Malouda ignoring Torres?

Henri

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious?

Do you think that he is this kind of player, like Messi and Cristiano, or like Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were in the past ? Pfff. He is a famous player, but not famous enough to sell so may shirts to pay the stupid 50m. He is not as famous as Shevchenko was when he arrived.

Torres at his best is regarded as the Best Striker in the World. He has every attribute needed for a World class striker... Fast,Agile,good in the air,determined ect ect. I still dont know why we hating on FT after 5 games He's on a god damn 5 year contract!

Do you think that he is this kind o player, like Messi and Cristiano, or like Ronaldo and Ronaldinho ? Pfff. UK is not World.

Pfff your head is not World. Torres is well known around the World and he is a superstar. Drogba is as popular as those players too.

You are just bitter that we haven't spent 30 million for Neymar.

I don't quite understand the "5 games, he's a flop" logic but to each his own. The 50M tag - he didn't decide that. Liverpool did (and indirectly Newcastle) and Roman agreed to pay it. The media and everybody and their brother continue to focus on it. The Torres supporters will think its unfair and the tactics and service haven't served him well. The Torres detractors will continue to use the 50M tag and lack of goals to support their argument he's a flop. Nothing more than instant goals would change that opinion. Neither side is likely to change the opinion of the other side. It is what it is.

I continue to have faith and focus on 5 1/2 years and not on 5 games. I hope he proves his detractors wrong which unfortunately seem to include Chelsea fans.

Henrique, I'll respect your opinion of Torres' quality as a player and his performance thus far even if I disagree with your vehemence at this early stage.

You're right, he's not in the Messi and Ronaldo category as far as popularity goes. He's obviously not on their level in performance either—based on current form. But you’re seriously under-estimating Torres’ popularity on a global level, he’s just about a step below the other two guys. When Spain went to South Africa for the Confederation Cup, the Spanish Federation and press were surprised by how overwhelmingly popular Torres was in a country where you wouldn’t think a Spanish player would be. In 2010, he had a terrible tournament but there was still a lot of non-Spanish support for him. People remarked how there were more Torres Spanish shirts than any other player and Spain has guys like Villa, Casillas, Xavi, etc.

Torres has the game and looks to be on the Ronaldo and Beckham level, just not the personality. He’s ultra-private for someone who happens to be a really famous footballer and though he does his fair share of advertisement, he does not court tabloid attention. Ronaldo and Beckham obviously do and have and it’s made them not just famous footballers, but celebrities in general. I think Torres would die of embarrassment if he had to live the life of a celebrity. But it means he doesn’t quite have the commercial clout of Ronaldo and Beckham.

Ronaldo does have more followers on Facebook. Torres is the most popular EPL player on Facebook. What’s remarkable is that he doesn’t even use FB, that site was put up by the PFA. Torres channels everything online through his own website.

Watch what happens when Chelsea travels to Asia this summer. I’m almost certain Torres will garner more attention than all the other Chelsea players combined. Not because he’s a better player than them all, or even deserves it, but simply because he has a broad appeal ranging from hardcore fans to casual followers of football. Get ready to hear a lot of squealing. Go to Youtube to see examples of this when Torres visited Asia with Liverpool.

Torres’ branding, if he can return to playing decent football, will be extremely valuable for Chelsea. And that's the point, Torres doesn't have to be as popular as Messi or Ronaldo. Heck, he doesn't even have to be as popular as Liverpool Torres. He just has to be more popular than any other Chelsea player (globally) and let's face it, this team has won a lot, has a few star players but none of them are in the branding level as Torres (again globally). Aside from the football, I'm pretty sure RA had this in mind in terms of growing Chelsea into the commercial space occupied by clubs like Real, Barca, Man U, Liverpool, etc. To do that, aside from football, you need guys like Torres. There's only one Messi, only one Ronaldo, only one Beckham when it comes to branding and they're already taken. Torres is the next best thing.

Henrique is as usual supporting the unpopular opinion but he's got a point. It's just that people are so defensive about it that they're laughing it off.

I'd like to highlight this very important point:

Second, because there is no merchandise in a striker who dont score.

I too feel that all the commercial momentum that was created by his signing (CFC fans buying his shirts in the first week) is lost due to his goal drought. Hell, in the past few weeks most of the posts in the Sturridge thread have been praising his ability while in the Torres threads you'll see only posts defending him.

