The English Football Thread

Steve

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

Liverpool scored 5 against them City could easily do the same.  They are horrible defensively and yet we didn't have shoot on target against them?! 

Yes, think that says more about the mental state of CFC at the moment. Schizophrenic. :P

• Replies 65k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

Liverpool scored 5 against them City could easily do the same.  They are horrible defensively and yet we didn't have shoot on target against them?! 

Not getting a shot on target against them was definitely rubbish and unforgivable but what I would say is, they are at least OKAY-ish at home. They did thrash Spurs and draw with Liverpool. It's away from home where they are always found wanting.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Not getting a shot on target against them was definitely rubbish and unforgivable but what I would say is, they are at least OKAY-ish at home. They did thrash Spurs and draw with Liverpool. It's away from home where they are always found wanting.

We did get a shot! Just in the 80th minute... Woooohey us. 

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

Since you like comparing the two so much, have you forgotten how bad De Gea was when he first came to England (not that I'm implying or saying Kepa has been bad)? Sure, De Gea has done well overall for Man United all these years but the only reason why he has caught the eye so often is because United concede a lot of shots (a lot more than the other top sides), forcing De Gea to continuously make saves (some his own good work, some because of shit finishing). Is it really a good thing when your keeper has to make so many saves?

This league season alone, United have conceded 13.1 shots per game and De Gea has had to make 90 saves overall - second highest in the league. Us? 8.9 shots per game - third lowest in the league - and Kepa has made 52 saves - fifth lowest but more than Alisson and Ederson, keepers of the current top two sides. Kepa, Alisson, Ederson etc all do make good saves but they just don't get much attention because their team do not put them under pressure all the time. If your definition of a "top class" keeper is only about the saves one makes, then guess everyone except Fabianski, who has made the most saves this season, are bad?

Think majority are pretty happy with Kepa's performance so far. You're the only one who seems to be upset about Kepa because he hasn't made the saves you want him to make. :lol: 

I do remember how poor De Gea was when he first came, hence why I didn't rate him top class at the time. Much like I am doing with Kepa because I am actually taking off my blue tinted glasses and analyse him as a goalkeeper. I'm not sure why you are bringing this comparison up when all it does is strengthen my argument. Mind you, i'm not implying Kepa won't ever get better, I am rating him as he is now, and he isn't a top class keeper. 

Again, I've already stated I have no problem with Kepa in this team. I understand it's his first season and he is doing what he can. I will always be open minded in that regard. However, It's a proper piss take when people who are so ready to pull the trigger on Sarri, defend Kepa with the main argument being 'it's his first season'. Mental how Sarri can't get that same convenience when it's his first season, still doesn't have his players, and is trying to change the entire playing culture at the club. 

2 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I do remember how poor De Gea was when he first came, hence why I didn't rate him top class at the time. Much like I am doing with Kepa because I am actually taking off my blue tinted glasses and analyse him as a goalkeeper. I'm not sure why you are bringing this comparison up when all it does is strengthen my argument. Mind you, i'm not implying Kepa won't ever get better, I am rating him as he is now, and he isn't a top class keeper. 

Again, I've already stated I have no problem with Kepa in this team. I understand it's his first season and he is doing what he can. I will always be open minded in that regard. However, It's a proper piss take when people who are so ready to pull the trigger on Sarri, defend Kepa with the main argument being 'it's his first season'. Mental how Sarri can't get that same convenience when it's his first season, still doesn't have his players, and is trying to change the entire playing culture at the club. 

Defend from what? Who's criticizes him?  Like Vesper said I wouldn't swap him one for one with any other goalkeeper in the world! 

2 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Defend from what? Who's criticizes him?  Like Vesper said I wouldn't swap him one for one with any other goalkeeper in the world! 

In terms of potential, he is up there among the best. As of now, there are literally a handful of keepers better. 

10 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Last I remember, you were the one who brought up the comparison in the first place and as manpe said, if you are gonna compare them, at least compare their first seasons rather than De Gea's 8th with Kepa's first. And no, it doesn't strengthen your argument. If anything, the fact that you just ignored the points/stats thrown at you says it all. 

15 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

People see and believe that Kepa is doing well while Sarri isn't and that's why we have had all the views on the matter. It isn't so much about their first seasons etc. It's as simple as that. If you want to believe differently, then go ahead and do so.

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

Last I remember, you were the one who brought up the comparison in the first place and as manpe said, if you are gonna compare them, at least compare their first seasons rather than De Gea's 8th with Kepa's first. And no, it doesn't strengthen your argument. If anything, the fact that you just ignored the points/stats thrown at you says it all. 

People see and believe that Kepa is doing well while Sarri isn't and that's why we have had all the views on the matter. It isn't so much about their first seasons etc. It's as simple as that. If you want to believe differently, then go ahead and do so.

A member I won't mention stated Kepa is top class. Another member I won't mention also said Kepa is a great keeper. 

I disagreed with them because I have yet to see anything from Kepa to justify that. Too early for that.  Neat distribution isn't enough for me. He hasn't made any saves that have secured us points. Which is what a top keeper does. I then brought up De Gea as he has justified himself by being so highly valued, given he has secured his team points time and time again. 

There was then a massive defence for Kepa stating that he should be compared to De Gea on his first season as well. So again, how does this not strengthen my argument? De Gea wasn't a top class keeper then. Just like Kepa isn't now. 

