The English Football Thread

Steve

56 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

the million dollar question, did the frigging ball cross the line? VAR would have been useful for sure back then, who knows what could have happened? we missed too many chances over 2 legs against them anyway and we payed the price for it :( 

I guess things happen for a reason, otherwise the miracle comeback of Instanbul wouldn't have happened and the rest is history. We finally got it in 2012 in the most dramatic fashion possible, so it makes up for it.

Lampard said the same thing after the CL final. It made it up for the past. Beating Bayern at their home in penalty with Drogba the last taker. 

Epic! 

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

11 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Think he'll give them a considerable boost this season but it gets sketchy in the summer. Basically will need an entirely new back 4. Will Eriksen be happy now and want to stay under Mou?

They need some major surgery and I can't see Levy giving Mou the absolute dump truck full of cash needed to rebuild. Mourinho is still a big enough lure to get them some nice signings in his first season I suppose. Plus the lure of London.

What a weird appointment, though. Both from Spuds' perspective and Mou's. Like Arsenal, Spuds seem like the opposite sort of club that would be interested in him. They claim to be all about class, dignity, bringing through young players, playing exciting footy. They don't spend loads of cash and don't ever have a controversial figure representing the club. From Mou's perspective, I feel like if he had waitied until the summer he could've gotten a bigger, better job.

Will be interesting to see how Mou reacts after a coup,e of transfer windows in which Levy refuses to buy from the top of the tree or after his top target chooses a rival PL club over Spuds. Who knows, maybe Levy has changed and will spend like the big boys now.

Remember when Conte left juventus bec they didn't spend and in comes allegri and get good players coming in. 

Imagine if the same thing happened here? ^_^

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

I think the point Jason is making that he could have still got on with it and focused on getting the best out of what he had despite not getting it all his own way. The way Lampard has managed a potentially perilous situation has well and truly taken away the transfer market excuse from Mou.

And I think it runs a lot deeper than players supposedly downing tools, they supposedly did the same under Conte yet we still finished within one win of top four, they supposedly did it under Ancelotti yet finished 2nd. Even that squad not putting in maximum effort shouldn't be getting toyed with at home to Southampton, Bournemouth, Palace and the worst Liverpool side for generations, when that happens you have to look at the coaching.

Believe me I did not absolve Jose of his mistakes, but that one season was a complete anomaly. What happened in 15/16, we won't see it happening to any big team (top 6) in our life time, it was a freak show. 

My only issue is that using it as a stick to beat down Jose. 

Anyways, I don't even know how the discussion came to it. My main point of contention was calling Jose a cheque book manager, which I just don't agree with. Among all the top managers (Jose, pep, Carlo, etc etc), I think Jose is the only one who can hold his own with a decent/good squad. We have already seen how pep performs if he does not have 18 world class players in his squad. 

6 minutes ago, Mana said:

I've been saying it all along, Mourinho was never a blue. He went to bed with Spuds, that's solid evidence that he isn't Chelsea.

When he was at Chelsea, to him it's only his job. Never loved the club (and if he said so, it was a lie to play with our heartstrings).

It was all about him. Him only.

I think he did but it wasn't unconditional like it was for the old guard/RDM etc.

I think he always expected to either be successful with us or failing that at our expense, so his two spells here and Inter in between worked out exactly how he liked it. Conte's title win while he was in 6th with United was the first time we were better than one of his sides (while not together) in his entire career which is when (in my opinion) the bitterness from his side started.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I think he did but it wasn't unconditional like it was for the old guard/RDM etc.

I think he always expected to either be successful with us or failing that at our expense, so his two spells here and Inter in between worked out exactly how he liked it. Conte's title win while he was in 6th with United was the first time we were better than one of his sides (while not together) in his entire career which is when (in my opinion) the bitterness from his side started.

We were def far better in his first season with Inter.....and if the ref had given that stonewall pen in Milan we likely would have gone through and not them imo.

37 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

We were def far better in his first season with Inter.....and if the ref had given that stonewall pen in Milan we likely would have gone through and not them imo.

I'm not sure tbh, I feel those two years was when the decline of the old guard subtly began despite winning the title in 2010. IIRC Hiddink himself said we needed a rebuild just after he left.

problem with football these days.

Team doesn't do well they think it is the manager. #sad

I hate spurs but I liked what Poch did with them, he bought them back to where they are right now. I don't think any other manager managed to do that. During his tenure Spurs looked like a team who will make it to top 4(sadly).

Mourinho + Levy a match made in hell. :D

Let the countdown begin for when they will fire JM :D 

Everyone seems to be quite sure how this is going to end. And I tend to agree with that, considering all the stuff and Mourinho's history. I just really hope we won't be proven wrong and there will be no major shock and nothing major will be won. Or nothing. At all.

10 minutes ago, milan.cech said:

Everyone seems to be quite sure how this is going to end. And I tend to agree with that, considering all the stuff and Mourinho's history. I just really hope we won't be proven wrong and there will be no major shock and nothing major will be won. Or nothing. At all.

He's a changed man...