Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

There is a risk whatever choice we make here. If we choose Courtois then he could be not as good as he has been for Belgium and Atletico, struggle with the physicality of the PL and all that. And if we've sold Cech we could be up the proverbial creek without any means of propulsion.

But also on the other hand, I get the distinct impression that Courtois won't be happy being loaned again or being 2nd choice, so will probably be sold. What happens then if Cech quickly goes downhill in the following season? He showed signs this season of being worse than his previous seasons at Chelsea after all. That would be one hell of an issue once we've sold Courtois and we'd have to buy another goalkeeper, either for mega bucks or one nowhere near the level that Cech and Courtois are now.

Either choice we make is going to have an element of risk about it, in football every transfer or choice does. The key thing is forgetting all of Courtois' twitter bullshit and trying to not be too sentimental after everything Petr has done for this club and to make an objective decision based on the facts available.

Cech Pros - Massive PL experience, still a great GK, knows the defence well, don't want to disrupt the team too much now we've sold Luiz, Lampard and Cole, could be captain after JT leaves.

Cech Cons - Showing early signs that he might be on the downwards slope, 31 years old and like someone else said not all GKs play well into their 30s.

Courtois Pros - Young (still room for development), already in the top 5 GKs in the world, played in similar system to us for Atletico and could play for us for the next 10-15 years, future captain?

Courtois Cons - Seemed to demand no. 1 shirt earlier in the season, unproven in the PL, still a few issues (like deflecting ball back into box) to iron out.

Even with those facts it's so close that it's pretty much down to personal preference. Personally I think Courtois edges it for 2 reasons: 1) I'm trying to think longer term and 2) I think Cech will stick around as a 2nd choice keeper which would solve every issue - if Courtois had problems then Cech could help him out.

Really? Both defences are arguably the best in their leagues and you probably won't find a closer analogue for our defensive structure than Atletico's almost anywhere in Europe. Of course there will be changes, but I don't think you could ask for a better team for a goalkeeper to come from than Atletico's.

Having watched both keepers a lot, Courtois is better right now in my opinion. Cech has not looked like the Cech of 2012 for a while which is worrying.

Put it like this. I don't think we lose anything by putting Courtois in goal for us next season and I think there's a chance we actually become a better team with him. Pre-season is about fitness, not competition so I don't know how useful a yardstick that is. Pragmatically there's no reason not to go with Courtois, but emotionally there's always going to be a pull for keeping Cech and football is about emotion.

Either way we've got one of the top six (?) keepers in the world in goal for us.

I totally agree with you. It went under the radar, but in May I wrote an article saying exactly that. There is next to nothing between them, and there is nothing to lose (except perhaps Cech himself moving elsewhere) by installing Courtois as number 1. There is no guarantee Courtois will continue to improve (players can reach their peak as early as 20-23 without really improving thereafter), but similarly there is no guarantee Cech will be able to maintain his level after his catalogue of injuries. Whoever we go with, we'll have a magnificent keeper. All I'm arguing is that people think Courtois is a step up on Cech - I don't think he necessarily is, but if he comes in and proves me wrong I'll be delighted.

It could be a massive risk discarding Courtois, only to then splash £20-25m in a few years on .. who exactly?, is it worth 'missing the boat' for an extra few seasons of Cech.

Courtois said this in 2011..

"Chelsea’s goalkeeping coach told me he doesn’t know how much time Cech can play at the top level,' the 19-year-old told Spanish radio station Onda Cero. I know he has problems in his knees and on his back"

He doesn't have much to prove. He's not coming from any shit league and has played in 2 European finals.

It's fair enough to site Atletico's awesome defence, but Chelsea's isn't half bad either - a lot of games Cech has nothing to do.

The one problem he might have in England is the physicality on setpieces, but he will get used to it. It's not like we aren't used to fuck ups on corners from Cech :D

And finally, if Courtois wasn't owned by Chelsea and the club were trying to sign him along with some other top clubs; obviously he will go where he has the best chance to start.

Like I said before, GK isn't like other positions. No top GK will sit on the bench and play only cup games till the #1 fucks up.

The one problem he might have in England is the physicality on setpieces, but he will get used to it. It's not like we aren't used to fuck ups on corners from Cech :D

Courtois' command of area is impeccable. Also his aerial ability makes him a monster in this kind of situations. Atletico Madrid have defended set-pieces brilliantly all season.

Also his reflexes are the reason why Simeone did not put any man on the posts when defending corners. (It cost him against Real Madrid I know, but it worked hundreds of times before).

I can't believe he is only 22. This season should be a fun ride :D

Maybe because the other loanies have played games for us.

That.

Courtois is listed under the 'On Loan Players' section. No reason to start panicking.

Or because they have no picture with Courtois wearing our shirt...

Maybe so but I don't think that has stopped the club using images of players in other kits in the website.