How Are You Feeling?

epicsarah-ous

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MOCK exams?? Don't you take those in January, and then do the real exams at the end of the year?? I'm just curious to know. When I was at school, that was the way things worked!

We have exams in January and June, and we have mock assessments prior to both for 'exam experience.'

We have exams in January and June, and we have mock assessments prior to both for 'exam experience.'

that's just awful!!

Zash thanks for the words of encouragement... i know it will pass but I right now it is awful

That's the British education system, though, Kerry. Personally I prefer it, as it breaks up the course and makes it a little more manageable.

I am sure I will get used to it as we have decided to send the kids to the British International School in Shanghai and Nate will do the IGSCE next school year!

I am sure I will get used to it as we have decided to send the kids to the British International School in Shanghai and Nate will do the IGSCE next school year!

Our education system is quite complicated - but I think it gives students the best chance of achieving the grades they want.

In Britain, the first qualifications students sit are their General Certificates of Secondary Education, which they take in their sophomore year at senior high school, aged 16. Then, students can choose to study their A-Levels, which they study at a Sixth Form college from 16 to 18.

Throughout GCSE and A-Level studies, nearly every

has either a coursework element or modular exams. This means, that instead of taking a single exam after two years of study, we have one or two exams at the end of each year, and occasionally exams will be taken twice a year - in January and then in June. These are what we call modular exams, and this means students can resit whichever exams they do less well on. It increases chances of getting good grades and also breaks up the course into more manageable chunks.

Our education system is quite complicated - but I think it gives students the best chance of achieving the grades they want.

In Britain, the first qualifications students sit are their General Certificates of Secondary Education, which they take in their sophomore year at senior high school, aged 16. Then, students can choose to study their A-Levels, which they study at a Sixth Form college from 16 to 18.

Throughout GCSE and A-Level studies, nearly every

has either a coursework element or modular exams. This means, that instead of taking a single exam after two years of study, we have one or two exams at the end of each year, and occasionally exams will be taken twice a year - in January and then in June. These are what we call modular exams, and this means students can resit whichever exams they do less well on. It increases chances of getting good grades and also breaks up the course into more manageable chunks.

Thanks Alex. It makes me feel better about sending them to the British School than to the American school. Honestly, I thought the British school just presented itself much better and the atmosphere was better. The American school was amazing as well but the atmosphere and attitude was not what I want in a school. They also have no dress code (at least none was evident and as a teacher and a parent I was a little aghast at what some of them where wearing (or how little they were wearing!). My kids go to a Catholic school so wearing uniforms is normal to them and they don't mind it (Nathan says it means he never has to think about what to wear in the morning... and since he is not a morning person that is a good thing!). Of course, I almost laughed at the American schools admissions person when she proudly stated that they use the "Iowa Curriculum" because I have no idea what that means. We live in Tennessee and curriculum in the US varies state to state and sometimes school district to school district! Which is why or education system is a mess!!

How am I feeling?? Happy!! My sweetie came home last night after 2 weeks in China and we are going on vacation next week!!

Yeah, I've been to an international school in Toulouse as part of a French exchange. They teach subjects but to an American-style curriculum, and there's little continuity between the way subjects were taught. In England, for instance, we have different exam boards which have different ways of examination and assessment, and a specific course outline. But that means if you study Chemistry on the AQA syllabus, it will have common themes with other AQA subjects, especially Geography, Biology and Physics.