I also believe that it will be extremely hard for him to live up to his enormous pricetag and I remember quite a few quality posters who agreed in his transfer topic but he's been a big-game player during his career so I'm optimistic about that.

waste of time arguing with Henriques ...he knows it all ...he is brazillian of course...famous for coffee and nuts

also known for the awesome football, awesome beaches, awesome people, awesome women, awesome culture...Im afraid you've never seen those things, thats why you are a bitter person. :toke:

Pfff your head is not World. Torres is well known around the World and he is a superstar. Drogba is as popular as those players too.

You are just bitter that we haven't spent 30 million for Neymar.

Thanks to Neymar, who decided to stay in Brazil. :eyebrows:

Henrique is as usual supporting the unpopular opinion but he's got a point. It's just that people are so defensive about it that they're laughing it off.

I'd like to highlight this very important point:

I too feel that all the commercial momentum that was created by his signing (CFC fans buying his shirts in the first week) is lost due to his goal drought. Hell, in the past few weeks most of the posts in the Sturridge thread have been praising his ability while in the Torres threads you'll see only posts defending him.

I too believe that it will be extremely hard for him to live up to his enormous pricetag and I remember quite a few quality posters who agreed in his transfer topic but he's been a big-game player during his career so I'm optimistic about that.

I made my points because I believe this is normal. A player with this kind of price will have a different kind of pressure. Hes form in these 5 games were poor. For example, nowadays everybody says Shevchenko was a flop. But he wasnt that bad: in 06/07 season he was really important in the final stages of UCL, he scored a decisive equaliser against Porto in Portugal, he scored the equaliser against Valencia in Spain and gave an assist to Essien in the last minute. We reached the semi-finals because of him. 07/08 he started really good, but his season was doomed by an injury. After only two seasons we decided he was useless and let him go to AC Milan on loan.

So, why was him a flop ? Drogba's two first seasons were far from superb, but while we didnt expected too much from thr african, the ukranian arrived with the status of best striker fof the world, and with a 30m pricetag. The expectations on him were high, since we were hoping him to score 20 or 30 goals a season.

The expectations on Torres are high and he has a 50m pricetag. Thats all.

also known for the awesome football, awesome beaches, awesome people, awesome women, awesome culture...Im afraid you've never seen those things, thats why you are a bitter person. :toke:

lived for years in Kenya , Spain ,,,and France as well as England ...seems you are the xenophobe boy ...travel the world and learn

i would have understood what this all is about if torres 29 or older but for fuck sake he is 26 and this next 3 years are supposed to be his best . so just wait , watch and then criticize .

i can understand why some people like henrique are all over torres's back , specially after the blackpool game as he was woeful in that game but against united he was great , even if he didn't score but he looked sharp and lethal .

and IMO it's not just a coincidence that his worst 2 games were against liverpool and blackpool , where he partnered Drogba .

so let's just analyze why torres is not at his best ?

1- El nino has always had better games with liverpool than with spain and that is mainly due to he fact that he is at his best as a lone striker and not with another striker.

2- if torres has to play alongside another striker , then it should be a SS not another CF .... that is why his better games were with anelka and his worst with Drogba .

3- either he is getting ignored by some players (malouda - Drogba - kalou ). or those players have completely forgotten how to pass the ball to a team-mate .

4- you can watch Torres's games with liverpool and spain , you will know that he is the kinda of striker that will keep making smart moves , getting the attention of defenders without actually participating in game play , leading to a teammate goal ...

or he gets 2 or 3 chances in the game and he buries those chances but the problem here is that he doesn't get the needed service because we only have one player who can actually play a decent through pass (Lampard ) and he is not at his best atm..

with liverpool (Benayoun - gerrard - Alonso) have always provided torres with some killer passes .

i am not too worried about the fact that he hasn't scored yet , i would have worried if he didn't play that good against Man Utd .

and i will be worried if he is still no looking part of the team within the next 5 games .

OH, and Yes! I'm anti Torres......Bad move gettin' the guy, seriously!

Monies coulda been well more spent! Totally p*ssed off by his games, play.....and, what he says to the media?????? WE were the only availability?????