Gronkjaer: Retirement Announced

LDN Blue

Former Chelsea winger Jesper Gronkjaer set to retire

Former Chelsea and Birmingham winger Jesper Gronkjaer has announced his retirement from football at the age of 33.

Gronkjaer will quit the game after FC Copenhagen's final match of the season on Sunday against Aalborg.

The former Danish international, who joined Copenhagen in 2006, said he was retiring for health reasons.

"I'd like to be able to go jogging when I have played my last football game," he said. "I want a life without aches."

"I am worn out but not worn down," Gronkjaer told Danish television channel TV2.

Gronkjaer retired from international football following the 2010 World Cup after picking up 80 caps for his country.

The Dane has made 166 appearances for Copenhagen and has enjoyed spells with Ajax, Chelsea, Birmingham, Atletico Madrid and Stuttgart.

He began his professional career in 1995 against Copenhagen's opponents on Sunday, Aalborg.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/13563276.stm

That goal. That sent us to the Champions League. Which Abramovich bought us, based on.

That other goal. Monaco 2004.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually we needed a draw against Pool that year to ensure CL place and thus Desailly's leveller was the one that secured our future so to speak.

Very talented player was Gronky, I'm sad he's having to retire at 33. Was great to see him at the Bridge this year.

Loved Jesper. Since bursting on the scene in the FA Cup at gillingham he really became a bit of a fans favourite. Didn't have the best final ball but his work rate was excellent and he scored some really vital goals.

His goal at home to Liverpool in 2003 helped secure 4th and Champions League football for next season and his goal at Old Trafford in 2004 sealed 2nd place. What could've been against Monaco ay.... just part of our ucl nightmare of the last 8 years.

Best of luck for the future Jesps

Edited by OllieCFC

Dude, he wouldn't die obviously. I wonder how many ice hockey players would have died if this would be one. Great player, also ex Ajax player!

Well he took some initiative anyway. First rule of first aid.. Check the tongue hasn't gone down the throat, resulting in suffocation.