I really think Caballero should be the first gk for the rest of the season. We have nothing to lose tbh and Courtois deserves to sit on the bench for two and a half months. He clearly doesn't want to sign a new contract, I don't get why we should keep him in shape for his next club.