Stamford Bridge Thread

I think the main objective is to add as much corporate seats as possible. It's less about getting another 18k.

Arsenal with their 60k has the second biggest income in Europe in matchdays with 100.2m£. Man United has 16k more in capacity but only 8m£ more in income. Barcelona has 97.7£ with almost 100k capacity and Real 95.2m£ with 85k. It's because Arsenal has new stadium with the most corporate seats there. Real are planning to spend 400m€ to add only 8k in capacity but want to improve corporate seats and stick shopping centre and hotel to the stadium.

Chelsea isn't THAT far behind with 71m£ income from matchdays. It's 37m£ less than United and 29m£ less than Arsenal but it isn't SUCH a huge deal now. With new Yokohama sponsorship and Champions League prize money it's 45m£ more season and season out. And with new Premier League deal from 2016 it's another 55m£ more each season.

Therefore it isn't that much of the deal now when majority of the income come from elsewhere. Though The Sun states that will bring extra 40m£ for the club. That would mean that Chelsea matchday income will be highest in Europe. Is that possible when Arsenal has already 60k stadium which brings "only" 29m£ more ? But surely they calculate it will bring a lot more than 29m£ because otherwise I can't see they'd splash 400-500m£ or whatever number on the new stadium when broadcasting deal alone would double that.

Oh yeah another thing rather than 1 bridge to West Brompton there's going to be 2 bridges. Don't know where the 2nd one is going at the minute.

Any idea if the club are planning to buy any of the properties surrounding Stamford Bridge? If they could then it will be easier to understand how they'll manage to fit a 60k stadium onto a very restricted site.

Excellent ITKing regardless

To be honest I really couldnt give a toss what they want to call the stadium. WE all will still call our home The Bridge. It didnt make me happy when we got kicked out of the shed. I remember we couldnt agree where we was going to go so after not coming to agreements during meetings (well piss ups at the So Bar) we all ended up spitting up round the ground which buggered up the atmosphere (which is a big reason why we have a good vocal away cause allthe noisey gits are together :).

But its no skin off our nose what someone wants to call it. Theyre going to build us a nice big shiney home (and yes I hope its going to hold more than 60k. We might as well go big if we are gonna do it) If its going to stay where it is it shall always be known as Stamford Bridge)

But what can we do about safe standing? Thats a bigger thing for me rather than what we call the place.

Any idea if the club are planning to buy any of the properties surrounding Stamford Bridge? If they could then it will be easier to understand how they'll manage to fit a 60k stadium onto a very restricted site.

Excellent ITKing regardless

They've already bought a lot from what I understand. The previous owners are been given a year to live there free as well.

Not sure exactly what properties have been purchased currently though.

So still no proof that sponsors actually rejected the renaming then.

I agree with what you say in principle but the poster did actually state that sponsor deals of renaming/rebranding SB were rejected by potential sponsors.

What if say the West Stand stays and the other 3 stands are rebuilt/remodeled? Its still Stamford Bridge

surely in regards to sponsors rejecting the naming, the proof is in the pudding, 6 years on from first looking and nothing.

Or Chelsea FC had a rethink, change of plan etc etc. Because somewhere like Cobham which is state of the art one of the best in the world could have easily attracted training ground spinsorship.

SB is not a decrepid old stadium either...looks quite modern as you approach it.

Or Chelsea FC had a rethink, change of plan etc etc. Because somewhere like Cobham which is state of the art one of the best in the world could have easily attracted training ground spinsorship.

SB is not a decrepid old stadium either...looks quite modern as you approach it.

Thats not the point though, it may be new for the bulk of it but crucially it has always been called stamford bridge, the club didnt change their mind as gourlay 3 years after starting the search gave updates on how it was going, it was reported that sponsors were not interested in sponsoring an old (as in not brand new) stadium for the kind of money we were looking for, ask dave whelan and mike ashley how it is going in finding a sponsor for an existing stadium.

Id imagine that the training ground name will be bundled in with the ground name for £20m+ a season for 10 years, which should be achievable on a new stadia.

Links to these 'reports'...you seem very certain and i am playing devils advocate but see no proof on the table....just speculation.

The success of the club means we have been very sponserable ....SB included I would have thought.

I think new rules about sponsors and how they could rebrand grounds had a lot to do with it otherwise Abramovich could have used his influence over his companies to sponsor.

So still no proof that sponsors actually rejected the renaming then.

I agree with what you say in principle but the poster did actually state that sponsor deals of renaming/rebranding SB were rejected by potential sponsors.

What if say the West Stand stays and the other 3 stands are rebuilt/remodeled? Its still Stamford Bridge

None of the existing stands are 1905 originals but it's still Stamford Bridge. :)

As for rejections, I've no idea of course but it must be reasonable to guess that, since the stadium does not have a sponsor, no potential partners have been interested. At least not at a price acceptable to Chelsea. Personally, I don't have a problem with naming rights, I hope it happens and the sooner the better. New stadium or no new stadium.

None of the existing stands are 1905 originals but it's still Stamford Bridge. :)

As for rejections, I've no idea of course but it must be reasonable to guess that, since the stadium does not have a sponsor, no potential partners have been interested. At least not at a price acceptable to Chelsea. Personally, I don't have a problem with naming rights, I hope it happens and the sooner the better. New stadium or no new stadium.

No evidence of this, but I think it was a lot like the Turkish Airways saga with Gourley whereby he had someone lined up but it was either a pony company or what they were offering was right and it got rejected by the board.

The stadium sponsor and TA saga is probably what lost him his job.

The fact that we were clearly very eager for a sponsor suggests to me that we will again try to obtain a name right deal on the new build.

Links to these 'reports'...you seem very certain and i am playing devils advocate but see no proof on the table....just speculation.

The success of the club means we have been very sponserable ....SB included I would have thought.

I think new rules about sponsors and how they could rebrand grounds had a lot to do with it otherwise Abramovich could have used his influence over his companies to sponsor.

2009 - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/6510291/Chelsea-to-sell-Stamford-Bridge-naming-rights-to-compete-with-elite-clubs.html

2011- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2058862/Chelsea-close-Stamford-Bridge-naming-rights-deal.html

the club have seemed very keen to build a new ground, not just redevelop shed/mh ends to get to 60k, so logically to me it seems they want a new stadia part of that has been mooted as to be as they could sell the naming rights to offset some of the cost of the build.

To me it seems pretty clear that the club have failed to sell the naming rights to the bridge it was even a rumoured part reason behind gourlay being moved on, just as dave whelan failed to sell his and mike ashley failed to sell his the logical pattern it seems is old stadia and would explain the 6 years looking yet no deal for us even though we are one of the top 5 clubs in world football over the last decade or so and could of offered said company the opportunity to be first in line on a new stadia.