Chelsea Officially Signed Willian

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3440090/title/willian-transfer-completed

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Willian.

The 25-year-old Brazilian was today (Wednesday) granted a work permit and has signed a five-year contract, having moved to England from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala. He will wear the number 22 shirt.

On completing his move, Willian said: 'I'm very happy to be here, it's been a dream of mine to come and play here.

'Chelsea are one of the best clubs in the world, and now I'm going to play for one of the best managers in the world, so I'm very happy and looking forward to it.'

Born on 9 August 1988, in Ribeirao Pires, Willian Borges da Silva played at Sao Paulo before moving to Corinthians at the age of nine.

Having made his way through the Brazilian club's academy, Willian rose to prominence in 2005 at the prestigious Copa Sao Paulo de Futebol Junior tournament, which he won with Corinthians before being promoted to the first team shortly after.

Having impressed potential suitors with his performances, Willian's stock continued to rise, culminating in a move to Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk in August 2007.

Possessing trademark Brazilian skills, and with the guile and creativity to unlock tight defences, during his time at Shakhtar Willian won four league titles, three Ukrainian Cups, three Ukrainian Super Cups and, most memorably, the 2009 UEFA Cup, which was clinched with a 2-1 over Werder Bremen.

Chelsea supporters will be familiar with the player after he scored twice at Stamford Bridge when we beat Shakhtar 3-2 in the group stages of last season's Champions League. He also impressed during our 2-1 defeat in the away game.

Willian spent six years at Shakhtar before completing a switch to Anzhi last January.

He made his debut for the club during a 3-1 Europa League win over Hannover and scored his first goal in a 3-0 victory at VN Novgorod.

On the international stage, Willian has been involved with the Brazilian national side at Under-17, Under-18 and Under-20 level, and featured in the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in 2007, when Brazil were eliminated in the quarter-finals by Spain.

He made his Brazil senior debut on 10 November 2011 in a friendly match against Gabon and has two caps. He becomes the sixth current Chelsea player from that country.

Edited by BluesMaster

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm they'll hardly be a place for him in our team if Neymar comes, unless we make a big squad overhaul which I doubt. Not too sure about this, but I did hear a few rumours about him.

As I know, Neymar isnt an attacking midfielder. He is a striker/winger. What do you mean there will be no place for him if Neymar comes? Personnaly, I think easier getting Willain than Neymar, with all the Barca is my dream team thing again.

Wow we are in love with brazilian players. Chelsea has interest in all these Brazilian players after Ramires and Luiz came and with us having Alex. I watched some videos of him and he is a great player. He is 22 but if I compare him with Aguero who is 22 I would pick Aguero which is a much better player and even if he costs more he is worth it.

Willian is a great player but for me its either Neymar this year or after a year or two or Aguero this year or next year.

This is a video I found of Willian and he is very good and talented! Still I go with Neymar or Aguero

Youtube videos can make anyone look good to be fair but this Willian guy is a genuinely good player and I'd welcome him here. Pace, directness, a sweet right peg, strength and enthusiasm. Something you'd be hard pressed to find in the sulky plonker Malouda.

• 1 month later...