The English Football Thread

Steve

He has been pretty good for Everton. I couldn't think of any decent DM that could play over him.

I'd probably go for something like this at Brazil

Hart

Baines - Jones - Cahil - Johnson

Gerrard - Wilshere - Barkley/Henderson

Llana - Rooney - Townsend/Sturridge

• Replies 65.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

I'd probably go for something like this at Brazil

Hart

Baines - Jones - Cahil - Johnson

Gerrard - Wilshere - Barkley/Henderson

Llana - Rooney - Townsend/Sturridge

Maybe that would work. Johnson and Hart have been fucking awful though. Even Liverpool fans are sick of Johnson.

I forgot about Wilshere to be honest. Maybe I could move Carrick to the DM spot and replace Barry with Wilshere.

I picked Smalling because he has played with Jones a lot.

Nobody said anything about Carrick being in the B2B role...

Smalling might have played a lot with jones, but that hardly makes up for his shitiness.

You have lined up in a 4-3-3 which has barry in it who can play nothing else than a DM, so by default gerrard and the other midfielder get more mobile. Otherwise it would be the same story for these guys as was against germany, sitting too deep and simply no transitiom from defence to attack.

Maybe that would work. Johnson and Hart have been fucking awful though. Even Liverpool fans are sick of Johnson.

I forgot about Wilshere to be honest. Maybe I could move Carrick to the DM spot and replace Barry with Wilshere.

Yer i'd stick with Hart for this tournament at least. I think his dip in form was slightly over-hyped. I'm not a massive fan of Johnson but I'm not going to lie don't think i've ever heard of Chambers.

Yer i'd stick with Hart for this tournament at least. I think his dip in form was slightly over-hyped. I'm not a massive fan of Johnson but I'm not going to lie don't think i've ever heard of Chambers.

He is the RB equivalent of Shaw that hasn't been hyped to fuck. Plays for Soton.

Smalling might have played a lot with jones, but that hardly makes up for his shitiness.

You have lined up in a 4-3-3 which has barry in it who can play nothing else than a DM, so by default gerrard and the other midfielder get more mobile. Otherwise it would be the same story for these guys as was against germany, sitting too deep and simply no transitiom from defence to attack.

Immobility doesn't equate to sitting deep and no transition. Gerrard and Carrick have immense passing range that gets around their immobility.

Xavi, Alonso and Busquets isn't the most mobile midfield in the world. But it seemed to work well enough for a World Cup and a Euro.

Immobility doesn't equate to sitting deep and no transition. Gerrard and Carrick have immense passing range that gets around their immobility.

Xavi, Alonso and Busquets isn't the most mobile midfield in the world. But it seemed to work well enough for a World Cup and a Euro.

Seriously? Comparing the english mid to spain's. Well the difference would be that barry is not half the player xabi/busquets is. Lalana is compared to iniesta here, walcott is compared to silva/fab. And the worst thing is that while the spanish play tiki-taka to perfection I don't expect england to win the posession stat against any team even in the group stages.

Also do not forget that spain had a brilliant defense to accompany their mid, that's hardly what u can say about england's defence.

Carrick and gerrard might be great passers of the ball but I think so is frank plus he is a thousand times greater threat to the opposition goal than carrick is plus would definitely give the team a lot more than carrick playing in that mid field 3. I think even walcott would be a better option thab him.

The England national team fascinates me. Here is how I'd manage the bastards:

Starting XI

Lallana - Rooney - Walcott

Gerrard - Carrick

Barry

Baines - Smalling - Jones - Chambers

Forster

Cahill-Jagielka in defence. Sturridge instead of Walcott since he's injured. but yeah, this looks a lot better than the actual team with Johnson, Welbeck etc

Seriously? Comparing the english mid to spain's. Well the difference would be that barry is not half the player xabi/busquets is. Lalana is compared to iniesta here, walcott is compared to silva/fab. And the worst thing is that while the spanish play tiki-taka to perfection I don't expect england to win the posession stat against any team even in the group stages.

Also do not forget that spain had a brilliant defense to accompany their mid, that's hardly what u can say about england's defence.

