The English Football Thread

Steve

7 hours ago, Kezza said:

I was discussing with someone that we are overperforming and this is proof. If we look at the 5 teams who have had this many points, our current team is nowhere near in terms of quality. Conte is doing great work with us, at current rate we're on course for 94 points at the end of the season which is unbelievable. 

• Replies 65k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

17 hours ago, xPetrCechx said:

Again?!

He is out for the rest of the season unfortunely.

I liked him as a player when he was at Bvb, but its difficult to have such important player who gets injured so often. Same with Aguero or Kompany. City could have some big problems even when Pep completes his team. 

Juan Mata: This is why my spell at Chelsea was better than at Man United
JUAN MATA says the trophies he won at Chelsea means he had a happier time than his current spell at Manchester United.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/570840/Juan-Mata-Chelsea-Man-United

10 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

I was discussing with someone that we are overperforming and this is proof. If we look at the 5 teams who have had this many points, our current team is nowhere near in terms of quality. Conte is doing great work with us, at current rate we're on course for 94 points at the end of the season which is unbelievable. 

But I don't understand this notion that our team lacks tremendous quality. We have Eden Hazard, Deigo Costa, Pedro, David Luiz, Azpi, Kante, Matic, Courtois, Fabregas and the list goes on. They have all won major trophies and play Internation football. 

We are not over acheiving this season. We were under acheiving last season.

11 hours ago, DDA said:

But I don't understand this notion that our team lacks tremendous quality. We have Eden Hazard, Deigo Costa, Pedro, David Luiz, Azpi, Kante, Matic, Courtois, Fabregas and the list goes on. They have all won major trophies and play Internation football. 

I never said we don't have quality ourselves, We have quality in our team, but not on the level of the 4 teams that got a 90+ points tally. Unless you say we are as good as arsenal invincibles player for player, if we're not as good, we are overperforming. 

12 hours ago, DDA said:

When you asses a team you should asses not just their quality but also their weaknesses.

We are playing alonso and cahill as part of our backline

Our midfield lack of balance (Matic or Fabregas)

Our bench consist of 32 and 36 years old cb and one young CB who have just recovered from long injury

That is why people think we overachieve. If we have squad like United or City most of us will think we have been great but not overachieve

United might be 4th in March playing horrible football and their fans would say they will win the league. We win 11 games in a row beating major opponents and our fans would say it is unsustainable.

Because of this difference in attitude they'll always have an advantage over us.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

United definitely still in the title race.

Not sure I'd go that far. Nothing for us to worry about yet, anyways. The likes of Spurs, Arsenal, and City should be very concerned about their improving form and results. Don't think there's a chance they can finish above ourselves and Liverpool.

Just looking at their next 2 fixtures and they have Sunderland and Boro both at home so that's 6 easy points. We (or our rivals) have a couple of poor results then it's time to worry about them.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

Not sure I'd go that far. Nothing for us to worry about yet, anyways. The likes of Spurs, Arsenal, and City should be very concerned about their improving form and results. Don't think there's a chance they can finish above ourselves and Liverpool.

Just looking at their next 2 fixtures and they have Sunderland and Boro both at home so that's 6 easy points. We (or our rivals) have a couple of poor results then it's time to worry about them.

I learned the pessimism from the best :P

Maybe because it's Mourinho and title experience (Tomo will probably point out again that he's not good at chasing leads) that has gotten me worried a little. Seems to have found his best XI, has them playing well and they appear to be on the roll now.

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

I learned the pessimism from the best :P

Maybe because it's Mourinho and title experience (Tomo will probably point out again that he's not good at chasing leads) that has gotten me worried a little. Seems to have found his best XI, has them playing well and they appear to be on the roll now.

People say we are over reliant on Costa but look at them. Zlatan has like all of their goals. Injury to the old man and they're in huge trouble.

Not wishing an injury on anyone but...:P