The English Football Thread

Steve

1 minute ago, Jason said:

No elite finisher? Origi is doing well. Sturridge is back and firing. Granted they aren't world class but Liverpool's style of play is likely to overwhelm us, our defence will crack and they'll score a few goals from it. It'll be like watching that 4-1 defeat from 11/12 season all over again.

True, I suppose. Without Henderson and Can, though, which I forgot about we actually should be beating them.

• Replies 65.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Spurs are going to get their first win at the Bridge next month, aren't they? Can already sense it.

No fucking way mate I was there when that big eared twat scored in the last minute in 1990. Never contemplate that they can beat us ever. 

17 hours ago, Fernando said:

The only team I dislike a lot is Liverpool. 

Did enjoyed that season of Gerrard slip. Even though I talk some trash about Mourinho the past few weeks I have to give it to him. That was one of the best thing he did for me, make that whole stadium cry. ?

Oh what a fun day that was. :):):)

7 hours ago, Pizy said:

They'll win the league. Only us beating them (no chance) and then playing the under 19's against Leicester can stop them.

Come on Pizy, that's ridiculous.

Give or take the odd lad, the 19s are the same squad as the 18s. On top of that most of them either start for the 21s or feature fairly regularly in U21 fixtures. All three age groups have been heavily involved in league races, domestic cups and on the European stage. Throw in the fact that pretty much all of them feature for their national sides, and the lads have already faced a physically and emotionally draining season. With two legs of the FA Youth Cup final still to come, I think it's simply asking too much of the lads to turn out against Leicester. No, in all fairness we should rest the 19s for that game and play the Under 16s instead. They've got to learn sometime after all.

Now, I know what you're thinking; the 16s have had a tough old season as well and they have the stress of school exams coming up soon. Well, I hear you and I share your natural belief that it's really the Under 15 squad that should handle the Leicester fixture. Problem is, that bunch of spoil sports at the FA have some rule that won't allow that. As I said, ridiculous.

:):)

8 hours ago, Pizy said:

Phrase I never, ever thought I'd utter: Spurs are so much better than us as a footballing side.

It's embarrassing. Just a year ago we finished 23 points ahead of them. Twenty three points! Now they now look light years better than us. That is absolutely insane to think about. Our players should think about that and feel ashamed.

Barring the opening few weeks of the season, they were a better footballing side than we were last season as well. There are two explanations for the extraordinary twenty-three point gap.

1. Jose
  2. Mourhino

10 hours ago, Jason said:

And we still gotta go to Anfield. My god. I'm expecting a few more thrashings before the season ends!

Liverpool are the most inconsistent side this league has seen for year's, not since our 01/02 team has their been such a bipolar side.

Yes the side that thrashed City twice United in Europe and Dortmund in the second half might show up and if they do it will be a long night, but equally so might the side that lost against Watford, Newcastle, United in the league, Palace, Saints and West Ham, and if that happens I reckon we can win even if we don't show up ourselves, that's how bad they are in an off day and it happens alot.

The 'positive' thing from our match against City is that it seems we will get trashed too by Leicester at the last game of season, lol.

Yes, now I'm worried about our match against Spurs now. Maybe draw will be good enough.

Not sure where to posted it but a guy from my hometown who is the GK of the Charlton became English champion for a second year in the row. This time for the U-21s. Last year was with U-18s.

It's just surreal remembering when I played football with him in schoolyards 10+ years ago. Happy for the guy. Shame he is Man Utd fan though. :D

Last year he scored from the goal line.

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

Liverpool are the most inconsistent side this league has seen for year's, not since our 01/02 team has their been such a bipolar side.

Yes the side that thrashed City twice United in Europe and Dortmund in the second half might show up and if they do it will be a long night, but equally so might the side that lost against Watford, Newcastle, United in the league, Palace, Saints and West Ham, and if that happens I reckon we can win even if we don't show up ourselves, that's how bad they are in an off day and it happens alot.

Yes, they weren't inconsistent when Klopp took over but in recent weeks, they appear to have found their groove under him. They've lost only once in 8-9 games or something, and that was the capitulation at Southampton. Take that second half out of the equation, they have been good/great.

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

With Sp*rs chasing Leicester, I have a strong feeling during our last game v Leicester there will be much cheering of Leicester goals punctuated by long repetitive chants of "We Hate Tott*nham !"

I fucking love that we play Leicester last. You know we're going to throw it just so Spurs don't win! :lol:

10 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

With Sp*rs chasing Leicester, I have a strong feeling during our last game v Leicester there will be much cheering of Leicester goals punctuated by long repetitive chants of "We Hate Tott*nham !"

That would be brilliant! Imagine the faces of Spurs fans :D Great thing that we have absolutely nothing to play for.

10 hours ago, Laylabelle said:

Guess Newcastle had something to fight for whereas we showed up for a bit then seemed to think sod it and gave up 

Exactly this. Our players heads are in Euro mode or holiday mode and they have completely given up.