The English Football Thread

Steve

32 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

As bad as City have been I fancy them to beat Spurs this weekend.

That would be lovely, wouldn't it? Not only to widen the gap for us but also to knock Spuds fans down a peg. 

I just can't see it with the state of City's defense. Luckily, City are home so they shouldn't just roll over like they did against Everton.

• Replies 65k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

That would be lovely, wouldn't it? Not only to widen the gap for us but also to knock Spuds fans down a peg. 

I just can't see it with the state of City's defense. Luckily, City are home so they shouldn't just roll over like they did against Everton.

Even a draw would be good for us. And let's not forget that Spurs will be missing Vertonghen.

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Even a draw would be good for us. And let's not forget that Spurs will be missing Vertonghen.

Any dropped spurs points is great for us. Would love to see a City win for some more breathing room with our Liverpool/Arsenal games coming up. Think they will stick with 3 at the back since they have looked really good with it or go back to 4?

57 minutes ago, Jason said:

True. Forgot about Vertonghen, too. 

Lets hope John Stones decides to put his brain in before the game this time. :D

57 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

Any dropped spurs points is great for us. Would love to see a City win for some more breathing room with our Liverpool/Arsenal games coming up. Think they will stick with 3 at the back since they have looked really good with it or go back to 4?

I think it's still way too early to hope that anyone in the top 6 wins a game. Only three points separate City and Tottenham.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Wimmer and Alderweireld have a good partnership, so can't see him being a big miss sadly. If it was Alderweireld that was out on the other hand...............

36 minutes ago, kmk108 said:

I think it's still way too early to hope that anyone in the top 6 wins a game. Only three points separate City and Tottenham.

fair point, I just see it as maintaining our lead over city while extending our lead over spurs. Any dropped points by spurs is best case scenario for me on Saturday

Good to see agent Claude getting behind us

6 hours ago, akgw13 said:

fair point, I just see it as maintaining our lead over city while extending our lead over spurs. Any dropped points by spurs is best case scenario for me on Saturday

I can see both. The ideal scenario would be one in which all of our titles rivals beat each other while we continue to win at the top. I just worry about one of them going on a run.

Man United will be live on the box for the 56th consecutive time when they play Wigan in the F.A. cup. It's such a piss take and it's apparently just to appease Chinese viewers. Man United at home to Wigan it hardly sets the pulse racing. When you hear pundits go on about the magic of the cup it's just empty words. What do we get on cup final day a 5.30 kick off (again solely for overseas viewers). An Xfactor non entity singing abide with me, the sheer awfulness last year of Tinie Tempah and so many streamers that when the cup is lifted you can't see the players. It's like a second rate superbowl and it's fucking tedious and embarrassing.

36 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Man United will be live on the box for the 56th consecutive time when they play Wigan in the F.A. cup. It's such a piss take and it's apparently just to appease Chinese viewers. Man United at home to Wigan it hardly sets the pulse racing. When you hear pundits go on about the magic of the cup it's just empty words. What do we get on cup final day a 5.30 kick off (again solely for overseas viewers). An Xfactor non entity singing abide with me, the sheer awfulness last year of Tinie Tempah and so many streamers that when the cup is lifted you can't see the players. It's like a second rate superbowl and it's fucking tedious and embarrassing.

"Magic of the FA Cup" has been bastardized by the media and sponsors. The real magic is in the stadiums of these rounds of games.

about the KO time though, I would think a 5:30 KO would make it easier to get home for those traveling to Wembley from other parts of the country. It's also late enough in the afternoon that you can do something else the morning of the match. 

4 hours ago, communicate said:

That he has defend in EPL more, I kinda disagree. I don't think EPL is more offensive but his team is clearly struggling against long long ball

Okay fair enough, I don't concur. Bayern and Barcelona were head and shoulders above everybody else in their respective leagues besides the usual suspect(s) that tried to challenge them, they didn't have to defend much against the lower oppositions. In England defence is just as important as attack, you can lose against anyone even if you hold 70% possession if you don't focus for the full 90. Every manager who has managed elsewhere says that England is different in that regard. In my eyes Guardiola is clearly finding it tough to adapt to a league that sometimes demands approaches different from what he is used to and inability to make his team defend as a unit is on him.

9 hours ago, kmk108 said:

"Magic of the FA Cup" has been bastardized by the media and sponsors. The real magic is in the stadiums of these rounds of games.

about the KO time though, I would think a 5:30 KO would make it easier to get home for those traveling to Wembley from other parts of the country. It's also late enough in the afternoon that you can do something else the morning of the match. 

Quite the opposite as it goes when we played the Scousers in 2012 there was only one train back to Liverpool if it was a three o clock kick off there would have been at least another two. If the game had gone into extra time there would have been no trains at all. When Wigan won the cup in 2013 great day for them and you want to get back to your home town to celebrate with your own because of the 5.30 kick off they weren't getting home till one in the morning. Don't think many Cardiff fans would agree with you after they only got 5,000 against Fulham.

12 hours ago, kmk108 said:

I can see both. The ideal scenario would be one in which all of our titles rivals beat each other while we continue to win at the top. I just worry about one of them going on a run.

Spurs have been for a while now, and they're still 7 points away. 

On their whole 6 consecutive wins, they only gained 3 points on us, so if our run ended at some point theirs will just as much, maybe this weekend against City if we're a bit lucky. 

Maintain the 7-6 points over the top after Liverpool and Arsenal and we're good to attack the final 14 games of the season with huge confidence.