The English Football Thread

Steve

The government used billions of our money to save a few banks, and they can spunk billions of our cash on wanky HS2 vanity projects.

They should step up and save Bury and Bolton until  'fit and proper persons' are found to buy the ailing clubs. It's not just football clubs we're talking about here, but communities and traditions that have been around for over a century.

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

45 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

The government used billions of our money to save a few banks, and they can spunk billions of our cash on wanky HS2 vanity projects.

They should step up and save Bury and Bolton until  'fit and proper persons' are found to buy the ailing clubs. It's not just football clubs we're talking about here, but communities and traditions that have been around for over a century.

The worse thing for me FB is the fit and proper tests that the EFL are supposed to do. They were told that the people buying Bury were as dodgy as fuck yet they let them take over and then the final insult they expell Bury from the Football League when everything they were warned about happens a self fulfilling prophecy if you like.

Bolton could be next Coventry are in trouble, Notts County, fair play to Portsmouth who have bounced back and look a lot more stable. As old school Chelsea we know how we nearly went to the wall several times in the past and we were skating on extremely thin ice in 2003.

But Bolton brings back such great memories 2005 but also 1978 when we were 3-0 down and won 4-3 a season where we won 3 home games all year and I was at two of them.

3 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

The worse thing for me FB is the fit and proper tests that the EFL are supposed to do. They were told that the people buying Bury were as dodgy as fuck yet they let them take over and then the final insult they expell Bury from the Football League when everything they were warned about happens a self fulfilling prophecy if you like.

Bolton could be next Coventry are in trouble, Notts County, fair play to Portsmouth who have bounced back and look a lot more stable. As old school Chelsea we know how we nearly went to the wall several times in the past and we were skating on extremely thin ice in 2003.

But Bolton brings back such great memories 2005 but also 1978 when we were 3-0 down and won 4-3 a season where we won 3 home games all year and I was at two of them.

Classic games. Sadly Bolton and Bury could just be the start of  a domino effect.

Definitely those 'fit and proper' tests seem to involve 'How big a wodge will I get ?' -and as you say let's not forget that we were within a gnats pube of going down the pan when we were bought for a pound by Capt Birdseye, and that the Prem clubs are all owned by people who want to get richer, and they only bought them because of the massive TV revenue.

10 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Classic games. Sadly Bolton and Bury could just be the start of  a domino effect.

Definitely those 'fit and proper' tests seem to involve 'How big a wodge will I get ?' -and as you say let's not forget that we were within a gnats pube of going down the pan when we were bought for a pound by Capt Birdseye, and that the Prem clubs are all owned by people who want to get richer, and they only bought them because of the massive TV revenue.

Mind you every cloud FB Dean Saunders has just been sentenced to ten weeks inside. He refused to give a breath test the arrogant prick I hope he ends up doing solitary in the nonce wing.

5 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Mind you every cloud FB Dean Saunders has just been sentenced to ten weeks inside. He refused to give a breath test the arrogant prick I hope he ends up doing solitary in the nonce wing.

Good. Never forget what the Bindipper cunt did to our Paul Elliot.

2 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-49497817

Judge Sanders  = proper Chels

Arsenal transfer target Joachim Andersen reveals why he snubbed offers to join Lyon

The defender was a major target for the Arsenal hierarchy over the summer

Arsenal enjoyed a solid transfer window, despite their financial restraints, signing William Saliba, Nicolas Pepe, Dani Ceballos, Kieran Tierney and David Luiz.

The last of that list was brought in on deadline day as Unai Emery desperately sought defensive cover.

Arsenal were linked with a number of centre-halves over the summer, including Joachim Andersen.

The Dane was expected to leave Sampdoria for north London before Lyon won the race for his signature.

And Andersen has revealed there was interest from some big clubs - but playing in the Europa League did not appeal to him.

There were good clubs, but Lyon were the best choice for me," he told Foot Mercato.

“I wanted to develop as a player, play the Champions League, be in a top team that fights for the title and Lyon was the best solution.”

1_ANDERSEN.jpg

I think he is going to be a beast

Harry Maguire has not solved Man Utd's problems

The Telegraph

Friday, August 30, 2019

Football Nerd tmg_smt_glyph_sport.png

United have an awful defensive record this year

By Alistair Tweedale

Harry Maguire reacts after defeat to Crystal Palace

Jose Mourinho insisted throughout his time as Manchester United manager that the quickest, easiest and most effective solution to their defensive problems was to spend big on an established centre-back. After half a season of trying to change things with the same group of players, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer gave up over the summer and convinced the club's hierarchy to splash out to the tune of £85m on Harry Maguire.

Following the 4-0 thrashing of Chelsea on the opening weekend of the season, conclusions were being jumped to about Maguire leading United into a new dawn. He had brought calm, assurance and leadership to an otherwise lost defence in that win, but since then it has been very much back to the United of old.

Indeed, the honeymoon period that Solskjaer initially enjoyed is now long forgotten, and United's defensive record remains a particular concern.
Over the 15 games since the goalless draw with Liverpool on 24 Feburary, United have kept just the one, solitary clean sheet - that coming against Chelsea at the start of this season. That leaves 14 other games in which they have conceded at least once - and in half of those at least two goals have been shipped.

Harry Maguire has not solved Man Utd's problems

Familiar defensive frailties were exposed by Crystal Palace last week as United fell to a desperately disappointing home defeat. United had 22 shots and scored once. Palace had just 29 per cent possession, managed just five shots all game and scored twice.

Of the 17 Premier League teams that were in the top flight last season and still are this, only struggling Watford have kept fewer clean sheets over the past 15 rounds of matches. Incredibly, United have the same number of Premier League clean sheets since February as newly-promoted teams Aston Villa and Sheffield United.

So what hope for United going forwards? Maguire may well steady the ship eventually, but they face a tough game in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off against a Southampton side who have scored in each of their last 15 home Premier League games.

United's poor recent record suggests there is something more fundamentally wrong than the oversimple assumption a sizeable force like Maguire could plug the gap. To realise their top four ambitions, Solskjaer needs to make significant improvements - and fast.