The English Football Thread

Steve

i disagree about the luck part, when someone scores in injury time to win a game they've always been lucky

no matter how great they've played

That's just not true. Something like 5-10% of all goals are scored in stoppage time. You can't ascribe to luck to what is actually extremely commonplace. In fact, the end of games is actually statistically the most likely time to score. According to this logic, you can outshoot a team 150-0 with 99.9% of possession but if you don't score until added time, you are lucky to win.

If a team outplays another team and they win, it isn't luck. Even if you believe that scoring in injury time was lucky (which it isn't), it then means that not scoring during regular time was even more unlucky. Arsenal were the better team and they won. Where is the luck? Lucky is when a team is outplayed and scores a fluke goal or gets a bunch of big breaks (from referee, injuries, and so on.)

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

The difference between Arsenal and Ramsey and Chelsea and Oscar is that Ramsey gets support when he plays badly (which he did a few seasons ago) unlike here when people can't wait to get on Oscar's back after a run of average or poor games.

Hahahaha I still can't stop laughing at United :D

They have even worse squad then last season and yet some United fans even thought about going for the title this season :D They celebrate LvG like he's the Chuck Norris of football xD

And I absolutely hate formation 3-5-2 and absolutely I'm in love to see United implement it. Can't wait to play them and exploit those wings! Young as a left wing back? :getin: xD

Their squad is just awful, simple as that. The worst United squad I can remember. Evans? Smalling? Hernandez? Carrick? Welbeck? Powel? Fletcher? Cleverley? Anderson? I wouldn't take a single one of them. They need 2 great centre backs, 2 great midfielders and a quality right wing back (unless Valencia can have a good season and stay fit). With players who are available and the inflated transfer market, I doubt they have enough money to plug all the holes they need. I'm sick and tired of Manchesters winning title and it's lovely to see one of them collapsing.

And that cunt Fellaini? Should've got his sorry ass sent of for all the elbows, tackles and knees.

Arsenal weren't lucky. Scoring in the 92nd minute is no luckier than scoring in the 17th. The outplayed Palace. 76% possession. 14 shots to 4. Chamakh should have conceded a penalty that wasn't called, etc...They weren't lucky to win, they deserved it. I always find it funny how much people overreact to one game, especially early in the season. United won 4-1 away to open last season. Arsenal lost 3-1 at home to Villa. The year before that, the eventual champions United lost their opening game. You can't drawn any conclusions about anything from one game whether it be how a team plays or how a player plays. I know it's pointless to say this because no matter, after Monday's game it will be Costa can't score (if he doesn't) or Costa was a steal (if he does). And it won't be Costa. It will be everyone and everything. If we play well, we are going to win the Premier League. If we don't, we screwed up and have no shot. I just wish more people on here had a little more long-term perspective and fewer knee-jerk reactions.

What do we call it if a team outplay another team and bring a draw or lose in the end of the game?

Unlucky isnt it?

So idk if your pov or mine is wrong, but u cant say ppl pov is funny unless its fact, not pov.

Another point of view, arsenal win on posession, chance etc while Swansea did a fantastic job at defending. We can call swansea unlucky for losing it at injury time while arsenal is. Arsenal have WC players and more expensive while every important players at Swanse are often getting sold at the end of the season. Or do you think an attacking minded team always deserve to win?

NB: please remain focus while i mention POV, keep the definition in a proper way, not another :wank2:

What do we call it if a team outplay another team and bring a draw or lose in the end of the game?

Unlucky isnt it?

So idk if your pov or mine is wrong, but u cant say ppl pov is funny unless its fact, not pov.

Another point of view, arsenal win on posession, chance etc while Swansea did a fantastic job at defending. We can call swansea unlucky for losing it at injury time while arsenal is. Arsenal have WC players and more expensive while every important players at Swanse are often getting sold at the end of the season. Or do you think an attacking minded team always deserve to win?

NB: please remain focus while i mention POV, keep the definition in a proper way, not another :wank2:

as most things in life, those are the two sides of the coin. You're as right as he is, although I agree with him.

The difference between Arsenal and Ramsey and Chelsea and Oscar is that Ramsey gets support when he plays badly (which he did a few seasons ago) unlike here when people can't wait to get on Oscar's back after a run of average or poor games.

And I absolutely hate formation 3-5-2 and absolutely I'm in love to see United implement it. Can't wait to play them and exploit those wings! Young as a left wing back? :getin: xD

Their squad is just awful, simple as that. The worst United squad I can remember. Evans? Smalling? Hernandez? Carrick? Welbeck? Powel? Fletcher? Cleverley? Anderson? I wouldn't take a single one of them. They need 2 great centre backs, 2 great midfielders and a quality right wing back (unless Valencia can have a good season and stay fit). With players who are available and the inflated transfer market, I doubt they have enough money to plug all the holes they need. I'm sick and tired of Manchesters winning title and it's lovely to see one of them collapsing.

I remember ALOT of supporters criticising Ramsey in his early days at Arsenal but credit to the player, he put in extra time in the training ground, worked with former class midfielders and turned himself into a top-class CM.

If Oscar can add to his game and become even 70% as influential as Ramsey, every Chelsea supporter would be delighted and we would be much better off as a team.

As for United, out of the list you provided, I'd take Welbeck because he's homegrown and he would probably be useful as a striker/winger off the bench..

Confirmed #LFC team v @SouthamptonFC: Mignolet, Manquillo, Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge

Southampton XI to face Liverpool: Forster, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Bertrand, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Pelle.