Arsenal vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

I like Mikel, I was quick to praise him earlier in the season like the vast majority on here.

However truth be told Im not a fan of the role he plays, the 3rd centre back position, I think a holding midfielder should be able to get about the pitch, get some tackles in and be generally solid from a defensive standpoint, you couldn't honestly say any of those things in refrence to Mikel.

Once again, agreed. I bought into the hype and song and praise, I don't mean to fault Mikel.. But looking at him at DMF and Essien there, you can clearly see the difference.. Essien wasn't afraid to go up into the other half and bag himself a goal.

Then again, there is the classic argument of whether he's too restricted there in terms of his attacking flare.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It Could be. But all three goals were because of some odd mistakes from midfield and defence.

We must stop with that "we will wait tham and give them possession", we must start using our possession properly. We are wasting balls and we are not creating anything. When we play different Mikel plays well.

I definitely agree with that. Too often tonight when we got possession we were instantly thinking about playing it over the top for our forwards to run onto, we didn't hold onto the ball well enough, we didn't work it up the pitch well enough and we didn't work it into the right areas often enough. Had the balls over the top to our forwards been good then none of us would be complaining but they were bloody awful.

Once again, agreed. I bought into the hype and song and praise, I don't mean to fault Mikel.. But looking at him at DMF and Essien there, you can clearly see the difference.. Essien wasn't afraid to go up into the other half and bag himself a goal.

Then again, there is the classic argument of whether he's too restricted there in terms of his attacking flare.

I just dont understand what he can do that Essien or Ramires cannot. If you tell Essien or Ramires to sit and protect the back four then they will and I believe they could do that job better than Mikel because they are better defensively and because they can get about the pitch much better than Mikel. I think Ramires and Essien can both start attacks from deep, Essien's passing range in particular in excellent. I think Mikel's position and his playing of that position is a bit pointless at times.

Now that's a different question altogether, and we have many holes to fill before looking into such a trivial thing.

To be honest I dont think it is trivial. I dont think its any coincidence that our most successful time was when Makelele played the holding midfield role, Id much rather an active, energetic and defensively sound holding midfielder than a deep lying (in Mikel's case very deep lying) playmaker.

To be honest I dont think it is trivial. I dont think its any coincidence that our most successful time was when Makelele played the holding midfield role, Id much rather an active, energetic and defensively sound holding midfielder than a deep lying (in Mikel's case very deep lying) playmaker.

That's what i've been saying all this time. A player like that is vital in a midfield three in modern football, especially in the PL.

The only team that doesn't need that kind of player in a midfield three is Barcelona but that's only because they've mastered Total Football.

That's what i've been saying all this time. A player like that is vital in a midfield-three in modern football, especially in the PL.

The only team who don't need that kind of player is Barcelona but that's only because they've mastered Total Football.

Exactly, Barcelona are the only team I can think of who successfully use a third centre back (Sergio Busquets) at the highest level. We are not Barcelona, we dont keep the ball as much or as well as Barcelona do, which is why we need a ball winning holding midfielder and that simply is not Mikel, thats not his natural game and he doesn't do it very well.

Anyway I dont want this to sound like a Mikel hate thread because I like him but I think its something which is hindering the team and needs to be changed.

Maka could really on fast and talented players to create upfront. Mikel has a 32year old Drogba, a rather confused Anelka and Kalou(....)

I insist that with the team collapsing Mikel and Cech done their best to save our face. They can't have a huge effect on our play from their positions (just like JT,Ash and Bran) but they were good enough 9/10 times.

Granted Mikel isn't as proven but IMHO it's like asking for Cech to be dropped for a better keeper (i.e. Cudicini) due to the goal he conceded agaisnt Newcastle.

Exactly, Barcelona are the only team I can think of who successfully use a third centre back (Sergio Busquets) at the highest level. We are not Barcelona, we dont keep the ball as much or as well as Barcelona do, which is why we need a ball winning holding midfielder and that simply is not Mikel, thats not his natural game and he doesn't do it very well.

Anyway I dont want this to sound like a Mikel hate thread because I like him but I think its something which is hindering the team and needs to be changed.

Same here.

Absolutely. Sadly CA doesn't realise they're making a complete joke out of him.

IMHO he's not doing himself a favour when all the risks* he has taken during our crisis had horrible results (Ferreira at CB, Drogba on the bench against Tottenham and Essien at DM )

*Keeping in mind how the word risk should be interpreted when we talk about Ancelotti.

Maka could really on fast and talented players to create upfront. Mikel has a 32year old Drogba, a rather confused Anelka and Kalou(....)

I insist that with the team collapsing Mikel and Cech done their best to save our face. They can't have a huge effect on our play from their positions (just like JT,Ash and Bran) but they were good enough 9/10 times.

Granted Mikel isn't as proven but IMHO it's like asking for Cech to be dropped for a better keeper (i.e. Cudicini) due to the goal he conceded agaisnt Newcastle.

Granted Makelele did have better players to work with but at the same time there was no questioning his defensive abilities, again there is no way you could say the same for Mikel.

