Stamford Bridge Thread

previous pages and an article Alex wrote a few weeks ago cover it. Basically the club are currently doing a survey of the area surrounding the stadium. It is not a survey into the feasibility of expansion exactly but it is the first step in looking at expansion and it's viability. Chelsea are yet to make any comment about using Twickenham or the outcome of the survey they are currently undertaking

EDIT: Although the RFU said Chelsea had contacted them about using Twickenham, me and Greavsie I think it was pointed out that due to laws in the area about the number of events allowed to be hosted at Twickenham each year it may not be viable. I think that was a few pages back too. It seems to be paper talk really

Ah okay thanks.

If twickenham fails, are there any other options?

The redevelopment of SB is being planned coupled with Abramovichs desire for them to be mature & shake off the controversial image (Express)

Chelsea are unlikely to move to a new stadium for at least seven years, it has emerged. #CFC (Mirror)

#CFC would prefer to stay as close as possible to their Stamford Bridge home and may attempt further redevelopment of the ground. (Mirror)

#CFC's current capacity contributes to the fact that it earns £1.5m/match or £35m per season LESS than #AFC in terms of matchday revenue.

Chelsea have estimated that it would cost £20,000 per extra seat to redevelop their current home. #CFC (Mirror) #ticketprices ;)

Chelsea have now slipped outside the top 50 in the world in terms of stadium capacity (Mirror) #CFC

If Chelsea redevelop Stamford Bridge instead, it is possible they will play at Twickenham for a year, or probably 2. #CFC (Mirror)

All this nostalgic, heritage bullshit is what's holding us back.

We've outgrown our home. If we want to progress as a football club, we have to move stadium. Stamford Bridge will just continue to pull us back from everyone else. We earn £35 million less than Arsenal every season. That's 1 world class player we could buy on a season basis without FFP being effected.

You against the idea of redeveloping the Bridge then? It could turn out to be more trouble than it's worth after all. What are our moving options at the moment?

I wouldn't be it just doesn't seem feasible/possible.

It doesn't look likely to me either, but then i'm no architect! I guess we'll have to see what the club say; I genuinely believe that if it's possible, feasible and not ridiculously expensive they will redevelop the bridge. But 3 big if's there.

The CST surveyed 660 members backed Mourinho's assessment. "Atmosphere continues to be a major concern for supporters & manager." (BBC) #CFC

The Chelsea Supporters Trust (CST) has called for safe standing areas to improve the Stamford Bridge atmosphere. (BBC) #CFC

You against the idea of redeveloping the Bridge then? It could turn out to be more trouble than it's worth after all. What are our moving options at the moment?

I'm not convinced that redeveloping SB achieves anything other than postponing the problem. Upgrading The Bridge will drag our stadium up to twentieth century standards for sure, but we can all see the deep, deep flaw in that situation. I believe that a stadium which is truly fit for the future can only be created away from SB. That said, you have asked the right question of course, and an acceptable answer to that question is now further away than it has ever been.

Speaking purely personally, I would be prepared to widen the radius of the search for sites, but I accept that the greater the distance from home base we propose to move, the fewer and fewer Chelsea fans would go along with it.

I'm not convinced that redeveloping SB achieves anything other than postponing the problem. Upgrading The Bridge will drag our stadium up to twentieth century standards for sure, but we can all see the deep, deep flaw in that situation. I believe that a stadium which is truly fit for the future can only be created away from SB. That said, you have asked the right question of course, and an acceptable answer to that question is now further away than it has ever been.

Speaking purely personally, I would be prepared to widen the radius of the circle within which we look for sites, but I accept that the greater the distance from home base we propose to move, the fewer and fewer Chelsea fans would go along with it.

It depends in which direction you're going.

For Chelsea to go North or East London it would be absolutely awful in my opinion.

Further South/South West is fine. Perhaps even on the brink of Surrey area.