Best Defenders in Chelsea history

Tomo

Defenders poll  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Best right back in Chelsea's history (select 1)

• Peter Sillet
    • Albert Ferrer
    • Dan Petrescu
    • Paulo Ferreira
    • Other (please state)
  2. 2. Best centre backs in Chelsea's history (select 2)

• John Terry
    • Ron Harris
    • Marcel Desailly
    • Ricardo Carvalho
    • Steve Clark
    • John Hollins
    • Frank Le Beourf
    • William Gallas
    • Other (please state)
  3. 3. Best left back in Chelsea's history (select 1)

• Grame Le Saux
    • Eddie Mcready
    • Ashely Cole
    • Celestine Babayaro
    • Other (please state)

Morning Blues, yestoday i done a poll on who was our best keeper in our history, now ill do one on our defenders, when ive covered all positions ill make a thread on what was TC's best ever Chelsea Xl

Who do you think is the best ever defender ever to wear the Chelsea shirt? feel free to cast your vote, if you believe another defender is the best vote other and state it on the comments and ill add his name in the final votes. Another big reason for the other vote is knowing me ive forgotten some-one obvious.

Next up the midfielders and strikers poll which ill add on tommorow.

Ill look at this poll on February 28th and the defenders with the most votes ill add to the TC best Chelsea Xl off all time.

KTBFFH blue%20scalf.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petrescu - Desailly - Carvalho - Cole

Terry is a great leader, a club legend. But I think the other 2 were better centre-backs in terms of pure defending. Would've gone for Chopper too, but never saw him play properly so can't comment. Right-back there's no contest, Petrescu any day. Same for left-back, Ashley Cole is the best we've ever had.

Hopefully one day we'll consider Luiz, Ivanovic & Van Aanholt :eyebrows:

Carvalho. Terry, Droy, LeBouef, Luis, Ashley Cole, Desailly, Gallas, Ron Harris,

These polls are quite difficult. The pace and style of football has constantly evolved. The budget available to the club is probably 10 fold to what it was in the 60s and 70s. So theres no level playing field on which to compare players.....

eg Ron Harris wouldnt have the stamina to compete in the Prem, and even if he did he'd be sent off most games. :whistling:

Lets not forget the one and only Dave Webb - FA cup winning goal 1970 , played a whole match in goal, and scored a hatrick as a centre forward. Hows that for versatility ???

I never saw Ron Harris play obviously but i know enough about the club to say he deserves to be one of our best 2 CBs ever with the current captain JT. As this is a 'History' thing and not a 'lifetime' thing i'll put him in. For me:

Petrescu - Harris - Terry - Cole

Edited by OllieCFC

I never saw Ron Harris play obviously but i know enough about the club to say he deserves to be one of our best 2 CBs ever with the current captain JT. As this is a 'History' thing and not a 'lifetime' thing i'll put him in. For me:

Petrescu - Harris - Terry - Cole

I did see Chopper play ..not our best defender but a true Chelsea Legend ,,An iconic figure in fact ,,some of his most memorable displays

were at right back ..a much easier position to wipe out a flying winger ...

I went for Marcel ...a player just as hard as Ron but with the added bonus of true class . I also credit him with the the development of JT ..

But Ron played in more violent days both on the pitch and the terraces...and outside the ground

I chose Albert Ferrer as right back! I thought he was really solid for us. Played a huge part in our Champions League season in 2000.

You have to have a good leader at the back, so John Terry deserves to be picked without a doubt. Then of course, you need a quicker defender to play alongside him, someone who will sweep the ball away and be creative. Carvalho was certainly that when he was here, so I had to choose him. Desailly and Gallas would have been players to go for as well, but I just thought Terry and Carvalho would be the perfect partnership in defence.

Finally, Ashley Cole at left back. Very quick, likes to make a run into the box, and is a really decent crosser of the ball.