Personally I thought Cch, Ivanovic and Lampard were our best players on the night and on the whole probably Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Cole and Maloda (early season form more so than current) have been our best players this season thus far.

Its not down to simply 1 mistake or 1 poor performance but my opinion is based on what I think would be for the betterment of the team. Like I said, I dont think a 3rd centre back is needed, I dont think a deep lying playmaker is required (particularly when Essien can do such a role just as well) I think our midfield has lost a bit of its bite, its energy and its drive and I think with Essien in the holding midfield role and Ramires playing alongside Lampard in the midfield 3 you would see a lot more bit, energy and drive about our play than you do with Mikel.

What I learned today is If I can take a win proudly then I have to take defeats gracefully. I dont know how much we will be fucked in next matches. Only wish I am having is that for god's sake chelsea must get Champions league spot. Because once we are out of CL spot we will be fucked royally.

Granted Makelele did have better players to work with but at the same time there was no questioning his defensive abilities, again there is no way you could say the same for Mikel.

Personally I thought Cch, Ivanovic and Lampard were our best players on the night and on the whole probably Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Cole and Maloda (early season form more so than current) have been our best players this season thus far.

Its not down to simply 1 mistake or 1 poor performance but my opinion is based on what I think would be for the betterment of the team. Like I said, I dont think a 3rd centre back is needed, I dont think a deep lying playmaker is required (particularly when Essien can do such a role just as well) I think our midfield has lost a bit of its bite, its energy and its drive and I think with Essien in the holding midfield role and Ramires playing alongside Lampard in the midfield 3 you would see a lot more bit, energy and drive about our play than you do with Mikel.

Unfortunately Ancelotti has already ruled out any changes in our "shape" so I can't see a tactical step like this one happening. Not to mention that a deep-lying midfielder is the trademark of all his successful teams.

I think a change in tactics/faces in our front three looks far more viable and will in my opinion yield better short-time results.

What do you make of Ferreira's performance? I know I'll be labeled a hater so I'd like to hear what a neutral thought.

I have been banned from chelseaforum.com because those people are so full of themselves and biased, thinking that Chelsea's form will return.

I told them that they can have their delusion back and i have stopped posting after 1 day ban.

This is truly crapped. 6 games without win and we are losing so many games. This has never happened even before Roman Ancelotti. Will this be a 14-15 year curse because it was 11 years ago that we have had such a bad streak.

This team is broken and here are the obvious observation.

1. Despite winning the double, Ancelotti is not my man. He won the CL and league with AC too but in the next few years, he ended 2nd,3rd, 4th and 5th before returning to 2nd or 3rd in the league. This man has a track record of regressing because others will catch up with his tactics and adapt, unlike Hiddink or Mourinho

2.Ageing team. How long much we keep depending on JT, Lamps, Drogs or Anelka?

3. Bleeding academy is fine, but you can really a bunch of them on the bench when you need some experience and quality on the pitch. Josh, Kakuta and Sturridge will turn out fine, but they need to play more often, like Bruma and Patrick and should go on loan next season, saved Josh

4. Roman spends more time on his yacht, poker and election. With Chelsea losing 44 mil quids, I question his future committment . Yes, he has done his due for us, thank you, but if we do not spend some money soon, I think Chelsea will be Liverpool No.2. How about winning the Europa League next season instead of playing in the Champion's League?

5. Did the other teams got better? Fucked Manure is just plain lucky, but Man City has bought quality, Arsenal's team has started to mature and Spurs was no where until Rednapp brought 13 players in 2 seasons since he became manager. Rafael Van Der Vaart is sheer quality in Europe, yet we only had an unfit Benayoun and rubbish Ramires. Zhirkov was not his pristine idea. In Ferguson's wisdom, Chelsea did not replace our departed players with quality

Last night's game is a culmination of these factors. The verdict is out -ballack.gif

We need to sack Ancelotti ( stop saying you are confident and repay our tickets for braving out in the cold), and buy at least 2-3 players.

For those who hate me, THIS IS OCTVILLE ! (if you are chelseaforum member, you know what i mean)

Unfortunately Ancelotti has already ruled out any changes in our "shape" so I can't see a tactical step like this one happening. Not to mention that a deep-lying midfielder is the trademark of all his successful teams.

I think a change in tactics/faces in our front three looks far more viable and will in my opinion yield better short-time results.

What do you make of Ferreira's performance, I know I'll be labeled a hater so I'd like to hear what a neutral thought.

Like yourself I dont think Carlo will change the shape or formation of the side but I honestly believe Essien could play as a deep playmaker every bit as well as Mikel can but also be a much more secure player defensively than Mikel is.

Well he gave it his best but realistically he is always going to be the weak link in the back four and the obvious weakness for opponents to exploit, his performances never fill me with a huge amount of confidence and unless there are serious injuries I would not have him in a starting eleven, especially in the big games. To sum it up, great servant to the club, always gives it his best but he is not, nor has he ever been up to the level required to warrant a starting spot at Chelsea.