The English Football Thread

Steve

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

How many times are we going to celebrate goals only to have the rug pulled out from under our feet?

I get it for obvious errors but every little thing is ridiculous, it's going to to ruin the game.

But that one is not little thing. They won't chalk that goal off if Laporte tuck kane shirt a bit. But handball is very simple rule especially on the offensive side. If it touch your arm is not a goal

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

which is insane in this case as it BARELY and ACCIDENTALLY brushed his arm when he was in on/off contact with another opposing player

last season and before it was a legal goal

NO ADVANTAGE was gained in the slightest

2 minutes ago, communicate said:

But that one is not little thing. They won't chalk that goal off if Laporte tuck kane shirt a bit. But handball is very simple rule especially on the offensive side. If it touch your arm is not a goal

only now, post summer rule change

last year, it would have stood, VAR or not

For us, it is better for city to win this game. Our goal is top 4 and spurs is one of our rival. I honestly don't see us competing with this city team, they are so good. They created  ton of chances while conceding almost nothing against spurs. Not any team spurs. That is just ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, communicate said:

For us, it is better for city to win this game. Our goal is top 4 and spurs is one of our rival. I honestly don't see us competing with this city team, they are so good. They created  ton of chances while conceding almost nothing against spurs. Not any team spurs. That is just ridiculous. 

i want Shitty to win every game except against us so the bindippers roll up 100 points and still LOSE

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

only now, post summer rule change

last year, it would have stood, VAR or not

Yeah, I know about the new handball rule especially on the offensive side. You may not like it but for me this is just a small thing. 

My biggest concern this season with VAR is defensive handball because it was implemented very2 poorly in UCL but so far it has been good. 

7 minutes ago, communicate said:

It was ball to hand, accidental. I'd prefer human error to this, sucks the joy out of the immediate aftermath of a goal, imagine scoring what we think is a CL winning goal only for it to be chalked off a minute later for a ball to hand?

For sure have an extra pair of eyes in the studio to flag up obvious errors IMMEDIATELY so there's no minute celebrations for nothing, but little things like ball to hand or whether a player's cock is offside getting called back a whole minute after celebration is too much.

19 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I know I have said it before, but it really isnt 'unlimited' spending at Shitty

could it be? yes, obviously, they have an ownership group that controls a trillion quid

but their all time biggest transfer is de Bruyne, at only £68m

they spend SMART money

they spent £89m net this summer, brought in two great players, and some lesser ones that they will sell for a good profit LB Angeliño (exercised a buy-back option) and RB Pedro Porro (who is only 19yo and may end up starting for them one day anyway)

all last year they bought one player of any import, Riyad Mahrez, only a total of £21m net spend

two years ago, YES, that was a one monster spend year

but they spent around the same (£205m net)

that PSG spent on ONE player (Neymar) and only a little more than PSG spent on another (Mbappe)  Barca spent £275m on Coutinho and Demebele alone

look at what Shitty got that year (and they sold the last two already for a combined £12m pure profit)

9d3774719aee082751cd883ebedcd2b7.png

the year before, they spent £160m net but again look at what they got and they made a combined £15m off selling just Rulli and Mooy

86127a2b79874e3344b081ced2d1d7fe.png

the year before

£126m net spend (and this is their last big truly big year)

but again, look at who they got and the prices paid

Sterling alone would go for more than that £126m, dont even get me started on KdB

1d8c1eb18a39f964f5bfbc1c66b4b762.png

for big year net spend comparisons

adjusted for inflation

in 2003-4 we spent £243m net

in 2004-5 £235m net

My man they dont need to spend, they are stacked to the bone man, if anything they need to sell. But I def agree that they spend smartly, thats why having competent folks at the helm is so so crucial, its the difference between also rans and champions. They also dont dare spend atm because of all that ffp issue, pep said wekks ago that they cant afford to spend= they dont have the money which is utter BS, they just dont want to go deeper in shit than they are. I wish our board was half as bright as theirs, maybe come summer we will, cuz we have the means to at least spend 250.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It was ball to hand, accidental. I'd prefer human error to this, sucks the joy out of the immediate aftermath of a goal, imagine scoring what we think is a CL winning goal only for it to be chalked off a minute later for a ball to hand?

For sure have an extra pair of eyes in the studio to flag up obvious errors IMMEDIATELY so there's no minute celebrations for nothing, but little things like ball to hand or whether a player's cock is offside getting called back a whole minute after celebration is too much.

