The English Football Thread

Steve

MU lovefest continue... Suddenly they are all forget they draw against one of the relegation contenders in their last match, and now all of them think MU will win the PL again.

Great reading what Neville said about MU transfer though.

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

yes ,,a wonderful moment ,,but we were lucky ,, and moving our semi final to Wembley gave us

an extra advantage as well

I bet! Maybe one day I'll experience that. What's your opinion on Gary Lineker? And who was that English player who was a real good dribbler you were talking about?

As so often you are absolutely spot on. Germany is a country that is crazy for football and when you are interested in it, there is no way you get around Özil.

I have actually seen Özil since his Schalke days. I have seen him like most German players every time they played for the NT + on sportschau+ on MOTD. Özil does not run on players. NOt only because he is lazy, but also because he is not good at it. When visiting the GErmany NT trianing camp, I have seen him sprinting without the ball, too-it was not too impressive.

ON the other hand Oscar is not only not lazy, he is one of the most eager runners on the pitch, but he also has a bit of pace. Remember when he beat Höwedes at Schalke to set up Torres goal at Schalke last season. He simply beat a defender, who is not slow himself, for pace. Also he scored our winner at Sparta Prague last season with a very quick injection of pace. Oscar is not exactly lightnig, but he surely is no slouch either.

actually you corrected me on Oscar. He does have it on him sometimes, but I'd say only against medium-paced players. But he doesn't have a chance against fast players. I can remember two or three runs by Oscar beating a marker last season :)

Re: General Chelsea Thread

« Reply #1770 on: September 10, 2014, 11:30:48 AM »
I actually think as much as it is a disgrace from a football fan's perspective it's actually a smart strategy for FFP for Chelsea, at least if you're only looking at the next 2-4 years.

Pay smaller fees when the players are 16-18, then have most of their wages covered by the loanee club while they're gone. If they don't pan out, you can sell them for about what you paid for them or sometimes (De Bruyne, Lukaku) enough of a profit to make the whole thing pay for itself. If they do work out, you bring them into the team when they're fully developed, having spent a minimal fee and paid minimal wages for the years of development in between.

The problem is that they haven't managed to figure out a way to cut their losses on the older players who didn't work. You can see on that list several players who you know will never play a first team game for Chelsea, and the club must know this. However, given the higher wages they had to give to persuade the player to accept the deal in the first place, they can't dump them. Kakuta, Bertrand, Dejac, Davila, Romeu, Moses, Marin - those are the ones they can't dump anywhere, when the smart thing would have been to say if they get to that age and don't look close, it's time to just cut their losses.

I actually think we're going to be using the loan route to develop some of our players as well, though hopefully we can do it without being stuck with players entering their mid 20's who are never going to be worth the contracts they're on and as such as unsaleable. The advantage we have over Chelsea, especially long-term is that we have a manager and a financial budget that means that if a 20-year old has developed into the quality of player that we need him to, he will get time on the pitch in a red shirt. At Chelsea that simply isn't and never will be true.

If he had moved to Liverpool Piazon would be a crucial player for us and looked at as a big part of the future of the club, a la Coutinho/Sterling. At Chelsea, he's an afterthought, a possible way to make a bit of cash next summer to fund a big-money move for another player (who probably plays the same position as him!).

Long-term, it's not sustainable as the Piazons of the future will require so much extra wage money due to the limitations the system puts on their development that it will stop making financial sense, but in the short-term it's helping them out a lot.
Re: General Chelsea Thread
« Reply #1762 on: September 10, 2014, 12:03:35 AM »
Shit house of a club employing shit house tactics in everything they do. Really hope FFP fucks them over in the end. Horrible c*nts.