Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

http://www.7msport.com/news/newsdata/20120819/77019.shtml

Thibaut Courtois is ready to burn the midnight oil as Atletico Madrid begin their bid to improve on last season's fifth-place finish in the Primera Division.

The 20-year-old Belgian goalkeeper, who is spending a second year with Atletico on loan from Chelsea, admits he would rather his side's opening game against Levante began earlier than 11pm.

But there can be no avoiding Sunday's late show, so Courtois will ensure he remains sharp for the tussle with the team who finished a place below Atletico last term.

"It's late for me to play at 10pm, and at 11pm it is very late," he said, "but we are professionals and if we have to play it at 11pm we will.

"It will be difficult, but we hope to play well and win and forget about the time."

Midfielder Juanfran Torres will be an absentee for Atletico, having suffered a knee injury on duty with Spain against Puerto Rico on Wednesday, but Courtois is fit after playing in Belgium's win over Holland.

Courtois has another big date in his diary, the UEFA Super Cup match against Chelsea in Monaco at the end of the month.

"Chelsea is my club," he said, "but I am also professional and play here and I want to win the Super Cup.

"I want to play, do well and win the trophy."

Courtois has Petr Cech ahead of him at Chelsea, but the abundance of experience he has been afforded with Atletico has helped.

The youngster said at a press conference, according to his club's website, that Atletico should be pushing for the Champions League places and he should be looking to hone his own game.

"I'm only 20 and I can improve a lot," he said. "I made two or three mistakes last year and that has to come out of my game.

"I want to have a great season, not only on a personal level but with the whole team. We can play better and get into the Champions League."

• 2 weeks later...

Fulham could do with a him for a season next year (they could this year actually,but not gonna happen with him starring in Madrid) and it would help him settle into the area...i would have said so do West Ham on the other side of town but a year over there may scare him for life.. :D

Fulham could do with a him for a season next year (they could this year actually,but not gonna happen with him starring in Madrid) and it would help him settle into the area...i would have said so do West Ham on the other side of town but a year over there may scare him for life.. :D

Let's not help West Ham, Fulham is a better bet and Martin Jol seems to be doing a good job there.

mad that he played in an 11pm kick off tho hey.. the moths and other shit must have been flying that night in the stadium.

as for West Ham.. apart from not helping them,in a way apart from having to live in the manky part of town. it wouldn't be that bad an idea,as he`d get plenty of action over there with them fighting relegation,if they survive this year that is..

tho like i said,better for him to join Fulham.

A weird article in Belgian press today..

Barcelona would have made contact with the Genk board to ask what percentage they would get from a future transfer of Courtois..

if true that is tapping up ..but of course Barca and Real are expert at unsettling players

A weird article in Belgian press today..

Barcelona would have made contact with the Genk board to ask what percentage they would get from a future transfer of Courtois..

Not surprised to see that they are looking to buy a new goalkeeper sometime in the future. Victor Valdes is simply not good enough to be playing at a club of Barcelona's level and never has been. If they are not in complete control of the games, Valdes will keep costing them a lot of important matches. Having that clueless cunt between the sticks has worked out fine for them so far when their other players have been so good that the keeper doesn't even get properly tested in most games but I suspect that is about to change now that Guardiola is gone.

They can keep their filthy Catalan hands off Courtois though. Maybe if they let us have Messi then we'll talk, but otherwise they can fuck off. I just hope that Thibaut is patient enough to wait around for his opportunity to take over Cech. That's probably not going to happen for at least a couple of years and he could be seeking a move to somewhere else sooner than that because he is already good enough to start at most top clubs. But why would he have joined Chelsea in the first place if he wasn't willing to be patient because he knew full well that Cech is only 30 and he can still keep going for a few years? Also making it at Chelsea could be more appealing to him than some other club because we have a lot of his Belgian mates at the club. :carlo:

There must be a reason he was signed.

If the club genuinely thought Cech could do a VDS this signing would not make sense, because even when Cech retired, Courtios would be well into his 30's.

I think the rumours that Cech might have to retire early might have an element of truth to it.

I wonder who will try and get him on loan next season? i will laugh hysterically if Levy makes a sneaky bid. He will probably try and make us pay installment's to him every time he plays.

If they make the CL next season he will want to stay there ...We are losing him........... :readthemessage:

Problem is, we'll probably lose him quicker if we bring him back now. He won't get any playing chances and he will start resenting the club.