As much as I agree with you but this is the rule, they won't change it until next season. Yes it suck the joy of celebrating goals. Yes it tend to be too "accurate". 

But it is what it is with VAR. I am just being honest, I am not big fan of VAR. But so far the way it is being implemented in EPL has been quite good. 

Just now, Atomiswave said:

My man they dont need to spend, they are stacked to the bone man, if anything they need to sell. But I def agree that they spend smartly, thats why having competent folks at the helm is so so crucial, its the difference between also rans and champions. They also dont dare spend atm because of all that ffp issue, pep said wekks ago that they cant afford to spend= they dont have the money which is utter BS, they just dont want to go deeper in shit than they are. I wish our board was half as bright as theirs, maybe come summer we will, cuz we have the means to at least spend 250.

in a perfect world

all they lack (this assumes the injured players all return and play to level) is one more WC CB

Oleksandr Zinchenko has won me over as a class LB and backup to Mendy

and that missing CB is going to fuck them, IF anything does

Pep knew it, it is why they tried (and backed off due to money) de Ligt and then Maguire

put José Giménez or Marquinhos or Koulibaly on that team, and get their injured players back, and probably not even Barca WITH de Ligt  AND Neymar is better, especially if Barca has Valverde as a manager

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

in a perfect world

all they lack (this assumes the injured players all return and play to level) is one more WC CB

Oleksandr Zinchenko has won me over as a class LB and backup to Mendy

and that missing CB is going to fuck them, IF anything does

Pep knew it, it is why they tried (and backed off due to money) de Ligt and then Maguire

put José Giménez or Marquinhos or Koulibaly on that team, and get their injured players back, and probably not even Barca WITH de Ligt  AND Neymar is better, especially if Barca has Valverde as a manager

Barca were utter crap last night, Girezmann does not suit them imo, and if they get neymar then he will be a side piece. And valverde will most likely get the sack or resign if they dont improve. I actually see AM as the best of the bunch. RM is getting too old, remove Eden and there is not much pace there.

If you ask me VAR should and must have been implemented long time ago. I keep seeing this 'sucks out the joy of celebrations' and frankly I don't get it. Let's forget about our rivalry with Spurs. What about their fans? Or any other fans in their position? Your team concedes in the last minute by a hand ball, but it's still allowed. How do they feel in the aftermath of all this? For me it's about the opposition fans as well, not only about those who's team score and it's dissalowed by VAR. 

Sucks the joy out of celebrations or not, it really does not matter, VAR simply took the right decision and did not allow a team to win after a hand ball (the new rule says it is a definite hand ball) and spares us all from an endless talk of how certain teams bribe entire institutions and refs and so on. 

Just now, Atomiswave said:

Barca were utter crap last night, Girezmann does not suit them imo, and if they get neymar then he will be a side piece. And valverde will most likely get the sack or resign if they dont improve. I actually see AM as the best of the bunch. RM is getting too old, remove Eden and there is not much pace there.

if I had to buy stock based off rising football teams, AM and Shitty is were I would park my money for then next 2, 3 years, AM as long as they can hold onto their players AND Simeone

RM is a mess (do not care if they won 3 1 today, Celta Vigo is close to the worst team in La Liga), Liverpool, if van Dijk and/or Mane go down are not at that level, Juve, well Sarri, CR7 or no CR7, lolol, PSG will soon be Mbappe (and probably not even him I wager) and the muppets

Barca needs to fix themselves, starting with sacking Valverde

Just now, petre.ispirescu said:

If you ask me VAR should and must have been implemented long time ago. I keep seeing this 'sucks out the joy of celebrations' and frankly I don't get it. Let's forget about our rivalry with Spurs. What about their fans? Or any other fans in their position? Your team concedes in the last minute by a hand ball, but it's still allowed. How do they feel in the aftermath of all this? For me it's about the opposition fans as well, not only about those who's team score and it's dissalowed by VAR. 

Sucks the joy out of celebrations or not, it really does not matter, VAR simply took the right decision and did not allow a team to win after a hand ball (the new rule says it is a definite hand ball) and spares us all from and endless talk of how certain teams bribe entire institutions and refs and so on. 

Skipp pulled his arm over

have seen this on replay now 5, 6 times

it was a shit call based off a shit rule