The English Football Thread

Steve

2 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

On both occasions Valencia have been in our group, we've reached the final.

Crazier things have happened emoji6.png

Would be almost poetic if we knocked Liverpool out in the semi (while they won their first title for decades) and then went on to win in Istanbul.

Would quite literally be a roles reverse of 2005.

• Replies 65.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Phil Jones outplayed him tonight

LOLOLOL

btw

Mee and Tarkowski were immense

Would be almost poetic if we knocked Liverpool out in the semi (while they won their first title for decades) and then went on to win in Istanbul.
Would quite literally be a roles reverse of 2005.
I just see us ruining their parade somehow. CL talk is a big ask, but we do have to go to Anfield where more will arguably on the line for us.

End their unbeaten stretch along with avenging Alonso's goal which ended our unbeaten home record in the process.

2 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I just see us ruining their parade somehow. CL talk is a big ask, but we do have to go to Anfield where more will arguably on the line for us.

End their unbeaten stretch along with avenging Alonso's goal which ended our unbeaten home record in the process.

You've just reminded me that we're the visitors when they lift the thing :drunk:

I know the CL is unlikely to say the least, but in my view no half decent team can be ruled out in knockout football, however in the likely event of failure I would love a good run at it, the CL isn't just about winning it but making memories aswell.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Err, check the table again and see it properly this time. 

The will eventually leapfrog, because they will be only 3 points behind, and will get a moral boost If they beat Liverpool, they are playing better football. If Wolves beat Liverpool tomorrow they will get the 4th Champions League spot.

Believe me, I check PL table every day. Just Google 'Premier League Table' and Google will give you complete info about the league.

42 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

I thought we were in a bit of a mess but dear me that United side....Burnley just picked them off with ease.

Rio Ferdinand was embarrassed last night

Basically the only difference is our winning run. Besides that we are on the same level. 

22 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Basically the only difference is our winning run. Besides that we are on the same level. 

Beg to differ. I'd argue our squad have more quality than theirs, have more levels to get up but they aren't performing to the standards required!

Exclusive:

Revealed: the scale of Manchester City’s FFP breaches before 2014 Uefa deal

Accounting rejected and £118.75m of sponsorships questioned
 City could face Champions League ban in second Uefa inquiry

Gianni Infantino was Uefa’s head when a settlement with Manchester City was struck in 2014.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/22/manchester-city-financial-fair-play-breaches-2012-13-accounting-sponsorships-uefa-champions-league

Manchester City were found to have made inadmissible submissions to Uefa over financial fair play in 2014 and were reported for not making their bank statements available, the Guardian can reveal.

City’s submissions for the 2012 and 2013 financial years were questioned in relation to £118.75m in sponsorships from companies in Abu Dhabi, the home state of the club’s owner, and their accounting methods over transfer fees and the formation of two new companies were rejected.

Almost £60m was added to the club’s losses by the European game’s governing body as a result of findings relating to accounting methods, the Guardian’s investigation can reveal.

The findings against City were made by consultants appointed by Uefa in spring 2014 to delve further into the accounts the club submitted. The Guardian can reveal Uefa concluded City had made losses totalling approximately €180m in 2012 and 2013, vastly exceeding the €45m FFP maximum deficit allowed, provided those losses were covered by an owner.

Uefa’s first inquiry into City over FFP has been known about for six years. So too has the deal which City eventually and reluctantly agreed with Uefa to limit their transfer spending. But the detail of the process, revealed today by the Guardian, has never officially been made public.

The Guardian understands that within Uefa there were people who believed the regulations should have been more strictly enforced in 2014 and one staff member working on FFP is said to have left shortly after the settlement was agreed.

The exposure of these details has come as a second investigation into City’s FFP compliance, sparked by revelations in November 2018, is nearing completion.

The Abu Dhabi sponsorships became bitterly contested issues in November 2018 when Der Spiegel published “leaked” internal City emails and documents which suggested the club’s owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, was largely funding the Etihad sponsorship deal himself, unknown to Uefa.

The “adjudicatory chamber” of Uefa’s Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) is understood to be hearing the charges made against the club this week.

If its panel finds the charges proven it could ban City from the Champions League, the trophy the club has most coveted since the start of Mansour’s £1.3bn project and transformational 2016 appointment of Pep Guardiola as manager. City are certain to appeal against any adverse finding to the court of arbitration for sport.

In 2014 European football’s governing body was led by the now Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, and leaks published in 2018 by Der Spiegel appear to show he was personally involved in the settlement.

snip

more

Manchester City feel the heat over financial affairs – what’s at stake

Uefa feels champions have questions still to answer over their FFP dealings and it is possible they could be excluded from the Champions League

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/22/manchester-city-ffp-uefa-whats-at-stake-champions-league

rotten to the core!!!

sold their arses for blood-soaked Arab cash

I wouldnt call it fortunate that all our rivals are dog shit.....its bloody miracle imo. We should be nowhere near top4. If utd get Poch its a done deal cuz Ole is utterly horrible.

If they had 1 ounce of ambition Ole would have been sacked and Poch coming in......he would would transform them and with utd's revenue he could get quality in asap and top 4 even harder to reach.