Carrick and gerrard might be great passers of the ball but I think so is frank plus he is a thousand times greater threat to the opposition goal than carrick is plus would definitely give the team a lot more than carrick playing in that mid field 3. I think even walcott would be a better option thab him.

I didn't compare. If you actually read my post you will notice that I never actually compared the two sides. I merely stated the immobility does not equate to a stagnate midfield and I used Spain's midfield as an example.

Cahill-Jagielka in defence. Sturridge instead of Walcott since he's injured. but yeah, this looks a lot better than the actual team with Johnson, Welbeck etc

Cahill-Jagielka could work. I suppose it's probably better than Smalling - Jones.

I didn't compare. If you actually read my post you will notice that I never actually compared the two sides. I merely stated the immobility does not equate to a stagnate midfield and I used Spain's midfield as an example.

well, you used an example to do what? prove a point, right? but using spain's midfield as an example here could not be more inappropriate. the approach to the game that these 2 teams have could not be more different.

also spain's team in WC did lack mobility. and that was one of the reasons that they scored 8 goals (i think) in the whole of WC. and like i said before their success had a lot to do with a solid defence which england dont have. add to that the fact that the english mid wont have 10% of the understanding and the overall passing ability that the spanish team have (dont forget that spain literally play 4-6-0 sometimes and each and every1 of those midfield players is a great passer of the ball), i just doubt if the example is a valid one here.

anyways, getting too off-topic and off the original point. i just simply cant see the benefit of playing carrick in THAT role (DM i can totally understand) instead of lamps. specially since a 35 year old lamps still has the legs on a 31 year old carrick, has as good a passing ability and definitely is a far greater goal threat (which would be very useful since i cant see where england's goals would come from). so lets just agree to disagree about it.

The England national team fascinates me. Here is how I'd manage the bastards:

Starting XI

Lallana - Rooney - Walcott

Gerrard - Carrick

Barry

Baines - Smalling - Jones - Chambers

Forster

I think this would be a much more realistic English lineup for Brazil:

Starting XI

Lallana - Rooney - Sterling/Lennon

Gerrard - Wilshere

Barry

Baines - Cahill - Jags - Walker

Forster

well, you used an example to do what? prove a point, right? but using spain's midfield as an example here could not be more inappropriate. the approach to the game that these 2 teams have could not be more different.

also spain's team in WC did lack mobility. and that was one of the reasons that they scored 8 goals (i think) in the whole of WC. and like i said before their success had a lot to do with a solid defence which england dont have. add to that the fact that the english mid wont have 10% of the understanding and the overall passing ability that the spanish team have (dont forget that spain literally play 4-6-0 sometimes and each and every1 of those midfield players is a great passer of the ball), i just doubt if the example is a valid one here.

anyways, getting too off-topic and off the original point. i just simply cant see the benefit of playing carrick in THAT role (DM i can totally understand) instead of lamps. specially since a 35 year old lamps still has the legs on a 31 year old carrick, has as good a passing ability and definitely is a far greater goal threat (which would be very useful since i cant see where england's goals would come from). so lets just agree to disagree about it.

Playing Gerrard, Carrick and Barry together are just overkill. I probably will drop either Carrick or Barry and play either lamp/Wilshere.

Playing sturidge on the wing is just suicide because he does not want to track back, losing Walcott is a big loss imo

Playing Gerrard, Carrick and Barry together are just overkill. I probably will drop either Carrick or Barry and play either lamp/Wilshere.

Playing sturidge on the wing is just suicide because he does not want to track back, losing Walcott is a big loss imo

totally agree.

MotD is such a joke. Watching the highlights of Stoke Man Utd, they made Man utd look better than they were.

Not the first time their highlights are biased as hell. I remember watching it after a very good performance by us and they were making the match looked much more even than it was.

MotD is such a joke. Watching the highlights of Stoke Man Utd, they made Man utd look better than they were.

Not the first time their highlights are biased as hell. I remember watching it after a very good performance by us and they were making the match looked much more even than it was.

have you got a link of the Motd?