Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

On 6. 4. 2016 at 9:32 PM, Hamilton said:

Media saying we are willing to let him go for €60m..

If someone, probably Real, offers this amount of money, then definitely sell him & get Butland. We need to keep our English identity and Butland is a fantastic young goalkeeper. I don't want Chelsea to be consisted of only non-English players, we need to have some identity.

47 minutes ago, Melanicus said:

If someone, probably Real, offers this amount of money, then definitely sell him & get Butland. We need to keep our English identity and Butland is a fantastic young goalkeeper. I don't want Chelsea to be consisted of only non-English players, we need to have some identity.

Stoke will want around £30m most likely (Chelsea tax + young English player tax), taking the vast majority of the Courtois fee if so. Begovic is fine for now. Other areas of the squad are in desperate need of investment by comparison. At least 2 defenders, a striker, a midfielder (or two) should all be priorities ahead of a costly goalkeeper in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, The Mak said:

Stoke will want around £30m most likely (Chelsea tax + young English player tax), taking the vast majority of the Courtois fee if so. Begovic is fine for now. Other areas of the squad are in desperate need of investment by comparison. At least 2 defenders, a striker, a midfielder (or two) should all be priorities ahead of a costly goalkeeper in my opinion. 

Or we could do a United and get Keylor Navas as part of the deal.

Not since Santiago Canizares have I seen a keeper so underrated.

28 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Or we could do a United and get Keylor Navas as part of the deal.

Not since Santiago Canizares have I seen a keeper so underrated.

Navas is a great shout to be fair. Don't think he would take much off our price tag either considering he's pushing 30.

I really like Thibaut and I think he has a great future ahead of him, but for those who say that he is already one of the best in the world, did any of you watch Buffon against Milan yesterday? Because THAT is what the best keepers in the world are capable of, and I'm sorry, but Thibaut simply is not just yet. 

6 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

I really like Thibaut and I think he has a great future ahead of him, but for those who say that he is already one of the best in the world, did any of you watch Buffon against Milan yesterday? Because THAT is what the best keepers in the world are capable of, and I'm sorry, but Thibaut simply is not just yet. 

Was just watching the highlights. WHAT KIND OF SAVES WERE THOSE?! My God. 

Thibaut has a long way to go. He needs to pick it up this season. 

I hope he does it, even if I am critical of him, and his comments and performances aren't doing him favours.

6 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

Buffon is the GOAT, let's be fair. Bit unfair to compare a 23 year old to an absolute veteran. 

1 hour ago, BlueLion said:

Buffon is the GOAT, let's be fair. Bit unfair to compare a 23 year old to an absolute veteran. 

Absolutely, in a league of his own. There won't be another like him, so it's very harsh to compare the two. Like Hazard and Ronaldo almost.. Have to be judged on their own merits.

8 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

Possibly could have saved the Milan goal though

2 hours ago, BlueLion said:

Many here last season were claiming that Thibaut is already better than the likes of Buffon, Cech and even Neuer for some. I'm not AT ALL saying that he should already better than Buffon. 

1 hour ago, CHOULO19 said:

Many here last season were claiming that Thibaut is already better than the likes of Buffon, Cech and even Neuer for some. I'm not AT ALL saying that he should already better than Buffon. 

Based on this season. His previous 4 seasons were stellar and those claims weren't far-fetched whatsoever. In current form he's nowhere near the likes of Neuer and Buffon but let's keep some perspective =)

If Courtois leaves, I'd really really dislike him.

We sold our legend who can still play at the top level for another 4years because we put our faith in him. And now he’s willing to leave because we can’t offer him CL for one season? How soon did we have him back as first choice goalkeeper after his injury? I’m already against the attitude of Belgian players, him asking to leave will just fuel the fire.

10 hours ago, Melanicus said:

If Courtois leaves, I'd really really dislike him.

We sold our legend who can still play at the top level for another 4years because we put our faith in him. And now he’s willing to leave because we can’t offer him CL for one season? How soon did we have him back as first choice goalkeeper after his injury? I’m already against the attitude of Belgian players, him asking to leave will just fuel the fire.

The obvious fear for Chelsea supporters is the club’s top players, such as Courtois, could be tempted away from Stamford Bridge if they miss out on qualification for next season’s Champions League.

But Courtois suggested that what happens next season will be more decisive by saying: “The Champions League is the highest competition you can play in at club level, so, obviously, you want to play in it.

“But Manchester United missed it as well and they stayed the same, so it depends how the club copes. When you have a bad year, the next year is most important and we have to try to fight back and gain that spot again at the top.”

[Telegraph]

It doesn't sound like he's desperate to leave because "we can't offer him CL for one season".

4 hours ago, pHaRaOn said:

The obvious fear for Chelsea supporters is the club’s top players, such as Courtois, could be tempted away from Stamford Bridge if they miss out on qualification for next season’s Champions League.

But Courtois suggested that what happens next season will be more decisive by saying: “The Champions League is the highest competition you can play in at club level, so, obviously, you want to play in it.

“But Manchester United missed it as well and they stayed the same, so it depends how the club copes. When you have a bad year, the next year is most important and we have to try to fight back and gain that spot again at the top.”

[Telegraph]

It doesn't sound like he's desperate to leave because "we can't offer him CL for one season".

Great point. 

One bad season is just a blip. 

But if we continue then no top players will want to come. 

Let's hope we can regain lost ground next season. 

If we keep Courtois, Hazard, Costa, Fabregas, Willian we will be good next season. 

Just get us some better midfield, as who knows matic might come back too but that's not enough. 

Oh and obviously defense, but that's a no brainer. 

On 10/04/2016 at 8:51 PM, CHOULO19 said:

I think those people are very premature. This season has been a blip but he certainly has the potential to be considered amongst those names. I'd say that last season he was actually performing better than Buffon, but this season, Gigi has been the best by some distance. Looks totally unperturbed with everything he does.