Stamford Bridge Thread

5 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Kenny Swain instead of Stanley perhaps pretty sure about Johnny B and can't think of any other one than Hugh Johns. Tommy Langley definitely played as a number nine with us. You might as well tell us Greavsie  not many old boys on here but you, me and FB :D

Yep, fair point. :)

If you swapped Stanley for Swain I think that would change your score from one to none! :)

I think the answers are:-

1. Who is the 4 that put the ball across for The King to score?  - Ian Britton
  2. Who is the 11 that played the 4 in? - Gary Stanley
  3. Identify the man who floated the ball out to the 11.- Butch Wilkins
  4. What was the regular shirt number of the man who floated the ball out to the 11? (You can't see it in the build up to the goal.) - 8
  5. Who is the commentator? - Kenneth Wolstenholme (He left the beeb late in his career and moved to Tyne-Tees TV, which is why he's doing a 'Boro game.)

I'll check tonight and confirm, but I'm 99.1% sure. :)

3 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

If you swapped Stanley for Swain I think that would change your score from one to none! :)

4. What was the regular shirt number of the man who floated the ball out to the 11? (You can't see it in the build up to the goal.) - 8
  5. Who is the commentator? - Kenneth Wolstenholme (He left the beeb late in his career and moved to Tyne-Tees TV, which is why he's doing a 'Boro game.)

Think you've a few wrong there actually OTBAGreavsie,  

Playing with No 4 on his back is definitely Bumstead. Correct No 11 is Gary Stanley.

Ray Wilkins wasn't playing that game, think he was injured before (probably explains the ridiculous score) pretty certain Tommy Langley was wearing No 8.

The commentator sounds exactly the same as -''some of the crowd are on the pitch, they think its all over....'' ie Kenneth Wolstenholme

40 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Think you've a few wrong there actually OTBAGreavsie,  

Playing with No 4 on his back is definitely Bumstead. Correct No 11 is Gary Stanley.

Ray Wilkins wasn't playing that game, think he was injured before (probably explains the ridiculous score) pretty certain Tommy Langley was wearing No 8.

The commentator sounds exactly the same as -''some of the crowd are on the pitch, they think its all over....'' ie Kenneth Wolstenholme

I just dug out the Bristol City programme from 23/12/78. The team for the loss at 'Boro is listed there. The listing does not give numbers but it confirms that you are correct about Butch not playing. He was in the side for the previous match vs. Villa, home 9/12/78, L0-1, but not for the 'Boro game. No mention in the Bristol City programme about why the skipper was absent. Hardly any write up about the 'Boro game at all in fact. The main focus in that issue was the resignation of Ken Shellitto, and the appointment of Danny Blanchflower.

By watching a longer video of the game, I can confirm that:-

The 4 was indeed John Bumstead (Ian Britton wore No.7 that day)

It was Ossie himself who floated the ball out to Gary Stanley. Usual number 9 of course although he did wear number four briefly didn't he?

Correct answers therefore are:-

1. Who is the 4 that put the ball across for The King to score?  - John Bumstead
  3. Identify the man who floated the ball out to the 11.- Peter Osgood
  4. What was the regular shirt number of the man who floated the ball out to the 11? (You can't see it in the build up to the goal.) - 9
  5. Who is the commentator? - Kenneth Wolstenholme (He left the beeb late in his career and moved to Tyne-Tees TV, which is why he's doing a 'Boro game.

So that's 3/5 for FB, 2/5 for Iggy and 2/5 for me. The tabs must be working FB. :)

Longer video of the game.

36 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

No way is that Wilkins and your wrong about Ian Britton it's definitely Johnny Bumstead.although your right about Wolstenholme. Langley 8 Ian Britton is number seven. Eleven is Trevor (two goals in his first two games fuck all else) Aylott.

57 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Ray Wilkins wasn't playing that game, think he was injured before (probably explains the ridiculous score

Don't think Bob Iles in goal helped.:). I remember we bought him for £5,000 with another five grand to Weymouth if he played thirty games he never made it to thirty thank fuck.

Have to say I'm delighted we never had to leave the Bridge just couldn't imagine watching Chelsea anywhere else. Really wasn't happy about the proposed move to Battersea a few years ago. I've sat or stood in every part of the ground except the middle tier of the East Stand and the middle tier of the West Stand since my first game in 1975. So that's the Shed, West Stand seats, benches, and concrete !. Northstand terrace, East Upper and Lower, Matthew Harding and Shed upper and lower. New West Stand upper and lower, Shed temporary seating and West Stand without the roof. And even once in the Northstand with my brother watching us lose 3-1 to Spurs what a fucking nightmare that was.

1 minute ago, Chelsea? said:

How big will the pitch be? Will the fans be close or far. Hope it's nothing like that West Ham field. 

West Ham are used to having big fields so they can cram in all those caravans a sort of home from home :D

On 07/03/2017 at 1:32 PM, Chelsea? said:

How big will the pitch be? Will the fans be close or far. Hope it's nothing like that West Ham field. 

When you are trying to squash a 60000 seat stadium on a tiny site, i doubt it is even possible to have  a large field. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, BoyBlue96 said:

Saw this on the FC Bayern Twitter

Not bad. 

Arsenal may be sold out every game that doesn't mean fans are turning up hence the huge number of empty seats especially in cup matches. I notice Man City isn't on the list usually the Etihad is emptier than a hermit's address book:)

25 minutes ago, Fernando said:

We trying to make 60k stadium right? 

Do we have the option to expand that in the future? 

As I think 60k for now is good, but who knows if in 10 years we might want to push it more because of demand? 

????   Expand to where ????