I find the whole thing ironic given your constant rants regarding Sarri. You need to be consistent with your arguments, especially the 'it's his first season' one.

I can see what Sarri is trying to do and I can also see we have a lack of quality to execute it properly. Even Napoli fans are stating we don't have enough technical players. 

We've come too far to bring Sarri in to just merely sack him and start all over. In a time where the market is SO inflated, a transfer ban looming, and our loan policy to be restricted; We need Stability more than anything. 

35 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

A member I won't mention stated Kepa is top class. Another member I won't mention also said Kepa is a great keeper. 

I disagreed with them because I have yet to see anything from Kepa to justify that. Too early for that.

"Top class", "World class", "Great keeper" - it's all very subjective, isn't it? I don't get why you seem so miffed about it. If you really disagree, then go and argue with those fellas!

Neat distribution isn't enough for me. He hasn't made any saves that have secured us points. Which is what a top keeper does. I then brought up De Gea as he has justified himself by being so highly valued, given he has secured his team points time and time again. 

There was then a massive defence for Kepa stating that he should be compared to De Gea on his first season as well. So again, how does this not strengthen my argument? De Gea wasn't a top class keeper then. Just like Kepa isn't now. 

Neat distribution isn't enough but making saves is? If you're seriously judging whether a keeper is top class (or whatever you want to call it) by the saves he makes, then that is a very myopic way of judging a keeper. And because you kept on insisting about De Gea winning points for United with his saves, I brought up the save stats in the earlier post. I'm sure you have only come to notice De Gea making saves because he's having to make a lot of them. Kepa and the keepers of the current top two sides in the league Alisson and Ederson do make important saves too, they just don't get called upon often and get as much attention as De Gea does. And as for Kepa hasn't made any saves that have secured us points...

I find the whole thing ironic given your constant rants regarding Sarri. You need to be consistent with your arguments, especially the 'it's his first season' one.

You're putting far too much weight on this 'it's his first season'. That is so besides the point. The main point is Kepa is doing well and Sarri isn't, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

"Top class", "World class", "Great keeper" - it's all very subjective, isn't it? I don't get why you seem so miffed about it. If you really disagree, then go and argue with those fellas!

You're putting far too much weight on this 'it's his first season'. That is so besides the point. The main point is Kepa is doing well and Sarri isn't, IMO. 

So then why get all defensive when I disagreed that he isn't top class?  :lol:

The only issue I have with Sarri is his game management. Other than that, we need to be patient with him. Given what the club did to sign him, I can only assume they understand they cannot operate the way we have these past years. The market inflation won't allow us to do so. 

Stability will save this club. Now more than ever. 

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Since you like comparing the two so much, have you forgotten how bad De Gea was when he first came to England (not that I'm implying or saying Kepa has been bad)? Sure, De Gea has done well overall for Man United all these years but the only reason why he has caught the eye so often is because United concede a lot of shots (a lot more than the other top sides), forcing De Gea to continuously make saves (some his own good work, some because of shit finishing). Is it really a good thing when your keeper has to make so many saves?

This league season alone, United have conceded 13.1 shots per game and De Gea has had to make 90 saves overall - second highest in the league. Us? 8.9 shots per game - third lowest in the league - and Kepa has made 52 saves - fifth lowest but more than Alisson and Ederson, keepers of the current top two sides. Kepa, Alisson, Ederson etc all do make good saves but they just don't get much attention because their team do not put them under pressure all the time. If your definition of a "top class" keeper is only about the saves one makes, then guess everyone except Fabianski, who has made the most saves this season, are bad?

Think majority are pretty happy with Kepa's performance so far. You're the only one who seems to be upset about Kepa because he hasn't made the saves you want him to make. :lol: 

100% Agree.

10 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I disagreed with them because I have yet to see anything from Kepa to justify that. Too early for that.  Neat distribution isn't enough for me. He hasn't made any saves that have secured us points. Which is what a top keeper does. I then brought up De Gea as he has justified himself by being so highly valued, given he has secured his team points time and time again. 

I can see what Sarri is trying to do and I can also see we have a lack of quality to execute it properly. Even Napoli fans are stating we don't have enough technical players. 

We've come too far to bring Sarri in to just merely sack him and start all over. In a time where the market is SO inflated, a transfer ban looming, and our loan policy to be restricted; We need Stability more than anything. 

Just so we all know on where I rate GKers

1 Oblak

2 Ederson

3 Alisson

4  ter Stegen

5 de Gea

6 Kepa

7 Big Nose

8 Thomas Strakosha

9  Pau López

10  Wojciech Szczesny

11 Gianluigi Donnarumma

12  Alex Meret

13  Alphonse Areola

14 André Onana

15  Alban Lafont

16 Fernando Pacheco

17 Tomas Vaclik

28 Mattia Perin

19 Anthony Lopes

20 Rui Patrício

Probably 20 or more I would take over Pickford, I think he is absolute shit

13 hours ago, manpe said:

When talking about bottlers you can't leave us out of the conversation. Arse bottled against us in the beginning, we bottled the last one. It's a competition between us who bottles the least.

I would have to have a few just to make sure mate!

Your round innit?  c3d6fc4080340be8e51a040dc30777fc.gif